The Student Room Group

Scared to stay home alone

I’m genially so scared when it comes to staying at home by myself. 1 year ago or 8-9 months ago I have had a few nightmares about people breaking into my house with me inside. I think this affect the way I’m feeling towards being home alone. No matter wether it’s day or night I am so so so scared of being home alone. I feel like I can hear all sorts of noises and it makes me think someone’s trying to enter my house or that someone broke in. Sometimes when I’m home alone and hear loud noises I get so scared I start shaking and my heart starts racing. Sometimes I even loose sleep, as I hear when my parents leave for work and I feel unsafe. If my parents leave and I wake up before they’re gone I wouldn’t be able to go back to sleep as any little noise scares me.I really need help as I honestly have no idea if this is actually a thing that happens to people. I’m not too sure on what I should do about this.
see a psychiatrist
Reply 2
Have you had some sort if traumatic incident that has caused this fear? And go to your GP.
How old are you?
have you been left home alone very many times before? i found it's something that disappears with time and age (and possibly being male)
Original post by HoldThisL
(and possibly being male)

LOL
Original post by black tea
LOL

joking but also totally true xdd
Reply 7
Original post by Pathway
Have you had some sort if traumatic incident that has caused this fear? And go to your GP.

I have had an incident a few years ago but I don’t think the fear is linked to that. I was home once and I didn’t know my uncle came home. And so when I woke up I heard a lot of noise from my kitchen. I called my mum and she had to come home, only to find out it was my uncle. But after that I was okay. I’ve only had this fear for like a year or a year and a few months. I think it’s because of the nightmares I have had with people breaking into my house. (Sorry it’s quite long)
Reply 8
Original post by black tea
How old are you?

I’m 17
Reply 9
Original post by HoldThisL
have you been left home alone very many times before? i found it's something that disappears with time and age (and possibly being male)

Yeah I’ve been left home alone many times as my parents work a lot. It’s weird because when I was younger I didn’t have this fear. I was always so happy to be home alone. And now that I’m getting older I’m having this fear it’s weird. And I’m not a male.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending