The Student Room Group

GCSES? Completed It, Mate. So, What Now?

TSR Photo.jpg

So, my name is Romi. I am 16, and have just began my A Levels in Year 12! (I can't quite believe it). I am taking 4 A Levels currently; Maths, Physics, Design & Technology (Product Design) and Spanish. I am hoping to do an Engineering degree once I have completed my A Levels, but I am also considering a Year in Industry before going to university. I will be quite honest with you, I wasn't very consistent with my GCSEs. Sometimes, I would overwork myself, and other times, I wouldn't work at all. I would like, in Year 12, to be consistent and make sure I am always in the same mindset for working, to help with when the real stress kicks in next year :smile:

Not only am I 'academic', I also love an extracurricular here and there. I am a part of my school's Combined Cadet Force, Chapel Choir and Debate Team. I am also working towards my Gold Duke of Edinburgh and mentor the younger students in my school with their reading. Due to this, I would love if this year I could get more sleep, to try and manage all of what I have got on better than I have in the past.

I also am a sufferer of Endometriosis, which means sometimes I can miss large amounts of school time because I am in the hospital... but more on that later :smile:

It's quite easy to say now, but I would love to attend a top university. Durham is the dream, ever since I visited and was able to experience 3 days of living in a college, and studying in the Engineering Department, this summer. But things change, and I would like to keep my options open university-wise.

I hope you enjoy following my journey!

GCSE Results

Spoiler

Current A Level Predictions (11/10/19)

Spoiler

Lower Sixth Goals

Spoiler

(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by romiw23

So, my name is Romi. I am 16, and have just began my A Levels in Year 12! (I can't quite believe it). I am taking 4 A Levels currently; Maths, Physics, Design & Technology (Product Design) and Spanish. I am hoping to do an Engineering degree once I have completed my A Levels, but I am also considering a Year in Industry before going to university. I will be quite honest with you, I wasn't very consistent with my GCSEs. Sometimes, I would overwork myself, and other times, I wouldn't work at all. I would like, in Year 12, to be consistent and make sure I am always in the same mindset for working, to help with when the real stress kicks in next year :smile:

It's quite easy to say now, but I would love to attend a top university. Durham is the dream, ever since I visited and was able to experience 3 days of living in a college, and studying in the Engineering Department, this summer. But things change, and I would like to keep my options open university-wise.

I hope you enjoy following my journey!

GCSE Results

Spoiler

A Level Predictions

Spoiler

Well done on your GCSEs! I hope your a levels go well :biggrin:
Love the inbetweeners reference, man of culture 🤝
Reply 3
Original post by Hazzabear
Well done on your GCSEs! I hope your a levels go well :biggrin:

Thank you! Trying my best! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous__02
Love the inbetweeners reference, man of culture 🤝

Uno it, keeping it real, hope you enjoy :biggrin:
Reply 5
I'm curious to see the direction that this blog goes in. Good luck. I'd like to be tagged.
Reply 6
Original post by Tolgarda
I'm curious to see the direction that this blog goes in. Good luck. I'd like to be tagged.

Thank you! and of course :smile:
Reply 7
Sunday 13th October 2019

I started this Grow Your Grades last night, kind of spontaneously. Especially considering I am just entering my last week of the first half term in Lower Sixth (!!). Also, I got my grades on Friday, and my teachers have already made my rough predictions, which are what I put into my Introduction :wink: Today, though, I haven't done much work. Just admin, little bits and pieces in preparation for half term. I get TWO WHOLE WEEKS of October half term, but for one week of that I will be rambling around the Lake District in an effort to complete my Gold Duke of Edinburgh (woooo!). I fully plan on taking the second week to review this half term properly, so I don't find myself flailing next year because I didn't properly review my first half terms worth of topics. Starting as we mean to go on, and all of that...

Spoiler

(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 8
Tuesday 15th October 2019

Arghhhhh! I'm counting the days down till half term, I don't think my brain can handle much more information, or it might explode! I start my DT coursework (or NEA) today. I have a high reputation with DT coursework, I performed quite well in my GCSE coursework, so I feel the stakes are high. A pressure to meet them is what I am feeling. I put blood, sweat and tears into my GCSE coursework, I am not sure if I am ready to go through all of that again... but, I know I can use coursework to my advantage, as sometimes I can be a bit shaky on theory in exams. I made sure to get 9 and a half hours sleep last night. I am ready (at least I'll keep telling myself that)!

I am ready for half term though, sometimes I just need a break from taking in new information, so I can make sure old information is good and all polished :wink: It is the only way I am going to be able to achieve the grades I would really love to have! Hope everyone else's week is going well :biggrin:

Spoiler

(edited 4 years ago)
Counting down the days to midterm too! :bebored:
Reply 10
Original post by emilynxlan
Counting down the days to midterm too! :bebored:

except... I've got DofE during midterm :frown:
Original post by romiw23
except... I've got DofE during midterm :frown:

:console:
Reply 12
Sunday 27th October 2019

Hellooooo! Sorry... I've been away :frown: Butttttttt! I am back off Duke of Edinburgh, it was hard. I don't think I am quite healed enough to recount it to you yet...

Tomorrow, I am midway through my half term which means I have to start my half term work. I am fully throwing myself into revision and reviewing topics to make sure when I go back next Monday, all of the topics I covered last half term are cemented into my mind. I am quite determined to carry on with 4 subjects so this is what I need to do to ensure I can keep going. And if I have time, even though I don't take English Literature A Level, I may do a English Literature essay for a competition. Just because, I love it :smile:

Hope everyone is working hard, and resting too!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending