The Student Room Group

how to do a sociology essay plan?

i'm struggling on how to create an essay plan for sociology, any help?
Original post by td6299
i'm struggling on how to create an essay plan for sociology, any help?

Introduction: introduce the topic, define and key words etc
Main body: 3-4 paragraphs with clear distinct points, relevant evidence, good explanation, linking back to the essay question
Conclusion: summing up what has been said and providing a final answer for the question
Reply 2
Original post by DrawTheLine
Introduction: introduce the topic, define and key words etc
Main body: 3-4 paragraphs with clear distinct points, relevant evidence, good explanation, linking back to the essay question
Conclusion: summing up what has been said and providing a final answer for the question

Thanks for the help and i was wondering for a 30 marker, how many point would be enough?
Original post by td6299
Thanks for the help and i was wondering for a 30 marker, how many point would be enough?

3-4
Is this for AQA? if so, remember you get marks for:
12- AO1
9- AO2
9-AO3
Unlike 20 markers, 30 markers need to be a lot more conceptually detailed referring to the item all along.
I do 7 paragraphs, including an intro and a conclusion. Same structure as a 20 marker, except your paragraphs need to be really detailed, the bulk of your essay is pure knowledge.
evaluate every point you make. i can't be any more specific than that.

6 paragraphs during a 30 marker, 8 including intro & conclusion in a 30 marker.

4 paragraphs during a 20 marker, 6 including intro & conclusion in a 20 marker.

don't waffle, be concise, keep it short and use your best points only.
I got an A* last year and only did 4 paras for 30 markers, 3 for 20 markers.

Obviously with an intro and conclusion
Reply 7
Original post by HumbleBee_x
Is this for AQA? if so, remember you get marks for:
12- AO1
9- AO2
9-AO3
Unlike 20 markers, 30 markers need to be a lot more conceptually detailed referring to the item all along.
I do 7 paragraphs, including an intro and a conclusion. Same structure as a 20 marker, except your paragraphs need to be really detailed, the bulk of your essay is pure knowledge.

i had no idea those were the marks for the assessment objectives, thank you!!
Reply 8
Original post by cheerIeader
evaluate every point you make. i can't be any more specific than that.

6 paragraphs during a 30 marker, 8 including intro & conclusion in a 30 marker.

4 paragraphs during a 20 marker, 6 including intro & conclusion in a 20 marker.

don't waffle, be concise, keep it short and use your best points only.

thank you for the tips, i was also wondering how much time would you recommend for each essay because I do struggle with time management and need to practice under timed conditions
Original post by td6299
thank you for the tips, i was also wondering how much time would you recommend for each essay because I do struggle with time management and need to practice under timed conditions

45 minutes for a 30 mark essay and 30 minutes for a 20 mark essay which is the same amount you'd have in an exam.

brainstorm your best ideas and then put them down. remember - every point MUST be evaluated aka criticised.
for example - ethnicity in education

self-fulfilling prophecy may mean ethnic minority students such as afro caribbeans underachieve.
however, this view is too deterministic as studies have been conducted which manifest that some afro-caribbean girls want to disprove their labels.

(obviously just a concise example dont actually write like this)
make your essay flow with a paragraph linking to the point before with a criticism before moving onto your next point. hope this helped. xx
you'll get an A*/A without a doubt if you follow my advice.
Reply 10
Original post by cheerIeader
45 minutes for a 30 mark essay and 30 minutes for a 20 mark essay which is the same amount you'd have in an exam.

brainstorm your best ideas and then put them down. remember - every point MUST be evaluated aka criticised.
for example - ethnicity in education

self-fulfilling prophecy may mean ethnic minority students such as afro caribbeans underachieve.
however, this view is too deterministic as studies have been conducted which manifest that some afro-caribbean girls want to disprove their labels.

(obviously just a concise example dont actually write like this)
make your essay flow with a paragraph linking to the point before with a criticism before moving onto your next point. hope this helped. xx
you'll get an A*/A without a doubt if you follow my advice.

I'll make sure to do this and use it in the exam, thank you for the advice. I really do appreciate it x

Quick Reply

Latest