The Student Room Group

Getting healthy

I'm borderline obese where I weigh 112 kg and I'm 6ft 3. I want to start getting healthy and lose some weight but dont know where to start. Any advice welcome please, I'm not too comfortable going to the gym but I want to exercise at home to help lose weight.
If it’s not too sensitive, what makes you uncomfortable about going to the gym?
Reply 2
Original post by JakeTSR
If it’s not too sensitive, what makes you uncomfortable about going to the gym?

I dont know what il be doing there as I have never been and I know people say that people dont care about you at the gym as they mind there own business but I dont feel confident enough to go to the gym by myself
Original post by Anonymous
I dont know what il be doing there as I have never been and I know people say that people dont care about you at the gym as they mind there own business but I dont feel confident enough to go to the gym by myself

If I saw someone as "wide" as you at the gym you'd have my respect. At least you're trying to do change something. My advice would be to look up what an average (I'm gonna assume you're an adult here) adult's daily calorie intake is. Make sure you don't exceed that amount. Cut down on the carbs and other junk in your diet and focus on eating fresh fruit and veg with a little protein. Fruit and veg are really low in calories(so you don't exceed your calorie limit), are good for you and are also really filling for the amount of calories they're worth. A snickers bar has roughly the same number of calories as 1kg of apples. Start taking up running(do this in the morning before eating breakfast). Once you feel like you've shaved off enough fat you could start working on those muscles at the gym.

Pls don't starve yourself.
Reply 4
Original post by THALCEDONY
If I saw someone as "wide" as you at the gym you'd have my respect. At least you're trying to do change something. My advice would be to look up what an average (I'm gonna assume you're an adult here) adult's daily calorie intake is. Make sure you don't exceed that amount. Cut down on the carbs and other junk in your diet and focus on eating fresh fruit and veg with a little protein. Fruit and veg are really low in calories(so you don't exceed your calorie limit), are good for you and are also really filling for the amount of calories they're worth. A snickers bar has roughly the same number of calories as 1kg of apples. Start taking up running(do this in the morning before eating breakfast). Once you feel like you've shaved off enough fat you could start working on those muscles at the gym.
Pls don't starve yourself.

Are there any specific fruit and veg you recomend for weight loss or does it not matter as long as in eating them
Are there any specific fruit and veg you recomend for weight loss or does it not matter as long as in eating them

Eat plenty and a variety of fruit a veg. Drinking water can also aid weight loss because sometimes wr think we are hungry when we are actually just thirsty. So the next time you feel
like you want to snack, drink a glass of water and if yiure still hungry after say 10 or so mins have a snack. Dried fruit and nuts are good (I snack on these instead of crisps).

Then with overall weight loss , youll need a Calorie deficit (burn more than you consume)

Low carb, high protein.
Nuts are good but careful with the serving size because they have lots of calories.
Loads of veg. Try to stick to only really 2 portions of fruit a day though. And a ton of water
Reply 7
Try to set youself a daily routine, where you eat at set times, (doesn't have to be exact but near enough the same times daily). Take it easy with exercise at first, be gentle with your body. Everyother day do some light exercises, start off with small amount and increase it as it gets more comfortable, try things like bicep curls using just your arms ( no weights), side to side steps, take a 15 minute walk, jog/run for a small time in your home (on the spot) set a timer on your phone for say 20 seconds and try to run for that time or even walk on the spot increase the times as it gets easier.

As for your overall diet as others have said plenty of fruits and vegetables, the key is to try to make each meal contain a source of protein(meat/fish or meat susbstitute), some fibre ( things like oatmeal/porridge wholemeal bread products. skins on potatoes, easily found in other vegetables and fruits). Unless you can go complete cold turkey on your snacking try to replace unhealthy snacks (like chocolate bars) with a piece of fruit, (crisps/chips(if american) with nuts), and if you enjoy chocolate try to top fight high % cocoa as it will contain less sugars, but if you still want the low % cocoa high sugar, try to cut it into pieces and opt for 1 or 2 pieces a time instead of a whole bar.

Remember it's a journey not a race.

Quick Reply

Latest