The Student Room Group

Sheffield A100 2020 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Not too happy with mu UCAT of 635 and sjt band 3. After hearing the average on this thread I feel like an interview is unlikely. Do I still have a chance?
Original post by ChooseWisely
Not too happy with mu UCAT of 635 and sjt band 3. After hearing the average on this thread I feel like an interview is unlikely. Do I still have a chance?

hey don't stress about what the average is right now! TSR makes up a very small percentage of people who actually take the ukcat (there were like 24000 last year) so just wait until the interim deciles come out and see where you are. last year 635 was above average (i think average was 621), and loads of people I know got into uni with lower than that score :smile:
Reply 42
They do rank it I think, but it's not the only factor they consider. It could hold your application back a bit, but I'm not sure the cut of was that high (Newcastle uses UKCAT the most and that was their cut off so there was no way Sheffield was that high) the minimum threshold that they let in for interview was around 617 I think, and everyone who got over 657 was invited to interview, so maybe those with 617 and an otherwise very strong application you would be invited?
To be honest with you though, I wouldn't risk it unless Sheffield was your absolute dream university, as it is better to use your 4 applications at places which you definitely meet the criteria, otherwise its a waste of an application, and you want to maximize your chances of getting an offer by getting as many interviews as possible.
If it is your dream uni, then I say its worth a shot, cause you don't want to end up studying somewhere you don't like for 5+ years. Hope this has helped and good luck!! :smile:
Original post by KatieQ
They do rank it I think, but it's not the only factor they consider. It could hold your application back a bit, but I'm not sure the cut of was that high (Newcastle uses UKCAT the most and that was their cut off so there was no way Sheffield was that high) the minimum threshold that they let in for interview was around 617 I think, and everyone who got over 657 was invited to interview, so maybe those with 617 and an otherwise very strong application you would be invited?
To be honest with you though, I wouldn't risk it unless Sheffield was your absolute dream university, as it is better to use your 4 applications at places which you definitely meet the criteria, otherwise its a waste of an application, and you want to maximize your chances of getting an offer by getting as many interviews as possible.
If it is your dream uni, then I say its worth a shot, cause you don't want to end up studying somewhere you don't like for 5+ years. Hope this has helped and good luck!! :smile:

This is incorrect, unfortunately. After checking for whether students met minimum requirements, they are then ranked by UCAT score. Then those with both meeting "the academic entry requirements and have the highest UCAT scores are invited to interview".

So the only thing they look at for selection to interview is the minimum academic requirements and whether you are on or above the cutoff zone to be selected for interview after the initial screening. The initial screening is there to just make sure minimum requirements for consideration is met (eg average UCAT and academics) before ranking the UCAT---->creating a cutoff for selection for interviews.

The Sheffield medical school has published its previous cutoffs after ranking on their website.

In 2016/17- the cutoff was 2000/2700 for interview selection which is around 666.6.
In 2017/18- the cutoff was 2690/3600 for interview selection which is around 672.5.
In 2018/19- the cutoff was 2630/3600 for interview selection which is around 657.5.

Sheffield generally stays around 70-73rd centile for selection to interview but this can vary.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 44
Original post by ChooseWisely

Don't think theyd go for sjt band 3 tbh, but I know people who got pretty much the same as you and got 3 offers or more so don't lose hope, just also wouldnt say Sheffield is your best bet. Best of luck though x

Original post by MezmorisedPotato
This is incorrect, unfortunately. After checking for whether students met minimum requirements, they are then ranked by UCAT score. Then those with both meeting "the academic entry requirements and have the highest UCAT scores are invited to interview".

So the only thing they look at for selection to interview is the minimum academic requirements and whether you are on or above the cutoff zone to be selected for interview after the initial screening. The initial screening is there to just make sure minimum requirements for consideration is met (eg average UCAT and academics) before ranking the UCAT---->creating a cutoff for selection for interviews.

The Sheffield medical school has published its previous cutoffs after ranking on their website.

In 2016/17- the cutoff was 2000/2700 for interview selection which is around 666.6.
In 2017/18- the cutoff was 2690/3600 for interview selection which is around 672.5.
In 2018/19- the cutoff was 2630/3600 for interview selection which is around 657.5.

Sheffield generally stays around 70-73rd centile for selection to interview but this can vary.

Okay bro, don't @ me, soz for the incorrect info I did my best :wink:
Reply 45
Original post by SSGT
can anyone give me their honest opinion on medicine at Sheffield? what they like and dislike personally? (objective or subjective, just some general insight)

Quite a bit of gang activity in the area, weather wasn't great when I visited (then again I'm going to Newcastle so don't know why I'm talking haha). The interview was the hardest, really quite awkward, everyone I chatted to about it said they were quite uncomfortable in it, cause they sent us a list of questions beforehand last year, and you had to memorize answers and fill 7 mins of time (we weren't told how long each MMI station was) so we were just sat there silently at the end of the interview awkwardly in a tiny room with the interviewer and you weren't allowed to talk to them or ask them any questions (inc, like how is your day going).
Used to be an industrial area, mining and steel I think mostly, so its got an interesting history, its got the Peak District on its doorstep which it beautiful if you like walks/camping that kind of thing. Its a relatively small city with quite a big city feel. There are loads of large hospitals nearby which the uni works with so can get lots of different experiences with all sorts of cases which is great.
Honestly, each uni has its own pros and cons, these were my takes, wasnt quite my cup of tea, but it is a great uni, which generally produces fab doctors, but at the end of the day it's up to you if you want to live there for 5+ years, its also up to the individual what kind of doctor they are going to be really.
Does anybody know how Sheffield ranks candidates after MMI who share the same ‘threshold’ score for successfully getting a place. I know Birmingham uses their UCAT score to select candidates who share same MMI interview score at the cut off point but haven’t seen anything which identifies how Sheffield do this.
Original post by The University of Sheffield
Hi all. I am the Director of Undergraduate Medical Admissions at Sheffield.

Having found this thread I will keep an eye on it from time to time, so that I can address any issues and correct any misunderstandings I cannot comment on individual applications here.

Having looked through the thread so far I've found a few things worth noting.

i am delighted you found the open days helpful.

If you are taking or have taken an EPQ we will require AAA at A level or AAB (with an A in Chemistry or Biology) and an A or A* EPQ. If we make you an offer of AAB at A-Level plus A at EPQ and you then attained AAA at A Level and a B (or less) at EPQ, that would be fine. You would be required to meet either the requirements for those who have not taken an EPQ (which are AAA at A Level) OR the requirements for those who have taken an EPQ (AAB + A/A*). Worry not!

It is correct that we do not consider or read personal statements at Sheffield Medical School.

I hope that helps! Remember the admissions team in the medical school is always happy to hear from you!

Good luck!

Julian
Director of Undergraduate Medical Admissions (Sheffield)

Hi, would a ucat of 2610 be enough for 2020 entry? What was the cut off last year? Thanks
Reply 48
Original post by mamamedic2020
Hi, would a ucat of 2610 be enough for 2020 entry? What was the cut off last year? Thanks

Julian is unfortunately not on TSR any more. Nobody can tell you what this year’s cut off will be yet as it depends upon the cohort of applicants, but it states on their website that previous cut offs have been between the 70th and 73rd centile. You can find all the details on their website and then check your own score against the final deciles when they come out, though of course the cut off may fall at a different point this year
Original post by The University of Sheffield
Hello all

Well, I do not know about "famous"! But I am aware that I am 'the darling Julian' on Mumsnet.

I do not know what "NOWPAS" stands for - can you elaborate?

Regarding resits: we will accept a first resit in any subject and at any level, without requiring the submission of a disrupted studies application. Any and all GCSE resits must be taken together, and you need only resit those GCSEs that did not reach our requirements, in order to reach our requirement. Any and all A-Level resits must be taken together, and you need only resit those A levels that did not reach our requirements, in order to reach our requirement. There is information on our admissions webpages: https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/medicine/prospective_ug/applying/entryrequire

We require you to demonstrate that you can reach our minimum requirements but we do NOT require you to demonstrate that you can exceed it. So, if you attained a B in Biology at A Level and choose to resit it, we require an A, not an A*, on resit.

I hope that helps.

Best wishes

Julian
Director of Undergraduate Medical Admissions

Hi I'm wanting to study medicine at sheffield and I have realised you class psychology as a science, I'm currently studying biology, psychology and English literature, I was wondering will I be suitable for the medicine course and would I stand a chance against other candidates?
Original post by tasnimali2492
Hi I'm wanting to study medicine at sheffield and I have realised you class psychology as a science, I'm currently studying biology, psychology and English literature, I was wondering will I be suitable for the medicine course and would I stand a chance against other candidates?

Hi, I think you need A level chemistry for medicine but have a look at their entrance criteria. Hope that helps 😊
Reply 51
Original post by tasnimali2492

Sheffield's A level requirements are AAA at A level, including Chemistry or Biology, and another science (Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Physics, Psychology), taken in one sitting. Further Maths, Critical Thinking are General Studies not accepted.
This is clearly detailed on their website
https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/medicine/prospective_ug/applying/entryrequire

If you meet minimum requirements and make the UCAT cut off, you have as much chance as anyone else
Heyyy, I am applying for A100 medicine at Sheffield this year (also applying A101 Warwick, A100 Leicester and A106 Manchester) 😊

My stats:

Final year Physician Associate student at the university of Birmingham

BSc degree - 1st class biomedical science

A Levels - A* biology A chemistry B physics

GCSE - 3A* 4A 1B 1C

UCAT - 2820 (average 705)

Hoping for some interviews and offers 😭🙏🏼
Original post by mamamedic2020

Check the website, last year the cut off was 2630 for interview
Does anyone know if it is true that Sheffield are handing out more interviews this year? or am I imagining things?
Also fellow sheff applicant, have quite a terrible ucat, 662.5 so not really expecting to get in this year!

Where else has everyone applied?
Original post by denaturedenzyme
Does anyone know if it is true that Sheffield are handing out more interviews this year? or am I imagining things?
Also fellow sheff applicant, have quite a terrible ucat, 662.5 so not really expecting to get in this year!

Where else has everyone applied?

Hmm, not too sure about that. In fact, the number of A100 places has decreased for this year (291 to 273) as they’ve started the A101 grad course. So the number of interviews would not increase.
Original post by Dr. Doc Thor
Hmm, not too sure about that. In fact, the number of A100 places has decreased for this year (291 to 273) as they’ve started the A101 grad course. So the number of interviews would not increase.

Have they decreased? on the website it said 'For 2020 entry to the A100 five year programme we have a total of 273 places for HOME/EU students and 18 for International Students. For 2019 entry we received 1966 applications for 291 A100 places and 109 applications for 15 A101 places.' I'm assuming the 291 A100 places included home/eu and international students? And for 2020 entry the total number of (home/eu + international) is 291 as well?
Original post by pseudo123
Have they decreased? on the website it said 'For 2020 entry to the A100 five year programme we have a total of 273 places for HOME/EU students and 18 for International Students. For 2019 entry we received 1966 applications for 291 A100 places and 109 applications for 15 A101 places.' I'm assuming the 291 A100 places included home/eu and international students? And for 2020 entry the total number of (home/eu + international) is 291 as well?

I can't think of why addition of A101 would cause them to decrease to be honest, isn't it a completely separate course?
Is the admissions team still on TSR, perhaps they can help @theuniversityofsheffield (not sure if that's the user)
Original post by pseudo123

Yeh sorry I think I’m wrong. Misread/misheard the information 😅
Original post by denaturedenzyme
I can't think of why addition of A101 would cause them to decrease to be honest, isn't it a completely separate course?
Is the admissions team still on TSR, perhaps they can help @theuniversityofsheffield (not sure if that's the user)

I'm not sure about A101 to be honest I was just looking at the numbers from the A100 and figured out that they didn't decrease! But honestly yeah I don't see reason as to why they would decrease the number of places?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending