The Student Room Group

Is Triple Science Hard

Is AQA triple science hard or easy and do you recommend it or not. I have to choose either triple science or re.
I want to do a level biology,chemistry and maths so is combined science worth it

thanks
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Triple science is harder than combined science but if you want to do science A levels then obviously it makes sense?
Choose which you like best. Triple science is good. The only difference between triple and combined is that there are a few more topics in triple. If you are thinking about taking a science for a levels (I know it’s still a while away) you should probably take triple because they can overlap with a level. But re is also good. Don’t know which exam board re you’d be doing but I did Edexcel and it was a fun and easy (for me) subject.
Reply 3
Original post by ChameleonRun
Is AQA triple science hard or easy and do you recommend it or not. I have to choose either triple science or re.
I want to do a level biology,chemistry and maths so is combined science worth it

thanks

I am doing triple science and for me i would say to do Re instead but it all depends on how much you like the sciences as I hate biology and I don't mind Re. I would say the hardest science is Biolagy but other people say it's really easy so i would say you should pick whatever you prefer. All the sciences are somewhat hard at GCSE but it's just whatever your preferance is
Original post by Apollo42
I am doing triple science and for me i would say to do Re instead but it all depends on how much you like the sciences as I hate biology and I don't mind Re. I would say the hardest science is Biolagy but other people say it's really easy so i would say you should pick whatever you prefer. All the sciences are somewhat hard at GCSE but it's just whatever your preferance is

thanks have until next month to decide

thanks

Hey,
I did triple science in yr 11 and i loved it and I'd say it was definitely worth it. You learn things that you wouldn't normally learn in combined. It's not too different to combined, the exams are just 30 mins longer and there's more content and practicals. You don't need triple to study those subjects at A level as you go over everything from GCSE at the beginning of the course so you should be alright. It entirely comes down to you and whether you want an extra GCSE. I wouldn't worry too much though. And, honestly, id go for triple science because i did better in that than re.
Good luck :smile:
Original post by spectrum84
Hey,
I did triple science in yr 11 and i loved it and I'd say it was definitely worth it. You learn things that you wouldn't normally learn in combined. It's not too different to combined, the exams are just 30 mins longer and there's more content and practicals. You don't need triple to study those subjects at A level as you go over everything from GCSE at the beginning of the course so you should be alright. It entirely comes down to you and whether you want an extra GCSE. I wouldn't worry too much though. And, honestly, id go for triple science because i did better in that than re.
Good luck :smile:

thanks i will do triple science
thanks i will do triple science

Great. Let me know how it goes and if you need any help.
Great. Let me know how it goes and if you need any help.

thanks do you have any revision tips for science.

Right now we are studying

Biology 1 ( Cell Biology)
Chemistry 1 (Atomic structure and the periodic table)
Physics 1 (Energy)

In year 8 i was in set 1 where i had a awful teacher. In May we had a test on exothermic and endothermic reaction and revised a lot over the holidays and only manged to get 55 percent. In July our end of year test i got 50% one of the lowest and with a few other people in set 1 i am now in set 2.

Now we have one teacher for each science. 1 once a week for one different teacher for Biology,Chemistry and Physics and are studying those topics whereas set 1 now have a really good teacher and only have once teacher.

In January we will have a test on those 3 topics and we need a minimum of 70% in all 3 as of 60 people want to do triple science but only 30 are allowed. I really want to do well but i am scared i will not pass.

Do you have any revision tips to help me succeed

Thank You
(edited 4 years ago)
it depends on how interested you are in science. I did AQA triple and got three 9s, and I can tell you now that it's not that much harder than combined. I do A level bio,chem,maths & physics now and I can tell you that the combined people in my class are behind, mainly because our teachers don't want to waste time teaching GCSE content. just prepare well by working hard frpm year 10 and you'll be fine.
triple science in general was a breeze, but that's only cuz I planned out my revision strategically and started revising from mid year 10. If you start early and revise smartly, you'd guarantee yourself great results.
Original post by crusty kebab
triple science in general was a breeze, but that's only cuz I planned out my revision strategically and started revising from mid year 10. If you start early and revise smartly, you'd guarantee yourself great results.

thanks how can i revise for science
Original post by jadarose
it depends on how interested you are in science. I did AQA triple and got three 9s, and I can tell you now that it's not that much harder than combined. I do A level bio,chem,maths & physics now and I can tell you that the combined people in my class are behind, mainly because our teachers don't want to waste time teaching GCSE content. just prepare well by working hard frpm year 10 and you'll be fine.

seneca, freesciencelessons on youtube, and exam style questions/ past papers: the CGP exam question books are really good and the CGP practise papers were very close to the actual exam setup. but at the moment, the most important thing is to understand the content
thanks do you have any revision tips for science.

Right now we are studying

Biology 1 ( Cell Biology)
Chemistry 1 (Atomic structure and the periodic table)
Physics 1 (Energy)

In year 8 i was in set 1 where i had a awful teacher. In May we had a test on exothermic and endothermic reaction and revised a lot over the holidays and only manged to get 55 percent. In July our end of year test i got 50% one of the lowest and with a few other people in set 1 i am now in set 2.

Now we have one teacher for each science. 1 once a week for one different teacher for Biology,Chemistry and Physics and are studying those topics whereas set 1 now have a really good teacher and only have once teacher.

In January we will have a test on those 3 topics and we need a minimum of 70% in all 3 as of 60 people want to do triple science but only 30 are allowed. I really want to do well but i am scared i will not pass.

Do you have any revision tips to help me succeed

Thank You

Not the best person to ask for revision tips to be honest. But if i were in your shoes i really wouldn't worry. We didn't get to study triple science until yr 11 so we had one year to go through the entire course. We had new teachers that taught us, one for every subject. In terms of revision, i didn't really revise until much closer to the exams (which i do NOT recommend at all) which i regret. Also there's an amazing youtube channel called freesciencelessons which covers all the content from triple and i made notes on everything he said and just learnt them. That way, you are more than ready for the test. Go over past papers so you know what the exam board wants from you and you should be fine. And please try to understand what you are being taught, especially in physics. It gets so much more complicated the more you study. So just go over your notes and above all understand what you are being taught.
Original post by jadarose
seneca, freesciencelessons on youtube, and exam style questions/ past papers: the CGP exam question books are really good and the CGP practise papers were very close to the actual exam setup. but at the moment, the most important thing is to understand the content

thank you
Not the best person to ask for revision tips to be honest. But if i were in your shoes i really wouldn't worry. We didn't get to study triple science until yr 11 so we had one year to go through the entire course. We had new teachers that taught us, one for every subject. In terms of revision, i didn't really revise until much closer to the exams (which i do NOT recommend at all) which i regret. Also there's an amazing youtube channel called freesciencelessons which covers all the content from triple and i made notes on everything he said and just learnt them. That way, you are more than ready for the test. Go over past papers so you know what the exam board wants from you and you should be fine. And please try to understand what you are being taught, especially in physics. It gets so much more complicated the more you study. So just go over your notes and above all understand what you are being taught.

thank you just tried freesciencelessons and he is very good thanks
Get the revision guide +/ textbook for your exam board for each of the sciences (make sure they include the triple science topics).

They will include all of the information you need to know, and there will be practice questions to check your knowledge and understanding.
Original post by AGrizzlyBearo
Get the revision guide +/ textbook for your exam board for each of the sciences (make sure they include the triple science topics).

They will include all of the information you need to know, and there will be practice questions to check your knowledge and understanding.

thanks
Reply 19
I chose triple science and I’ve loved it. Teachers seem to focus more on pushing your grades with triple students gaining 7+ in mocks and top set combined science barely averaging a 4. Obviously this varies by school, but it’s definitely worth it. There’s only a few things extra that you learn at the end of each model, like for biology at the end of B5 you study the brain and for physics at the end of P6 you study gas pressure, but all in all it isn’t really much harder. Also Many combined science students (especially AQA) find that they sometimes put some “triple science” content in there, which makes it better doing the harder paper that you can prepare for. All in all I’d recommend it, especially if you want to go into a science career path and take science a levels!

Quick Reply

Latest