The Student Room Group

RAF NCACITC and JATCC

I have successfully been offered a position as an RAF ATC. However, I am stressed to bits about the training.

I have heard that the two courses (NCACITC and JATCC) have the two highest cut rates in the UK armed forces 25% and 30% fail respectively.

I am absolutely determined to do well and complete these courses and will work endlessly to do so. I am just wondering if anyone has any information about these courses and whether they are as difficult as people say.

I know it doesn't mean that much, but I scored 130 on ATC at CBAT so I should have the aptitude.

Cheers for any advice.
Reply 1
Original post by Cain000
I have successfully been offered a position as an RAF ATC. However, I am stressed to bits about the training.

I have heard that the two courses (NCACITC and JATCC) have the two highest cut rates in the UK armed forces 25% and 30% fail respectively.

I am absolutely determined to do well and complete these courses and will work endlessly to do so. I am just wondering if anyone has any information about these courses and whether they are as difficult as people say.

I know it doesn't mean that much, but I scored 130 on ATC at CBAT so I should have the aptitude.

Cheers for any advice.

Congratulations on your selection. They are tough courses but your third sentence sums up the advice I would give you and others. Just keep your head down, work hard and don’t give up when things get difficult. Remember you will have your course mates around you who will also be feeling the same, so work as a team and support each other. Your CBAT score is strong and there is clear evidence that those with stronger aptitude scores do better in Phase 2. However, aptitude is only part of the key to success. Attitude is the other key element and together you will give yourself the best chance of success. Probably doesn’t answer you question fully but good luck with it all.
Reply 2
Original post by Cain000

If they were easy, any old bugger could do them.

You've been selected to do them. Take confidence in that.
Reply 3
Original post by Fast74
Congratulations on your selection. They are tough courses but your third sentence sums up the advice I would give you and others. Just keep your head down, work hard and don’t give up when things get difficult. Remember you will have your course mates around you who will also be feeling the same, so work as a team and support each other. Your CBAT score is strong and there is clear evidence that those with stronger aptitude scores do better in Phase 2. However, aptitude is only part of the key to success. Attitude is the other key element and together you will give yourself the best chance of success. Probably doesn’t answer you question fully but good luck with it all.

Thanks a lot for the advice.

Yes, I am absolutely determined to do well and will work all hours to do so.

I'm currently going through Halton at the minute and I suppose it is easy to start doubting yourself when the Flight Staff are going ape **** shouting in your face haha.

I absolutely will not give up though.

Just a final question. You wouldn't know if those fail rates are accurate or just BRTC **** talk? I just really want to be fully prepared for when I got to Cranwell.
Reply 4
Original post by Drewski
If they were easy, any old bugger could do them.

You've been selected to do them. Take confidence in that.

Yes, I suppose that is a good way to look at it. Cheers mate.
Reply 5
Original post by Cain000

I'm currently going through Halton at the minute and I suppose it is easy to start doubting yourself when the Flight Staff are going ape **** shouting in your face haha.

Just a final question. You wouldn't know if those fail rates are accurate or just BRTC **** talk? I just really want to be fully prepared for when I got to Cranwell.

I do know what the failure rates are as it happens but if I told you the information was in accurate and the pass rate was 90%, would that make a difference to you? Try to take the courses at face value. Don’t put any unnecessary pressure on yourself. Failure rates are calculated over a period. Some courses are strong, some less so. Try to concentrate on being prepared for the course, the lesson, the subject, whatever the next event is and do your best all the time. Try not to worry about what the outcome might be. Think positively and regardless of what the pass rates are, concentrate on being part of the pass stastistic!
Reply 6
Original post by Cain000

Far more people fail to get to Halton than fail either of the courses you're about to do...
Reply 7
Original post by Fast74
I do know what the failure rates are as it happens but if I told you the information was in accurate and the pass rate was 90%, would that make a difference to you? Try to take the courses at face value. Don’t put any unnecessary pressure on yourself. Failure rates are calculated over a period. Some courses are strong, some less so. Try to concentrate on being prepared for the course, the lesson, the subject, whatever the next event is and do your best all the time. Try not to worry about what the outcome might be. Think positively and regardless of what the pass rates are, concentrate on being part of the pass stastistic!

Yes, that is what I am determined to do that. Thanks a lot for the advice. I know I must only concentrate on what I am in control of. I am just so statistics focussed

Post edited
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Cain000

Hi

The advice you've already been given is spot on - from the people who are answering on this thread you've got a wealth of experience, listen to it! ;-)

If you're still worrying, send me a DM and I can give you the contact details for the Air Ops team at Cranwell and they can talk you through what some of the phase two course will be like. But your time may be limited to be able to do that if you're already at Halton.

You're already over the first (and biggest hurdle) keep at it!

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
I have completed both those courses if you have any specific questions. (Though a fair amount of time ago now.)

Both are hard and should be considering the rank, pay and responsibility put onto you.

NCA is easier if you are fitter, work hard on BRTC at all the sessions and do phys during any hold before Cranwell.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by AlphaTango
I have completed both those courses if you have any specific questions. (Though a fair amount of time ago now.)

Both are hard and should be considering the rank, pay and responsibility put onto you.

NCA is easier if you are fitter, work hard on BRTC at all the sessions and do phys during any hold before Cranwell.

Hi, I like to think I am extremely fit and am determined to stay that way so I should not have a problem with the phys aspect of NCA.

Couple of Questions;
1) How many chances do you get on these courses. Are re-flights a possibility?
2) What did you find the most difficult about NCA and JATCC respectively.
3) What skills will make my life easier on NCA (e.g. Map reading)

That is all I can think of for now, but I will let you know if I think of any more.

Thanks again.
Original post by Cain000
Hi, I like to think I am extremely fit and am determined to stay that way so I should not have a problem with the phys aspect of NCA.

Couple of Questions;
1) How many chances do you get on these courses. Are re-flights a possibility?
2) What did you find the most difficult about NCA and JATCC respectively.
3) What skills will make my life easier on NCA (e.g. Map reading)

That is all I can think of for now, but I will let you know if I think of any more.

Thanks again.

Cain,

Apologies for the delay.

1. This varies on the OC of OACTU/SAOC. There have been both extremes, one shot and you’re out or four recourses where you aren’t good enough but you do it enough times to scrape the standard. I can’t give you a figure but I certainly wouldn’t be focusing on recourses now!
2. NCA; Very high standards and a lot of phys carrying lots of heavy equipment. If you are mega fit it gives you more capacity to take on the leadership trg rather than being focused on absolutely hanging out from phys.
JATCC; it is belt fed and fast paced, keep up with the learning curve. Most people find the relentless learning of new information the hardest to deal with.
3. If you can navigate already that’s great but I wouldn’t learn it now as they’ll teach you their way. Other than being fit. I wouldn’t stress just attack each hurdle as it comes.

Let me know if any further Q’s,

AT
Reply 12
Original post by AlphaTango
Cain,

Apologies for the delay.

1. This varies on the OC of OACTU/SAOC. There have been both extremes, one shot and you’re out or four recourses where you aren’t good enough but you do it enough times to scrape the standard. I can’t give you a figure but I certainly wouldn’t be focusing on recourses now!
2. NCA; Very high standards and a lot of phys carrying lots of heavy equipment. If you are mega fit it gives you more capacity to take on the leadership trg rather than being focused on absolutely hanging out from phys.
JATCC; it is belt fed and fast paced, keep up with the learning curve. Most people find the relentless learning of new information the hardest to deal with.
3. If you can navigate already that’s great but I wouldn’t learn it now as they’ll teach you their way. Other than being fit. I wouldn’t stress just attack each hurdle as it comes.

Let me know if any further Q’s,

AT

Thanks for your help.
Original post by Cain000

Cheers for any advice.

Cain, firstly, well done on getting selected and getting through Halton, it's more a pain in the arse than mentally demanding. Judging by the dates, I'm guessing you're holding on SATTs at the moment?

NCACITC is a different kettle of fish. Without sounding big headed, you realise why you have to go through selection for it, and they don't offer it out to just anyone. It's not the toughest course in the world, but you'll work solid for 11 weeks.

Don't worry about your ATC stuff right now, that'll come on JATCC. NCACITC is about followership, leadership, and potential to be a respectable SNCO.

Any questions, happy to help out with, but all I'd say is just have a smile on your face as much as possible. The inspection phase is ****, but probably the best laugh we had throughout.
Reply 14
Original post by BeardedLoadie
Cain, firstly, well done on getting selected and getting through Halton, it's more a pain in the arse than mentally demanding. Judging by the dates, I'm guessing you're holding on SATTs at the moment?

NCACITC is a different kettle of fish. Without sounding big headed, you realise why you have to go through selection for it, and they don't offer it out to just anyone. It's not the toughest course in the world, but you'll work solid for 11 weeks.

Don't worry about your ATC stuff right now, that'll come on JATCC. NCACITC is about followership, leadership, and potential to be a respectable SNCO.

Any questions, happy to help out with, but all I'd say is just have a smile on your face as much as possible. The inspection phase is ****, but probably the best laugh we had throughout.

I’d echo the above comments. My one piece of advice for NCA is do it the way they want to see you do it. I’m relatively unfit, I didn’t find it too demanding. The fitter you are the more capacity you will have to think. Then on the flip side, the more mentally agile you are the more capacity you’ll have to think. Use your strengths.

Quick Reply

Latest