The Student Room Group

French or Politics

I'm not sure whether to take French or Politics as my 3rd a level option; I know that I want to do English Lit and Ancient History as my first two options but don't know about my last. I appreciate these are two very different subjects and that politics would link in better with my first two choices, but I enjoy French and would like to have a foreign language as I want to become a social/ political journalist or a travel journalist. I know French will be more difficult, but is the step up that big? Is politics interesting? Will it be a bit annoying having three super similar subjects or useful? Which would be better for me? Should I have 3 traditional subjects to get into a good uni to study politics or English?
Thanks in advance,
L x
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Purplemonkeys
I'm not sure whether to take French or Politics as my 3rd a level option; I know that I want to do English Lit and Ancient History as my first two options but don't know about my last. I appreciate these are two very different subjects and that politics would link in better with my first two choices, but I enjoy French and would like to have a foreign language as I want to become a social/ political journalist or a travel journalist. I know French will be more difficult, but is the step up that big? Is politics interesting? Will it be a bit annoying having three super similar subjects or useful? Which would be better for me? Should I have 3 traditional subjects to get into a good uni to study politics or English?
Thanks in advance,
L x

French and politics are both traditional subjects, which will be acceptable to unis. If you want to study politics, of course you will have to have politics A level. I don't see how politics would link in better with English lit and Ancient History than French. If you want to be a political journalist, study politics. If you want to be a travel journalist is French. However you may not need French to be a travel journalist, as you would be travelling everywhere. The step up from French GCSE to A level is fairly big, but it is an interesting A level. The A levels you have chosen are not super similar either.

Go with whatever interests you most. You post sounds more politics- y than French though.
Definitely go for French, it’s a facilitating subject, politics isn’t. Don’t know why above says you need politics a level to study it at uni- I’m applying for history and politics at uni but I don’t do politics A level.
Also politics isn’t massively respected at a level and in terms of transferable skills you won’t really get anything from it that you don’t get from ancient history and English, studying a modern language at A level is super useful I would definitely recommend :smile: (I do latin a level rather than a modern language for a level, which would obviously be more useful, but I have many other friends who do 2 essay subjects with a language and we all agree it makes a nice variety- I do history and English and Latin.)
Original post by Oxford Mum
French and politics are both traditional subjects, which will be acceptable to unis. If you want to study politics, of course you will have to have politics A level. I don't see how politics would link in better with English lit and Ancient History than French. If you want to be a political journalist, study politics. If you want to be a travel journalist is French. However you may not need French to be a travel journalist, as you would be travelling everywhere. The step up from French GCSE to A level is fairly big, but it is an interesting A level. The A levels you have chosen are not super similar either.

Go with whatever interests you most. You post sounds more politics- y than French though.

Thanks for the advice, I will bear that in mind.
Original post by awkward1302
Definitely go for French, it’s a facilitating subject, politics isn’t. Don’t know why above says you need politics a level to study it at uni- I’m applying for history and politics at uni but I don’t do politics A level.
Also politics isn’t massively respected at a level and in terms of transferable skills you won’t really get anything from it that you don’t get from ancient history and English, studying a modern language at A level is super useful I would definitely recommend :smile: (I do latin a level rather than a modern language for a level, which would obviously be more useful, but I have many other friends who do 2 essay subjects with a language and we all agree it makes a nice variety- I do history and English and Latin.)

Thanks, is it not super difficult doing a foreign language?
I am a French graduate so I found the papers super interesting. I would look at past as papers to see what a step up it is.

Some people find languages naturally easy, others struggle. I don’t know which camp you would fall into. The a level I took in 1981 was much harder, but then o levels ( gcse) were much harder too
"Thanks, is it not super difficult doing a foreign language?" - Non

Same as most things - the harder you work the better you will become. Immerse yourself in the language - the internet is a great resource.

Find someone French who wants to learn English and swap time. Better a French lover!

It's great for travel. Remember French is also an official language of the EU. Holiday in France, Switzerland, Belgium and Italy - even Venice.

Master the vocabularly and verbs and tend to your accent.

Bon chance
Reply 7
Definitely go for French, it’s a facilitating subject, politics isn’t.

‘Facilitating’ subjects no longer exist. The list was removed by the Russel Group. It was deemed unfit for use. I don't know why we still mention ‘facilitating’ subjects when even the universities that first listed them felt that such a classification was unnecessary.

stop chatting rubbish. Politics A level is worth the same as all other essay based subjects. Facilitating subjects do not exist anymore, unis will see it as the same, unless it’s media studies or something. Politics is an academic subject and is respected as much as History, English or any other humanities/social science subject. Wait, and who said politics isn’t respected? or is it your own opinion? And why wouldn’t you get as much transferable skills in politics than in history? both are essay based, both require analytical thinking, both require examples, evaluation etc?
Original post by AnxiousGuy
stop chatting rubbish. Politics A level is worth the same as all other essay based subjects. Facilitating subjects do not exist anymore, unis will see it as the same, unless it’s media studies or something. Politics is an academic subject and is respected as much as History, English or any other humanities/social science subject. Wait, and who said politics isn’t respected? or is it your own opinion? And why wouldn’t you get as much transferable skills in politics than in history? both are essay based, both require analytical thinking, both require examples, evaluation etc?

If you actually read what I said you will see that the point I was making was that OP won’t really get any transferable skills from politics that they won’t get from ancient history or English- not that politics is less than these subjects. I was saying that it makes for a wider set of skills if u have a language with two essay subjects rather than 3 essay subjects.
If you actually read what I said you will see that the point I was making was that OP won’t really get any transferable skills from politics that they won’t get from ancient history or English- not that politics is less than these subjects. I was saying that it makes for a wider set of skills if u have a language with two essay subjects rather than 3 essay subjects.

ohhh my bad i misread what you said. i thought you said politics won’t give you any transferable skills as english and ancient history does
Original post by Oxford Mum
If you want to study politics, of course you will have to have politics A level.

I actually don't think this is the case as many schools don't offer A level Politics. :rambo:

@Purplemonkeys I'd go with whatever you find the most interesting and think you'll do well in. A level foreign languages aren't as difficult as people think them to be; I actually don't understand why they have that reputation. If you study French, you'll also look at society, culture, history and politics of Francophone states like France. Really enjoyable subject! :fluffy:
@Quick-use I also agree that French a level is fascinating. I love the literature and culture. It’s a great preparation for your year abroad if anyone goes on to study a degree in French, as I did.
Thanks for the advice, after looking around at the sixth form I intend to go to I think I'll choose French. I was much nore engaged with what is involved in french than in politics.
Thanks for the advice, after looking around at the sixth form I intend to go to I think I'll choose French. I was much nore engaged with what is involved in french than in politics.

I'm glad we've all helped you to make a decision that's right for you.

That's what the student room is for. xx

So glad! Foreign languages are the best. :love:
Reply 16
I would take politics any day over French (which I find a tedious language to learn, with all its silent letters) but that's just my opinion. I had in fact wanted to take politics but my college refused to let me as I was seen as somebody who was too enthusiastic who would potentially disrupt lessons. I still have a pretty good idea of how different political systems work, anyway.
Thanks in advance,
L x

Politics would go far better with history and English literature.
Original post by The-judge-16
Politics would go far better with history and English literature.

No, it wouldn't? In French, you literally study Francophone history and literature...
Personally, I studied French for AS and can safely say that it is a huge step up. I don't know much about politics but I would say that overall it's up to personal choice. Politics goes well with English and History, but French is so so valuable to employers, simply because its another language.

If you want to do travel journalism, I would say French is a safe bet - Politics doesn't sound so relevant to me for what career path you want to take. Having done up to French AS, I can speak, read and hear French adequately and understand what they are saying. You become more fluent than you realise!

Quick Reply