The Student Room Group

Tell something about british culture

Culture means festivals,dressing style,life style,family friends relationship...e.t.c.
How modest british boys and girls are now...are they still too gentle and modest...Or they are also just like other western countries...are you british???
Reply 1
Seeing music fest it does not feel like that...Are those people all from uk in those festivals...
Britain had an awesome punk scene.
I don't think British people have been "gentle and modest" for a long time.
Reply 4
Original post by MidgetFever

Why do u think so???
Are u from uk???
Intravenously taking tea
Reply 6
Its not about culture bro...
Original post by Cosmos.In
Why do u think so???
Are u from uk???

Have you seen the way some of the younger generation here dress? It's definitely not as conservative as it was years ago, and definitely not what I'd call modest.

and yes, I am
Uncomfortable and dodgy flirting.
Reply 9
Have you seen the way some of the younger generation here dress? It's definitely not as conservative as it was years ago, and definitely not what I'd call modest.

and yes, I am

May be they are outsiders...not brits...but in nightout some girls are :eek:
Reply 10
Original post by Andrew97
Uncomfortable and dodgy flirting.

Why???????????
May be they are outsiders...not brits...but in nightout some girls are :eek:

I mean, I've seen plenty of British people dress non-conservatively. (Not saying I wouldn't myself sometimes)
Do your parents don't tell u anything???

Is this supposed to be an insult? :laugh:
Apologies, but your English isn't very clear.
Reply 13
Is this supposed to be an insult? :laugh:
Apologies, but your English isn't very clear.

Sorry,i don't wanna insult you...
This stuff does not happen in my country...so I ask you???sorry
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 14
How do u dress???

Over the last few years, I've worked with a lot of Americans, and for me British people are still very modest in how they speak.

For example, it was so common to ask a question to one of my American coworkers, and to revive a big and proud answer. "are you good at cooking?" "Yeah! I'm great at cooking! I Love it, and I cook all the time... My wife can't get enough of my food" etc.

I swear in the UK, I could ask someone if they like cooking.. get the answer "Yeah, I'm not bad, I do it a bit" - and then find out 10 minutes later that they are a Chef.
In general british culture is fading into the mass globalised mix of cultures.

That's not unique to the UK though, its just part of our globalised world, that all cultures are loosing their uniqueness and blending slowly into one. If you took 10 countries including the Uk and compared their cultural expression between now and the 1950s, or 1900s, you would find a slow convergence as more and more of what they do, what they wear, how they act/dress, what media they consume, their cultural traditions etc. overlap.

These days the best place to find authentic british culture is in the countryside.. with a few exceptions, the nearer you go to a city center, the nearer you go to the new globalised blended culture. But out in the small towns and countryside, places that are much slower to change and adapt, you can still see some uniquely british things.

Is it a good thing? that all of our cultures are slowly blending into one single culture? It probably is, if you value peace.. as we will have less differences to judge and fight over. But I do feel we will miss some of the colour in the world. If you go to historical British, Belgium, Chinese, Indian sights.. they are so diverse in culture. But if you go to the heart of the most modern part in all 4 countries major cities.. they are becoming indistinguishable.
Original post by fallen_acorns
In general british culture is fading into the mass globalised mix of cultures.

That's not unique to the UK though, its just part of our globalised world, that all cultures are loosing their uniqueness and blending slowly into one. If you took 10 countries including the Uk and compared their cultural expression between now and the 1950s, or 1900s, you would find a slow convergence as more and more of what they do, what they wear, how they act/dress, what media they consume, their cultural traditions etc. overlap.

These days the best place to find authentic british culture is in the countryside.. with a few exceptions, the nearer you go to a city center, the nearer you go to the new globalised blended culture. But out in the small towns and countryside, places that are much slower to change and adapt, you can still see some uniquely british things.

Is it a good thing? that all of our cultures are slowly blending into one single culture? It probably is, if you value peace.. as we will have less differences to judge and fight over. But I do feel we will miss some of the colour in the world. If you go to historical British, Belgium, Chinese, Indian sights.. they are so diverse in culture. But if you go to the heart of the most modern part in all 4 countries major cities.. they are becoming indistinguishable.

Specifically, everyone is becoming American.

Quick Reply

Latest