The Student Room Group

Applying for Civil Service Jobs.

So, I’m looking to apply for a Civil Service apprenticeship for next year, they’re testing on behaviours and I feel my answers are great, but when I’ve applied before I didn’t get to the interview. Help!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by satsun
So, I’m looking to apply for a Civil Service apprenticeship for next year, they’re testing on behaviours and I feel my answers are great, but when I’ve applied before I didn’t get to the interview. Help!

Of course you're going to think your own behavioural answers are great. It would be odd to think otherwise.

Do you get feedback? Have you tried practicing these types of tests online through sites like JobTestPrep?
Reply 2
Original post by Blue_Cow
Of course you're going to think your own behavioural answers are great. It would be odd to think otherwise.

Do you get feedback? Have you tried practicing these types of tests online through sites like JobTestPrep?

I mean I’m not bragging, but they basically have a mark scheme online for each behaviour, and I made sure I linked in every point.

They were unable to provide feedback as there was so many candidates.
Ask someone else to read through it and compare it to the "mark scheme" and see if they agree. Otherwise, just keep trying.
Original post by satsun
I mean I’m not bragging, but they basically have a mark scheme online for each behaviour, and I made sure I linked in every point.

They were unable to provide feedback as there was so many candidates.

HI, can you post the link to the mark scheme please?
Original post by Chellebell
HI, can you post the link to the mark scheme please?

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/success-profiles

Specifically, the file "Success Profiles: Civil Service Behaviours".
Reply 6
I’ve sent my application now, and I looked at the skills above the grade I was applying for, fingers crossed.
Reply 7
I’m applying for an apprenticeship, and it’s civil service AA/AO, but I made my examples higher levels, because it’s marked from 1-7, and 7 is wholly exceeds the grade, so that’s what I want to do, as people who score the highest get the interviews.
Reply 8
You’re coming across rude and idek why, I was just asking a question.

I’ve applied for these types before, using the grade I was applying for, and I got around 5 on the scale, and I didn’t get the job because others had 6’s and 7’s.

So, idk why you’re getting out ya pram. I just wanted peoples previous experience of the civil service jobs sites, and process.
Reply 9
Yes, and I thoroughly understand your point of view, but in the past, I’ve applied for apprenticeships at this level, and hit a 5, but the position was given to people who exceeded the level at 6’s and 7’s. So if I couldn’t get the job for hitting the grade, why did the others for excelling the grade, so that’s why I thought going one up, would help.
Original post by satsun
Yes, and I thoroughly understand your point of view, but in the past, I’ve applied for apprenticeships at this level, and hit a 5, but the position was given to people who exceeded the level at 6’s and 7’s. So if I couldn’t get the job for hitting the grade, why did the others for excelling the grade, so that’s why I thought going one up, would help.

Exceeding X Grade doesn't mean they were into the next grade up though. It just means that they demonstrated Y behaviour to a level that exceeded X Grade requirements.

There's quite a lot of difference between each number grade, focus on working on your answers to your current grade, rather than trying answer things they're not asking for.
(edited 4 years ago)
Have you ever done/thought of doing a top 10 tips sort of thing for civil service applications?
Reply 12
Original post by Joe1000000
Exceeding X Grade doesn't mean they were into the next grade up though. It just means that they demonstrated Y behaviour to a level that exceeded X Grade requirements.

There's quite a lot of difference between each number grade, focus on working on your answers to your current grade, rather than trying answer things they're not asking for.

I’ve already sent the application now, and I’m doubting myself. The point system after 5 is 6 and 7. 6 is - substantial, includes some evidence exceeding this level and 7 wholly exceeds level. I’ve noticed the people who score 6’s and 7’s get the jobs, so they must be looking at the next level.

It didn’t sound too professional for the job, I only used hints from the upper grade, as previously I’ve hit everything in each behaviour, but missed out due to better applications.
Original post by satsun
I’ve already sent the application now, and I’m doubting myself. The point system after 5 is 6 and 7. 6 is - substantial, includes some evidence exceeding this level and 7 wholly exceeds level. I’ve noticed the people who score 6’s and 7’s get the jobs, so they must be looking at the next level.

It didn’t sound too professional for the job, I only used hints from the upper grade, as previously I’ve hit everything in each behaviour, but missed out due to better applications.

Civil Service roles are very competitive, and unfortunately you're not going to get every role you apply for. Instead I would focus on looking for more opportunities and get some applications in for those as well. I'm assuming you're already searching on the civil service jobs website, but do keep checking on there for more roles.
Reply 14
Original post by Joe1000000
Civil Service roles are very competitive, and unfortunately you're not going to get every role you apply for. Instead I would focus on looking for more opportunities and get some applications in for those as well. I'm assuming you're already searching on the civil service jobs website, but do keep checking on there for more roles.

Yes, I’m currently taking my a-levels (Year 13) but if I don’t go to Uni, this would really be a good opportunity.

That’s why I’ve looked up to the next level, to try and be competitive. All the situations I gave were true, so it’s not going to come across as though I’m applying for a managers position.
I'm glad someone enjoys doing STAR competencies, I hate them :P

I has a recent application where they were looking for 7 behaviours, 4 additional qualities they wanted STAR naswers for, and a personal statement, that was a bit of a marathon.
Original post by satsun
That’s why I’ve looked up to the next level, to try and be competitive. All the situations I gave were true, so it’s not going to come across as though I’m applying for a managers position.

Maybe you were just unlucky. Despite the rigid scoring system, it's still a human being doing the sifting so it's entirely possible for the same statement to be scored differently for different applications. However, trying to meet the behaviour at a different grade to what you're applying for will definitely not help you. Your statement are scored against the behaviour for that grade and that grade only. The sifter won't even have looked at the behaviour for the grade above/below. If you can meet the behaviour for a higher grade, then go and apply for roles in those grades as well, just don't use the same statement for roles at different grades.

As you said, you've applied now, so there's nothing you can do about this one, so just wait and see. Just keep applying to different opportunties that appeals to you and see where things take you.
I can usually do alright on those. 95% plus on verbal and non-verbal, and more like 65% ish on the SJTs, of course this only comes from the ones that give you the results.
Reply 18
Original post by OnceUponAStudent
Maybe you were just unlucky. Despite the rigid scoring system, it's still a human being doing the sifting so it's entirely possible for the same statement to be scored differently for different applications. However, trying to meet the behaviour at a different grade to what you're applying for will definitely not help you. Your statement are scored against the behaviour for that grade and that grade only. The sifter won't even have looked at the behaviour for the grade above/below. If you can meet the behaviour for a higher grade, then go and apply for roles in those grades as well, just don't use the same statement for roles at different grades.

As you said, you've applied now, so there's nothing you can do about this one, so just wait and see. Just keep applying to different opportunties that appeals to you and see where things take you.

I understand but what are scores 6’s and 7’s then? They both state they higher grades are used in ones application, and they’re the ones that get the job? Also, the behaviours are very similar, the next level up, only had a few extra points, so I don’t understand how people are saying I won’t succeed?
Original post by satsun
I understand but what are scores 6’s and 7’s then? They both state they higher grades are used in ones application, and they’re the ones that get the job? Also, the behaviours are very similar, the next level up, only had a few extra points, so I don’t understand how people are saying I won’t succeed?

I scored 677 in my most recent civil service interview. The only competencies I looked at were the ones relevant to the grade that I was applying for. I bullet pointed each competency and made sure my example hit each and every single point.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending