The Student Room Group

HYMS A100 2020 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Potat0lover
Hi guys,

Just wondering if it’s worth me applying to HYMS. I have a 1st class in diagnostic Radiography, alevel BBB, GCSE 5A* 4A +A* short course, ucat 2560 and band 1. No contextual points. Would this be enough to get an interview? Thanks in advance!

Hey,

Hull-York require ABB or above at A level for graduates
Original post by ben444
Hey,

Thank you! I’ve been looking at so many different pages I must have got my wires crossed 😅
Original post by Muez
I mean you have 69 points which is pretty good. I think last years cut off for points was 54.5.

Hi-where can I find the scoring for the UCAT scores by HYMS? And how many points does Band 2 get? Many Thanks!
Original post by f1_carzy
Hi-where can I find the scoring for the UCAT scores by HYMS? And how many points does Band 2 get? Many Thanks!

They keep that to themselves unfortunately and won’t tell anyone.
Original post by f1_carzy

They don’t release that information for “commercial” reasons. But in last years thread it was suggested

GCSE A* = 3.75 A= 3 and I’m not sure if they count a B but it was said B= 2.25

UCAT was said to be 4 points for each decile or 40 points for the 9th decile and minus 4 points for each decile below.

SJT band for selection for interview was said to be:
B1 = 15 points
B2 = 10 points
B3 = 5 points

But I don’t know how accurate/true this is since it is a speculation and not confirmed by HYMS.
Reply 45
Original post by ben444
Hey,

hi,
do they still require abb if you have a biomed degree?
and do grads get contextual points? if they do what polar quintile do they look at polar4 or polar3
Original post by medic1997_
hi,
and do grads get contextual points? if they do what polar quintile do they look at polar4 or polar3

Yes they do require ABB regardless of degree. Grads can get contextual points as far as I'm aware and I think that its polar 4 and 3.
Reply 47
Original post by ben444
Yes they do require ABB regardless of degree. Grads can get contextual points as far as I'm aware and I think that its polar 4 and 3.

:frown: i keep missing out on unis by one requirement
:frown: i keep missing out on unis by one requirement

Try Sheffield graduate, they require BBB at A level and if you're eligible for HYMS contextual you should be eligible for Sheffield widening participation grad course
Reply 49
Original post by ben444
Try Sheffield graduate, they require BBB at A level and if you're eligible for HYMS contextual you should be eligible for Sheffield widening participation grad course

i haven't got BBB but thanks anyways
i haven't got BBB but thanks anyways

What are your stats? I'm sure we can find places where you'll stand a good chance, grad or undergrad.
Reply 51
Original post by ben444
What are your stats? I'm sure we can find places where you'll stand a good chance, grad or undergrad.

BCD at a-level
2490 UCAT B2
predicted 2.1

right now i've put down on my UCAS ARU, Warwick & Kings (big risk but i really like the course), warwick in hope the cut off goes down
i know i'm not likely to get any interviews, but i'm just trying to find unis i actually meet the requirements to
only really see potential in ARU

what do you think of Southampton a100? (i meet the CC at AS requirement for chem and bio)
BCD at a-level
2490 UCAT B2
predicted 2.1

right now i've put down on my UCAS ARU, Warwick & Kings (big risk but i really like the course), warwick in hope the cut off goes down
i know i'm not likely to get any interviews, but i'm just trying to find unis i actually meet the requirements to

what do you think of Southampton a100? (i meet the CC at AS requirement for chem and bio)

You can get interviews with those stats. I personally think Kings and Warwick don't bode well sadly. If I were you, I wouldnt apply. I dont mean to be harsh at all, just trying to maximise your chances.

You could look into Kent and Medway medical school, I believe they only require a 2.1 and no specific A levels (at least I cant find any listed for graduates, it would be useful to ring them and check).

Southampton I think is an option, although the cut off has been higher than your score previously so it will be a risk.

ARU is a good option

I have just looked through every uni and the only thing holding you back is your A levels, which is a massive shame. You might have to just go for Warwick and kings and hope the UCAT cut offs are reduced. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Reply 53
Original post by ben444
You can get interviews with those stats. I personally think Kings and Warwick don't bode well sadly. If I were you, I wouldnt apply. I dont mean to be harsh at all, just trying to maximise your chances.

You could look into Kent and Medway medical school, I believe they only require a 2.1 and no specific A levels (at least I cant find any listed for graduates, it would be useful to ring them and check).

Southampton I think is an option, although the cut off has been higher than your score previously so it will be a risk.

ARU is a good option

I have just looked through every uni and the only thing holding you back is your A levels, which is a massive shame. You might have to just go for Warwick and kings and hope the UCAT cut offs are reduced. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

thank you for checking for me, that's so kind
i might take warwick out but i'll decide in a few days however, what about dundee? they don't seem to have any school req.
also when i said kings i meant A100, theres a small chance i'll get an interview based on past stats and i also meet the contextual points thing there too, still a big risk but marginally smaller lol
thank you for checking for me, that's so kind
i might take warwick out but i'll decide in a few days however, what about dundee? they don't seem to have any school req.
also when i said kings i meant A100, theres a small chance i'll get an interview based on past stats and i also meet the contextual points thing there too, still a big risk but marginally smaller lol

I have a friend who graduated last year and got into dundee with a UCAT of 580ish however, dundee have massively reduced the intake of RUK students. I think it would be better to apply there than Kings though :smile:
hi,

I’m not sure about the contextual points but when I rang them yesterday they said you need to meet the minimum a level grades irrespective of degree
Reply 56
Original post by Potat0lover
I’m not sure about the contextual points but when I rang them yesterday they said you need to meet the minimum a level grades irrespective of degree

ah okay thanks!! seems a little pointless for the high requirements for grads tbh but i understand
Thanks anyway!!
BCD at a-level
2490 UCAT B2
predicted 2.1

Hey!
As @ben444 has already suggested, it could be worth checking out Kent and Medway medical school. Their entry requirements for graduates are a 2:1, although they don't specify anything about their UCAT requirements as they're a new school. If you are interested in KMMS, then I'd recommend checking out the thread for current 2020 applicants as they have been able to find out a lot more information on the entry requirements/application/interview selection process than is currently available on the website, which you might find useful :smile:
Here is the link to the thread in case you're interested at all.
Best of luck with your university search!
Reply 58
Original post by StudentRep Annabel
Hey!
As @ben444 has already suggested, it could be worth checking out Kent and Medway medical school. Their entry requirements for graduates are a 2:1, although they don't specify anything about their UCAT requirements as they're a new school. If you are interested in KMMS, then I'd recommend checking out the thread for current 2020 applicants as they have been able to find out a lot more information on the entry requirements/application/interview selection process than is currently available on the website, which you might find useful :smile:
Here is the link to the thread in case you're interested at all.
Best of luck with your university search!

hey, i don't meet their requirements either lol
they mention i need to have met the GCSE requirements before I apply and they require a B in GCSE english, i'm resitting GCSE english next year in 2020 so i can't apply there either
I have a UCAT score of 2470 with a band 1 in SJ. My GCSES are A*A*A*88777AB and I am predicted 3 As in my A levels. I am considering HYMS, would I have a strong chance of being offered an interview with this academic profile?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending