The Student Room Group

[Official] Oxford Law Applicants 2020

Hi!

I was looking for a forum of Law (or Jurisprudence, I guess) applicants for Oxford, but I couldn't find one, so I made one!

I'm bricking it for my application - it got sent off yesterday!

Shall we introduce ourselves with our other UCAS stuff? I’ll start.

Universities applied to: Oxford (offer from St Anne's), Glasgow (offer), Durham (offer), Leeds (offer) and Cardiff (offer) - all for Law.

GCSEs: 10 9s in the core subjects (I did triple science) and History, Geography, Religious Studies and French.

AS Levels: A in Mathematics.

Predicted grades: A*A*A* in Biology, Chemistry and Religious Studies.

College applied to: open application to Oxford (allocated Queens), and University (Castle) college for Durham.

Good luck to everyone! Let’s update each other :smile: ❤️
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
10 9s??! wow how did you do it.... help me out here pls
Reply 2
Original post by alisa123
10 9s??! wow how did you do it.... help me out here pls

Ah thanks! My biggest advise would be to revise for your mock exams if your school does them. I had to revise nearly every day of the xmas holidays which was rubbish, but I learnt which revision techniques worked best for me and I got loads of my notes done! I didn't revise after that until like Easter, then I did about six hours a day with 2 days off a week during holidays. It sounds like a lot but if u start at 9am, and have a half hour break after each set of two hours, you can be done by 4 then go out! In term time, I didn't really revise on school nights, but I'd do every Saturday then have Sunday off.
In terms of techniques, I tried to make notes from the textbook/spec whenever I had an individual unit test. Then I read through them and condensed them into flashcards when it came to actual GCSE revision. After that it was just a case of doing loaaaads of practise papers- for maths they were the only revision I did! If you do a language I'd really recommend using Quizlet, it's free and super helpful for learning vocab etc. I did French and I learnt 1000 words on Quizlet, then did a bit of grammar and learnt flashcards for my orals, but it wasn't too painful.

Sorry for rambling (I'm actually procrastinating revising for my uni admissions test rn lol). If u want any subject specific advise lemme know! Happy to help. It sounds like a lot but it's really not if u start early and revise for each mini test you have - I'm sure you'll do amazing!! I did triple science, maths, eng lit and lang, then RS, history, geography and French. :smile: :smile:
Reply 3
Hi I am an international applicant applying for law as well! :smile:
I applied to Oxford, UCL, LSE, Durham and Warwick.
My predicted grades are equivalent to A*A*A* or A*A*A (problems of different qualifications) for History, Economics and Literature.
Open application at Oxford and St Mary's College at Durham.
(edited 4 years ago)
I applied to Oxford, KCL, UCL, LSE, Nottingham for Law
I got 9,8,8,8,8,A*,7,A,6 for GCSEs
I am predicted A*A*A in Politics, History, and English Literature respectively.
I'm applying directly to Keble College
My LNAT is on Thursday, all my unis are LNAT so I need to work quite hard for it, preferred Nottingham over Warwick although it was LNAT.

Would be happy to join any other chats for Law Applicants to Oxford.

Official law applicants thread is here(Not Oxford Specifically) -

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6130120&page=3
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by leilalj
Hi!
Was looking for a forum of just Law (or jurisprudence I guess) applicants for Oxford, but I couldn't find one, so I made one!

I'm bricking it for my application - it got sent off yesterday.

Shall we introduce ourselves with other Unis applied to, GCSEs, A-level predictions, AS (if you did them) and college applied to?

I applied to Oxford, Glasgow, Durham, Leeds (got an offer today!) and Cardiff for law.
I got 10 9s for GCSE and am predicted A*A*A* in Biology Chemistry and RS.
I got an A in Maths AS too but I dropped it.
I'm doing an open application for Oxford because I just reallllly want a place, and I applied to Castle (university) college at Durham.

If there's an official law applicants thread can someone copy the link in here? Otherwise let's make it this one! xx

Wow congrats on the Leeds offer! That’s very quick :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by leilalj
Ah thanks! My biggest advise would be to revise for your mock exams if your school does them. I had to revise nearly every day of the xmas holidays which was rubbish, but I learnt which revision techniques worked best for me and I got loads of my notes done! I didn't revise after that until like Easter, then I did about six hours a day with 2 days off a week during holidays. It sounds like a lot but if u start at 9am, and have a half hour break after each set of two hours, you can be done by 4 then go out! In term time, I didn't really revise on school nights, but I'd do every Saturday then have Sunday off.
In terms of techniques, I tried to make notes from the textbook/spec whenever I had an individual unit test. Then I read through them and condensed them into flashcards when it came to actual GCSE revision. After that it was just a case of doing loaaaads of practise papers- for maths they were the only revision I did! If you do a language I'd really recommend using Quizlet, it's free and super helpful for learning vocab etc. I did French and I learnt 1000 words on Quizlet, then did a bit of grammar and learnt flashcards for my orals, but it wasn't too painful.

Sorry for rambling (I'm actually procrastinating revising for my uni admissions test rn lol). If u want any subject specific advise lemme know! Happy to help. It sounds like a lot but it's really not if u start early and revise for each mini test you have - I'm sure you'll do amazing!! I did triple science, maths, eng lit and lang, then RS, history, geography and French. :smile: :smile:

thankyou so much and do you mind telling me what websites and revision books you used for the core subjects? (maths,science and english)
Reply 7
Original post by tyc2020
Hi I am an international applicant applying for law as well! :smile:
I applied to Oxford, UCL, LSE, Durham and Warwick.
My predicted grades are equivalent to A*A*A* or A*A*A (problems of different qualifications) for History, Economics and Literature.
Open application at Oxford and St Mary's College at Durham.

Hey! Nice choices! I live in London so I decided not to apply to London unis (wanted a change of scene) but they're really good!
Reply 8
Original post by fries123
thankyou so much and do you mind telling me what websites and revision books you used for the core subjects? (maths,science and english)

Yeah sure! I did aqa sciences and I used the CGP revision guides - they're a God send. For Maths I was on Edexcel so I just used the pearson edexcel revision guide book, practise papers book and practise questions books. I bought another set of three practise papers off amazon closer to my exams. For English I was on aqa and I didn't really use a textbook or revision guide, I used the Mr Bruff videos on youtube (they're great) and my own notes from lessons. I think the English revision guides tend to be quite simplistic and don't really include high level analysis, except the Poetry anthology one which was good. :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by shanelizard
Wow congrats on the Leeds offer! That’s very quick :smile:

Thank you :smile: I'm just relieved I'm going to uni now, but my heart is set on Glasgow or Oxford tbh
Reply 10
Original post by my_man_123
I applied to Oxford, KCL, UCL, LSE, Nottingham for Law
I got 9,8,8,8,8,A*,7,A,6 for GCSEs
I am predicted A*A*A in Politics, History, and English Literature respectively.
I'm applying directly to Keble College
My LNAT is on Thursday, all my unis are LNAT so I need to work quite hard for it, preferred Nottingham over Warwick although it was LNAT.

Would be happy to join any other chats for Law Applicants to Oxford.

Official law applicants thread is here(Not Oxford Specifically) -

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6130120&page=3

Hey! Good luck with the lnat, mine is on Monday I'm soooo nervous. Keble is so pretty! Thanks for including the link :smile: Nottingham has a really nice campus but I ended up choosing Leeds over it because I have a lot of family who went there and loved it- but I was really torn between the two for a while
hey! I am applying to oxford uni too! Has anyone applied to Brasenose?
Original post by leilalj
Yeah sure! I did aqa sciences and I used the CGP revision guides - they're a God send. For Maths I was on Edexcel so I just used the pearson edexcel revision guide book, practise papers book and practise questions books. I bought another set of three practise papers off amazon closer to my exams. For English I was on aqa and I didn't really use a textbook or revision guide, I used the Mr Bruff videos on youtube (they're great) and my own notes from lessons. I think the English revision guides tend to be quite simplistic and don't really include high level analysis, except the Poetry anthology one which was good. :smile:

thanks!
Original post by leilalj
Hi!
Was looking for a forum of just Law (or jurisprudence I guess) applicants for Oxford, but I couldn't find one, so I made one!

I'm bricking it for my application - it got sent off yesterday.

Shall we introduce ourselves with other Unis applied to, GCSEs, A-level predictions, AS (if you did them) and college applied to?

I applied to Oxford, Glasgow, Durham, Leeds (got an offer today!) and Cardiff for law.
I got 10 9s for GCSE and am predicted A*A*A* in Biology Chemistry and RS.
I got an A in Maths AS too but I dropped it.
I'm doing an open application for Oxford because I just reallllly want a place, and I applied to Castle (university) college at Durham.

If there's an official law applicants thread can someone copy the link in here? Otherwise let's make it this one! xx

A pedant (like I) will be along soon to tell you that you apply for Jurisprudence at Oxford, not common-old Law. They're very fancy there, you know...
Nice! Do not be negative, my LNAT is tomorrow so I will hopefully do well. Good to have someone looking at similar choices, we should keep each other updated!
GCSEs: 9998887777
A-Levels: A*AA and A in AS geography
LNAT: Friday
Choices: not sure if I want to go to London but if I do, I’ll apply to one or two of KCL/LSE. Other options are Oxford, Durham and UCL, if I only apply to one another London university I’ll apply to Manchester as an insurance

^^none of that made sense lol

Ah I’m worried about the multiple choice!

My college was Wadham! I chose randomly, I don’t know anything about colleges lmao I wasn’t going to apply to Oxford so it was a last minute thinng
(edited 4 years ago)
Applying to: KCL, Durham Manchester, Bristol, Oxford (LMH).
I also feel I have messed up the LNAT :/ I'm preparing myself for a gap year + applying to Cambridge.
I thought my essay section was okay. MCQ for me were horrifically harder than the test papers online. I had texts dated from the 1700s. Gutted.

Good luck everyone.
Original post by maddiecooke3102
Applying to: KCL, Durham Manchester, Bristol, Oxford (LMH).
I also feel I have messed up the LNAT :/ I'm preparing myself for a gap year + applying to Cambridge.
I thought my essay section was okay. MCQ for me were horrifically harder than the test papers online. I had texts dated from the 1700s. Gutted.

Good luck everyone.

Do you mean literally from 1700’s?
Reply 18
Original post by Reality Check
A pedant (like I) will be along soon to tell you that you apply for Jurisprudence at Oxford, not common-old Law. They're very fancy there, you know...

Yeah, I know!

My grades are a lot higher than the standard offers, but you’re right- it’s still very hard! No harm in hoping though.

I just said law since that’s what the course is called at most other unis in the UK, it’s essentially the same at Oxford, just under a different name :smile: still, thanks for letting me know!
Reply 19
Hey! It’s so hard to predict the LNAT score, don’t worry about it! I’m sure you did better than you think you did :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending