The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Hi,
I'm finalizing my applications for the UK this year, Leeds is one of my options. I'm an international student, I got A* in bio, chem, physics, maths, ICT and A in English and business studies in iGCSE. I finished my A levels and I achieved A* in chemistry, bio and an A in physics, I got 3As in AS level but I am taking the BMAT exam during the October session. Should I expect an offer from Leeds?
Reply 61
Original post by r22002020
Hi, I'm applying to Leeds through this as I am eligible. I wanted if anyone has experience with this? How much detail are you meant to put, I meet 2 of the entry requirements?
Also with this do they also rank your GCSE's and BMAT and give you an interview invite after looking at all the applicants. I'm confused about how it affects my application.

Guys I need immediate advice.
My GCSE's weren't the best, so I'm needing to look for unis that aren't gcse heavy. Deadline is in 4 days, if you have anything in mind let me know. Thanks
Original post by ibyss
Guys I need immediate advice.
My GCSE's weren't the best, so I'm needing to look for unis that aren't gcse heavy. Deadline is in 4 days, if you have anything in mind let me know. Thanks

@TCL is probably the best person
They score best 9 GCSEs ( I think) out of 27 I think it has to include sciences eng Lang and also maths
A level predictions out of 8 maximum for AAA
Then a maximum of 5
Cut off for interview last year was 37
Not sure if you are Uk applicant if so post all you stats on megathread which medical school and guidance may be given
If you have a good ucat you need to go for ucat heavy unis such as Bristol , Newcastle or if you have got all A* predictions Exeter
Reply 63
Original post by Langsett
@TCL is probably the best person
They score best 9 GCSEs ( I think) out of 27 I think it has to include sciences eng Lang and also maths
A level predictions out of 8 maximum for AAA
Then a maximum of 5
Cut off for interview last year was 37
Not sure if you are Uk applicant if so post all you stats on megathread which medical school and guidance may be given
If you have a good ucat you need to go for ucat heavy unis such as Bristol , Newcastle or if you have got all A* predictions Exeter

My ucat was not too good. About 62 percentile I think.
My gcses weren't too good.
However, I found that I'm dyslexic (late diagnosis, after my gcses) and I've been told that my PS is strong. Hoping to apply for A2L
Any unis that fit this criteria?
I am a part of Reach for Excellence at the University of Leeds, medicine strand. Did the summer school etc. Visited countless times.
I am an A2L applicant and have 33 points before BMAT. Does that mean I need less points to secure an interview?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 65
I don't know about A2L. Suggest you go through last years thread.
Original post by ibyss
However, I found that I'm dyslexic (late diagnosis, after my gcses) and I've been told that my PS is strong. Hoping to apply for A2L
I am a part of Reach for Excellence at the University of Leeds, medicine strand. Did the summer school etc. Visited countless times.

Score yourself I am access to Leeds also but it depends on scores of others where cutoff will be
Original post by TCL
I don't know about A2L. Suggest you go through last years thread.

Original post by Abzy2002
I am an A2L applicant and have 33 points before BMAT. Does that mean I need less points to secure an interview?

I think it was lower than 37 last year however it will depend on cohort of A2l I suppose I am A2L as well
Original post by ibyss

Do you fit any contextual data for other unis - where have you looked at , what course style do like
Where are you thinking ? What’s your predicted a levels
You need to post it in mega thread
You may also need to fill in a mitigating circumstances for.
Try looking at Aston ,Leicester score yourself cut off was 54.5 ,last year Liverpool May be a disadvantage on your GCSEs , if you are in band 1hull York ,edge hill , ARU , Plymouth , ARU Sunderland , Lincoln as a starting point
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 69
Hey, I need a little help. Just wanna know what are my chances of getting into Leeds for medicine with 5A*s and 2As in GCSE. Also 2A*s, 1A achieved in A levels.
Reply 70
Original post by Saboor.M
Hey, I need a little help. Just wanna know what are my chances of getting into Leeds for medicine with 5A*s and 2As in GCSE. Also 2A*s, 1A achieved in A levels.

Sorry, but probably no point in applying. Not sure what they do if you don't have 9 GCSEs but even if they scale your results it is too risky. You could e-mail or call with your stats and ask what your academic score would be. Last year cut-off was 37/40 (including 5 for BMAT).
Reply 71
Original post by TCL
Sorry, but probably no point in applying. Not sure what they do if you don't have 9 GCSEs but even if they scale your results it is too risky. You could e-mail or call with your stats and ask what your academic score would be. Last year cut-off was 37/40 (including 5 for BMAT).

I e-mailed the university. They said that they will use either GCSE or AS level to award 24 points whichever is higher, ie 3As achieved at AS level receives 24 points, then followed by 8 points for having 3As predicted at A levels (a fourth subject wouldn't provide an advantage, it's not scored) and then top 20% of BMAT scorers get 5 points and bottom 20% get 1 point.
The percentage weightings are as follows for the initial sift of applications:

GCSE or AS - 67.5%

A2 - 20%

BMAT 12.5%
looking ahead to 2021 do you think have 26 points out of 27 for gcses is gonna be an issue
top 9 would be 27 but unfortunately i got a 7 in my maths :/
Reply 73
Original post by Saboor.M
I e-mailed the university. They said that they will use either GCSE or AS level to award 24 points whichever is higher, ie 3As achieved at AS level receives 24 points, then followed by 8 points for having 3As predicted at A levels (a fourth subject wouldn't provide an advantage, it's not scored) and then top 20% of BMAT scorers get 5 points and bottom 20% get 1 point.
The percentage weightings are as follows for the initial sift of applications:

GCSE or AS - 67.5%

A2 - 20%

BMAT 12.5%

It is actually out of 27 for GCSEs/AS - very few people have 3 AS levels now.
Reply 74
Original post by TCL
It is actually out of 27 for GCSEs/AS - very few people have 3 AS levels now.

26/27 will be fine, but puts a little more pressure on BMAT. They will always have to take people with 39/40 as they interview 1,000 people and only 20% applicants (around 500 people) can get full marks for BMAT so it is not mathematically possible for 1,000 people to score 40/40.

Of course nobody knows whether Leeds will keep the same system next year. I would be surprised if universities do not start differentiating between 8 and 9 at some point.
Original post by TCL
26/27 will be fine, but puts a little more pressure on BMAT. They will always have to take people with 39/40 as they interview 1,000 people and only 20% applicants (around 500 people) can get full marks for BMAT so it is not mathematically possible for 1,000 people to score 40/40.

Of course nobody knows whether Leeds will keep the same system next year. I would be surprised if universities do not start differentiating between 8 and 9 at some point.

Cut off of 38 or 39 or 40/ 40 is so high. It is like Oxbridge application.
Reply 76
Original post by Yashchou
Cut off of 38 or 39 or 40/ 40 is so high. It is like Oxbridge application.

Yes, that is true. It was 37 last year, expecting 37 or 38 this year. Don't think it will ever be 39.

The thing which makes it less difficult than Oxford is that the BMAT scores required for interview are much lower. It is more like Cardiff.
Original post by TCL
Yes, that is true. It was 37 last year, expecting 37 or 38 this year. Don't think it will ever be 39.

The thing which makes it less difficult than Oxford is that the BMAT scores required for interview are much lower. It is more like Cardiff.

Thanks. Could u explain what u mean that it is more like Cardiff
Reply 78
Original post by Yashchou
Thanks. Could u explain what u mean that it is more like Cardiff

Cardiff needed 7 A*/9s and 2 A/8/7 last year. Previous year 8 A*s, 1 A, before that 9 A*s. I think it will be 9 A*/9/8s this year.
Original post by TCL
Cardiff needed 7 A*/9s and 2 A/8/7 last year. Previous year 8 A*s, 1 A, before that 9 A*s. I think it will be 9 A*/9/8s this year.

Thanks. Does Cardiff score best 9 GCSEs or they have to score on certain subjects like English language compulsorily?

Latest

Trending

Trending