The Student Room Group

What to do during a med gap year

I’ll be applying pharmacy this year and if I see that I get an AAA I’ll be taking a gap year and reapplying for medicine.
I took my ucat this year, have had work experience but my school didn’t want to predict anyone an AAA so even people who were straight A* students for predicted a BBC no matter how much time and effort we spent revising.
Teachers have no control over this apparently they’re trying out this new ‘system.’

What do I do during a gap year for med?
I’ve currently done some more work experience and now I’m gathering emails from friends who’ll apply this year so that I can gain more. (Dentistry intrigued me so I’m going to do some experience for that and see if medicine or dentistry is best suited for me)

I’m just a bit confused. Should I book my UCAT around august so during results day and then cancel after my results? If I get lower than an AAA I won’t apply and will stick with pharmacy.

Any advice for a gap year would be helpful. Gap years are a bit frowned upon in my area because it’s new to some parents and they’re not keen on it so a lot of kids just go into something else. My mum wasn’t too keen but she’s just worried If I get rejected after my gap year I would’ve wasted a year.
Original post by Anonymous
I’ll be applying pharmacy this year and if I see that I get an AAA I’ll be taking a gap year and reapplying for medicine.
I took my ucat this year, have had work experience but my school didn’t want to predict anyone an AAA so even people who were straight A* students for predicted a BBC no matter how much time and effort we spent revising.
Teachers have no control over this apparently they’re trying out this new ‘system.’

I’ve currently done some more work experience and now I’m gathering emails from friends who’ll apply this year so that I can gain more. (Dentistry intrigued me so I’m going to do some experience for that and see if medicine or dentistry is best suited for me)

I’m just a bit confused. Should I book my UCAT around august so during results day and then cancel after my results? If I get lower than an AAA I won’t apply and will stick with pharmacy.

Any advice for a gap year would be helpful. Gap years are a bit frowned upon in my area because it’s new to some parents and they’re not keen on it so a lot of kids just go into something else. My mum wasn’t too keen but she’s just worried If I get rejected after my gap year I would’ve wasted a year.

Hi,
I don’t think a gap year is a waste even if you don’t get in next year - as long as you’re productive. In the grand scheme of life one year is pretty minor. I would suggest getting a job as a healthcare assistant (and keep a reflective diary) as well as maybe volunteering at a care home or similar. Also if you drive you could consider becoming a community first responder which would be amazing for a medical CV as you go out to ambulance calls and triage patients. They also train you so you don’t need medical experience beforehand (I think you have to be 18 though first). Also regarding your ucat you have up until the end of September/ beginning of October of the year of entry to do it so you could spend your time off revising to get a high score you don’t have to do it straight away (unless you’re hoping for something through clearing which is SUPER unlikely). Hope this helped! Let me know if you have any other questions :smile:
Reply 2

Get hands on medical experience (preferably paid) during your gap year to improve your knowledge, broaden your ideas and improve your CV. You should also be practicing to get above average score for the UCAT, you can take it whenever you feel like you're ready as long as its before the deadline.
Reply 3
Original post by Potat0lover
Hi,
I don’t think a gap year is a waste even if you don’t get in next year - as long as you’re productive. In the grand scheme of life one year is pretty minor. I would suggest getting a job as a healthcare assistant (and keep a reflective diary) as well as maybe volunteering at a care home or similar. Also if you drive you could consider becoming a community first responder which would be amazing for a medical CV as you go out to ambulance calls and triage patients. They also train you so you don’t need medical experience beforehand (I think you have to be 18 though first). Also regarding your ucat you have up until the end of September/ beginning of October of the year of entry to do it so you could spend your time off revising to get a high score you don’t have to do it straight away (unless you’re hoping for something through clearing which is SUPER unlikely). Hope this helped! Let me know if you have any other questions :smile:

Thank you so much! I was planning on volunteering weekly at a local care home. I’m trying to get my driver’s license after my A-levels so I don’t think I’ll have enough experience for a community first responder but I’ll look into it. This helped a lot :smile: ! Thank you, I was planning to make this year as productive. Try and get a job, become healthier by being able to make type for gym and volunteering/ work experience. I appreciate all the help! I sat the UCAT this year but didn’t do too well. 4th percentile but I started revision VERY VERY late which I regret but now I know what not to do for next year. Thanks a bunch!
Reply 4
Original post by kkboyk
Get hands on medical experience (preferably paid) during your gap year to improve your knowledge, broaden your ideas and improve your CV. You should also be practicing to get above average score for the UCAT, you can take it whenever you feel like you're ready as long as its before the deadline.

Do you know any examples of paid medical experience? I’ll start revision for ucat kinda early so I can get it out of the way. I’ve heard that those who tend to do their ucat during august time tend to do better than those in October so I’ll have a long time to prepare for it.
Do you know any examples of paid medical experience? I’ll start revision for ucat kinda early so I can get it out of the way. I’ve heard that those who tend to do their ucat during august time tend to do better than those in October so I’ll have a long time to prepare for it.

Paid medical experiences are impossible to get unless you get a job at a hospital. I am taking a gap year and I planning to work at the hospital that offered me work experience earlier in the year. However, due to my age and lack of experience/knowledge the only paid positions I was offered was admin or HCA (Health care assistant positions) but because I have worked with the team many times I can do ward rounds with them and go into theatres to observe

hope this helps
Reply 6
Original post by DylanChettiar
Paid medical experiences are impossible to get unless you get a job at a hospital. I am taking a gap year and I planning to work at the hospital that offered me work experience earlier in the year. However, due to my age and lack of experience/knowledge the only paid positions I was offered was admin or HCA (Health care assistant positions) but because I have worked with the team many times I can do ward rounds with them and go into theatres to observe

hope this helps

Thank you! I’ll look into everything once I’m done with my alevels. I just want to make sure I know how to spend my year wisely.
Did you apply for med the first time round or did you decide that after you want to do med after your alevels?
Thank you! I’ll look into everything once I’m done with my alevels. I just want to make sure I know how to spend my year wisely.
Did you apply for med the first time round or did you decide that after you want to do med after your alevels?

I am doing A2 now but my predicted grades are A*A*B so my chances of getting in a london med school are super low. still applied this year though. look for jobs now instead of summer as it takes around 4 to 5 months to set stuff up with DBS checks and interview as the process is long and tedious
Reply 8
I am doing A2 now but my predicted grades are A*A*B so my chances of getting in a london med school are super low. still applied this year though. look for jobs now instead of summer as it takes around 4 to 5 months to set stuff up with DBS checks and interview as the process is long and tedious

I’m not 18 until late august so I doubt I can even apply yet :/
Good luck! How did you revise for your ucat? I didn’t do too great this year and want to know what others did so I can improve.
Also what exam boards are you doing?
I’m not 18 until late august so I doubt I can even apply yet :/
Good luck! How did you revise for your ucat? I didn’t do too great this year and want to know what others did so I can improve.
Also what exam boards are you doing?

edexcel maths and chem ocr bio A, i got 40th percentile in ucat which was bad considering my grades but i just did it for practice for next year
edexcel maths and chem ocr bio A, i got 40th percentile in ucat which was bad considering my grades but i just did it for practice for next year

Sorry for bombarding you with questions.
I got 41% and honestly am very disappointed with it.
I’m doing edexcel maths too! But AQA Chem and bio. Would you like to stay in contact if we both do decide to take a gap year? Maybe help each other out with the application process. If not, I totally understand.
Sorry for bombarding you with questions.
I got 41% and honestly am very disappointed with it.
I’m doing edexcel maths too! But AQA Chem and bio. Would you like to stay in contact if we both do decide to take a gap year? Maybe help each other out with the application process. If not, I totally understand.

im done dm me on TSR for my snap and we can talk more.
BTW a useful thread is https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/life/travel/gap-year/medicine-gap-years
Hi I was wondering if anyone can help me. I am currently taking a gap yr and I am going to apply for medicine this year, however I am having some difficulty in deciding what to write about my gap yr in my personal statement. I know that it can be 2-3 lines but does anyone have any ideas on what to include so far, I am going to write I am going to do more work experience in a care home and GP. Is there anything else I can include?
Original post by need help plz
Hi I was wondering if anyone can help me. I am currently taking a gap yr and I am going to apply for medicine this year, however I am having some difficulty in deciding what to write about my gap yr in my personal statement. I know that it can be 2-3 lines but does anyone have any ideas on what to include so far, I am going to write I am going to do more work experience in a care home and GP. Is there anything else I can include?

Are you planning on reusing your ps from last year?
I’m not too sure but maybe you can state that you took a gap year to enhance your knowledge on medicine or to get more experience and then include what you did?
I have changed some bits from my previous ps. I am going to talk about more work experience but I wanted to add something else so it doesn't sound too generic.
Original post by need help plz

True. I’m pretty sure the admissions team would know you’re taking a gap year so it might be useless to even mention it? You can state that you’ve taken a gap year and just state what you’ve done in that year straight away without adding the cliches.
If I get into pharmacy at King’s or UCL I might not take a gap year and just do pharmacy.
I’m still very confused about everything :/ and very indecisive. I have to make another personal statement for pharmacy and I’m dreading it! My first draft is done so if any pharmacy students are reading this could anyone share some tips on PS writing. I keep seeing generic stuff like “I love alevel chem and this made me realise my love for pharmacy”
Should I keep mentioning my alevels like most people did in their PS?
True. I’m pretty sure the admissions team would know you’re taking a gap year so it might be useless to even mention it? You can state that you’ve taken a gap year and just state what you’ve done in that year straight away without adding the cliches.

okay thanks for your advice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending