The Student Room Group

October Edexcel IAL 2019 Physics Unit 1

How was the paper?
I found it relatively easy compared to the June 2019 paper.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by 21stylish
How was the paper?

true it was easier but a bit tricky here and there
what was the concrete steel why makes it more stress to break ans for 4 marks
Reply 3
Original post by Zebin mehrin
what was the concrete steel why makes it more stress to break ans for 4 marks

i wrote when a tensile stress is applied to the steel it becomes thinner and cross sectional area decreases. When concrete is applied it is put over that steel. Hence when the steel is removed and the csa is lower, a larger stress can be applied bc stress is inversely proportional to area and as area decreases stress increases and the force which can be applied is larger
I felt it really hard
Reply 5
Original post by Princess.99999
I felt it really hard

what in particular did you find hard?
what in particular did you find hard?

steel concrete question, projectile, i just ran out of time
Reply 7
steel concrete question, projectile, i just ran out of time

did you do the june 2019 paper?
yes
Reply 9
yes

i felt that was so much more harder than this
was the projectile ans 146? so it is sufficient to use 4.5m height....
Reply 11
was the projectile ans 146? so it is sufficient to use 4.5m height....

i got 5.6m so it is insufficient. Isn't 146m too high?

Yep 5.6. You're suppose to draw a triangle 10m as adjacent and use tan 28 to find the opposite length which is the vertical between two floors I guess.
How was the paper?

The paper was really tricky here and there I didn't have enough time to finish the very last page and the P=FV question which was very easy. We have more writing than calculations compared to the old syllabus so it took alot of time to read and to comprehend the questions and structure the answers. My paper is 30% answers and 70% cuts. So I spent alot of time correcting it and rewriting the answer.
was the projectile ans 146? so it is

i wrote when a tensile stress is applied to the steel it becomes thinner and cross sectional area decreases. When concrete is applied it is put over that steel. Hence when the steel is removed and the csa is lower, a larger stress can be applied bc stress is inversely proportional to area and as area decreases stress increases and the force which can be applied is larger

You should also mention that the steel was long so length is directly proportional to extension so it can withstand large tensile forces without breaking.
Can someone help me with the upthrust and moment question, because the answer couldn't be conservation of moment because both weight and upthrust are anti-clockwise. Any knows the answer?
Reply 16
Original post by Rex 5276
Can someone help me with the upthrust and moment question, because the answer couldn't be conservation of moment because both weight and upthrust are anti-clockwise. Any knows the answer?

since it was floating U and w were equal to each other.. Moments about a point are equal to each other hence the boat moves back to its original position
and upthrust was anticlockwise and weight was clockwise i believe
and i left the 3 marker of moments bc i didnt know what to write
(edited 4 years ago)
since it was floating U and w were equal to each other.. Moments about a point are equal to each other hence the boat moves back to its original position

Thats what I wrote, that it was meant to tilt back to its original position but Upthrust was acting up and weight was acting downwards and the distance in the middle was "d" I guess so they both were anti-clockwise. Im not sure about the grade boundary for A but Im pretty sure we need to score more than 52 for 120 UMS and losing 1 or 2 marks from each question could drag us below 50.☹😞

yeah i wrote the same

oh u found the vertical height and i found the horizontal distance for proving because 92+10=102 as the horizontal distance so i proved for the horizontal one and got 146

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending