The Student Room Group

Extenuating cirumstances

Hi i am looking to apply to medicine this year however i believe my GCSE grades may hinder my chance,The school at which I took my GCSES well below the national average and during my final year at the school the school was shut down by ofsted due to the teaching and overall school being inadequate The headteacher along with a number of my subject teachers were fired immediately,I feel the level of education and support I received from my teachers during my gcse was inadequate and this vastly affected my grades.The school has now been transformed into an academy with new teachers and the gcse grades have increased significantly. I was just wondering if this would come under extenuating circumstances as i believe it was out of my hands and vastly affected my grades.
Original post by suf6799
Hi i am looking to apply to medicine this year however i believe my GCSE grades may hinder my chance,The school at which I took my GCSES well below the national average and during my final year at the school the school was shut down by ofsted due to the teaching and overall school being inadequate The headteacher along with a number of my subject teachers were fired immediately,I feel the level of education and support I received from my teachers during my gcse was inadequate and this vastly affected my grades.The school has now been transformed into an academy with new teachers and the gcse grades have increased significantly. I was just wondering if this would come under extenuating circumstances as i believe it was out of my hands and vastly affected my grades.

Presumably the former name of your school is on your UCAS? Are you at the 'same' school now? Your referee could mention this ..

[Btw, Ofsted does not shut schools - it can rate a school inadequate and then the consequence is the school becomes an academy]
hi no I am at a different school now and my old school is on the ucas website but just wondeing is this normally counted as extenuating circumstances
Original post by suf6799
hi no I am at a different school now and my old school is on the ucas website but just wondeing is this normally counted as extenuating circumstances

Hiya, I think it would be different for each individual university as to whether they would accept this as extenuating circumstances. I'd either call admissions or pop them an email for the universities you are thinking of applying for and see what they say! Good luck, I hope everything turns out well for you! :smile:
Hi I am looking to apply for medicine but did terrible in my ucat
607.5 and band2
However I was ill on the day of the ucat and vomited during the exam and had to go to the bathroom during my exam which vastly effected my results due to thime constraints of the ucat.
I know your not supposed to sit the ucat if you are ill however i took it on the last day so would not have been able to rearrange and was feeling slightly better before I went in I was wondering if this would count as mitigating circumstances
Thanks
Reply 5
The only way to know for sure is by calling Pearson Vue.
Reply 6
Original post by suf6799
607.5 and band2
However I was ill on the day of the ucat and vomited during the exam and had to go to the bathroom during my exam which vastly effected my results due to thime constraints of the ucat.
I know your not supposed to sit the ucat if you are ill however i took it on the last day so would not have been able to rearrange and was feeling slightly better before I went in I was wondering if this would count as mitigating circumstances
Thanks

https://www.ucat.ac.uk/ucat/test-day/mitigating-circumstances/
Original post by suf6799
607.5 and band2
Thanks

Hiya,
I remember it saying on the sheet you have to read before you go in that by sitting the ucat you are declaring yourself well enough to sit it. Because you sat your on the last day i’m not sure about whether this would apply completely. I’d probably call Pearson and ask and maybe pop your uni’s an email to let them know about the situation! Good luck with everything! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending