The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pharmacology
I’m afraid I don’t, I know they had an internal application system as well as UCAS that people were then picked from for interview.

They had to show volunteering/work at a minimum etc I think had to obtain a (high?) 2:1- can’t say for sure though as I didn’t apply through this route. There are around 5 total on the course who got in this way.

Hope that’s moderately helpful!

Ahh okay thanks. I go to Birmingham and have spoken to as many staff as I can find to ask, both in the medical school and biosciences, and barely seem to be able to find much information about this scheme at all!
Apart from those who applied directly from the Birmingham Biomedical Science BSc, everyone currently on GEC1 had already achieved their undergrad (and many applied with a master’s).

Thank you! I think I've written Brum off. It seems pointless to now accept people with predicted grades but score them so low!? It's like 30% of the points going to waste straight away... I think if I don't get in this time round, it'll be a good shout for next year.
Yeah tbh, I don’t know anyone on the course who hadn’t already achieved a first before applying - so it feels like a risky choice if you’re either applying with a predicted grade or an achieved 2:1
(edited 4 years ago)
Yeah tbh, I don’t know anyone on the course who hadn’t already achieved a first beforeapplying - so it feels like a risky choice if you’re either applying with a predicted grade or an achieved 2:1

I mean, until this year you couldn't apply with a predicted grade - they technically allow it now, but in reality not really...
I get the sense that it’s meant to seem a bit less prohibitive but yeah I don’t believe the admissions has changed all that much apart from using UCAT.
Does anybody know what the process is for the full-time work part? Do they send a separate form like Warwick or is a reference enough? I can't seem to find any information on their website.

Also just to make sure is a UCAT which is in the 8th decile scored 3.12? I got 2670 which is in the 8th decile and 78th percentile.. For the longest time I thought they scored on percentile group but I just read it again and its decile.
Original post by Pseudovyn
Does anybody know what the process is for the full-time work part? Do they send a separate form like Warwick or is a reference enough? I can't seem to find any information on their website.

Also just to make sure is a UCAT which is in the 8th decile scored 3.12? I got 2670 which is in the 8th decile and 78th percentile.. For the longest time I thought they scored on percentile group but I just read it again and its decile.

No idea, although I would imagine they will need to send a form after the deadline like Warwick, since some students could use referees other than those relevant for their full-time work experience(e.g academic references).

They use their own deciles, which are dependant on who applies. It should be roughly similar though.
Hello.Does anyone know if we need to put down our module grades for our degree?
Original post by davidthomasjnr
No idea, although I would imagine they will need to send a form after the deadline like Warwick, since some students could use referees other than those relevant for their full-time work experience(e.g academic references).

Yes, particularly with that being taken into account for waiving the 5 years lapsed requirement. Does anybody know if they do send out forms for this, please? There isn't much space to enter this otherwise.
(edited 4 years ago)
Guys does anybody know whether Birmingham disqualifies/doesn't consider applicants with less than the A levels they have put up? I mean they have said etc etc is this many points, but could you apply with none of those, get 0 points for a levels and pick up points elsewhere? My A levels are BBDDd but I have tons of clinical experience and jobs for 3+ years, hoping that could help?
Original post by medhopeeful
Guys does anybody know whether Birmingham disqualifies/doesn't consider applicants with less than the A levels they have put up? I mean they have said etc etc is this many points, but could you apply with none of those, get 0 points for a levels and pick up points elsewhere? My A levels are BBDDd but I have tons of clinical experience and jobs for 3+ years, hoping that could help?

As it's a points system, I'm sure you could apply and make up points lost by your A level results unless they have a minimum A level requirement (I'm not familiar with birmingham). Whether you would make up sufficient points to be invited to interview is a different question.
Original post by ben444
As it's a points system, I'm sure you could apply and make up points lost by your A level results unless they have a minimum A level requirement (I'm not familiar with birmingham). Whether you would make up sufficient points to be invited to interview is a different question.

Thanks for responding! I'm unsure, you're right with what you said.
Please can someone just confirm for me - I don't need to do anything with my UCAT score, it gets sent off automatically doesn't it?
:s-smilie: just getting paranoid now haha
Original post by RedNebula
Please can someone just confirm for me - I don't need to do anything with my UCAT score, it gets sent off automatically doesn't it?
:s-smilie: just getting paranoid now haha

Correct. You just need to send off your UCAS
Original post by ben444
Correct. You just need to send off your UCAS

Thank you!! I'm at that panicky stage haha when there's nothing more we can do now
(edited 4 years ago)
also, does anyone know if they contact your employers etc. for references? or is it just the one that you put down as your reference? X
also, does anyone know if they contact your employers etc. for references? or is it just the one that you put down as your reference? X

Nope. To my knowledge they can only contact the referee you put down if they aren't satisfied with the contents of the reference (I.e. if your referee has stated you won't be a good suit for medicine lol)
Thank you!! I'm at that panicky stage haha when there's nothing more we can do now

Haha try and forget about it :smile:
Original post by ben444
Haha try and forget about it :smile:

thank you! X
Reply 78
Have people had confirmation emails from Birmingham yet? I got one for all my 3 other choices.
Hi I haven’t received one either, don’t worry :smile: