The Student Room Group

Is doing 3 A-levels and an AS better than just doing 3?

I am currently taking Biology, Psychology, Business and Chemistry. Chemistry is by far my hardest subject but I’m getting there with it, although I kind of want to drop it. Is it worth keeping it to do an AS in it or just dropping it and focusing on 3? Will my university offer be any lower if I do the AS or will it not benefit me at all?

Thanks all!

Scroll to see replies

If you feel like it’ll compromise your grades in your other three subjects, I’d say drop it. If you can do an EPQ, I’d suggest taking that up instead of chemistry as universities sometimes lower entry requirements by a grade if you get a good grade in the EPQ, such as the UEA for example. If chemistry won’t be useful for what you want to do at university, don’t bother taking it.
(edited 4 years ago)
If you can do an AS without it effecting ur others then do that otherwise drop
doing 4 AS levels was only helpful to me because it gave me one extra choice at the end of the first as to which I wanted to carry on with

an extra AS won't lower your offer in most circumstances

you might find it helps with your degree - for example, AS maths in preparation for a degree with some mathematical content (but that doesn't require full A level maths) could be useful - but that's about it
Original post by lcrabt21
I am currently taking Biology, Psychology, Business and Chemistry. Chemistry is by far my hardest subject but I’m getting there with it, although I kind of want to drop it. Is it worth keeping it to do an AS in it or just dropping it and focusing on 3? Will my university offer be any lower if I do the AS or will it not benefit me at all?

Thanks all!

Literally no benefit at all. Just drop it.

You won't have an advantage in your university applications for having it either. Also, unless you're wanting to do a degree that requires at least AS Chemistry, universities will ignore it when giving out offers and focus on your three A2 subjects.

Ergo, drop it and be free. :rambo:
Doing anything 'extra' beyond 3 A levels really is a total waste of time.
Universities are not impressed by it, and it will have no impact on you getting an offer.

I have seen too many people missing offers because of this daftness. Don't do it.
Reply 6
Original post by Quick-use
Literally no benefit at all. Just drop it.

You won't have an advantage in your university applications for having it either. Also, unless you're wanting to do a degree that requires at least AS Chemistry, universities will ignore it when giving out offers and focus on your three A2 subjects.

Ergo, drop it and be free. :rambo:

Would you suggest an EPQ instead? Also my Business is technically more like a BTEC as it’s an Applied General (AQA) so will this change anything?
Reply 7
Original post by returnmigrant
Doing anything 'extra' beyond 3 A levels really is a total waste of time.
Universities are not impressed by it, and it will have no impact on you getting an offer.

I have seen too many people missing offers because of this daftness. Don't do it.

Thank you! This was really helpful, would an EPQ be suggested or just stick to 3? Also my business is technically more like a BTEC as it’s an Applied General, so would this change anything?
Reply 8
Original post by clarecassar
If you feel like it’ll compromise your grades in your other three subjects, I’d say drop it. If you can do an EPQ, I’d suggest taking that up instead of chemistry as universities sometimes lower entry requirements by a grade if you get a good grade in the EPQ, such as the UEA for example. If chemistry won’t be useful for what you want to do at university, don’t bother taking it.

I want to study Psychology at university, so I don’t know how much it’ll benefit me, but my school does offer an EPQ so I could do that! Thank you so much!
Reply 9
Original post by HoldThisL
doing 4 AS levels was only helpful to me because it gave me one extra choice at the end of the first as to which I wanted to carry on with

an extra AS won't lower your offer in most circumstances

you might find it helps with your degree - for example, AS maths in preparation for a degree with some mathematical content (but that doesn't require full A level maths) could be useful - but that's about it

I want to study Psychology so I’m not sure how helpful it would be. Would you suggest an EPQ instead?
Reply 10
Original post by Sophhhowa
If you can do an AS without it effecting ur others then do that otherwise drop

Would you suggest an EPQ instead of the AS?
I want to study Psychology so I’m not sure how helpful it would be. Would you suggest an EPQ instead?

epqs are good for university essay practice, you might get an offer reduced by a grade and/or if you miss your offer by a grade, the epq might help you get in anyway
Reply 12
Original post by HoldThisL
epqs are good for university essay practice, you might get an offer reduced by a grade and/or if you miss your offer by a grade, the epq might help you get in anyway

Thank you! Do you think doing 2 A levels and an Applied General (business) will affect my offers? I know they’re supposed to be seen as equal but will they really be? I do have the academic side of having biology and psychology I guess
Many people abandon their EPQ when they get offers that don't require it - and sensibly concentrate just o their 3 subjects.
Reply 14
Original post by returnmigrant
Many people abandon their EPQ when they get offers that don't require it - and sensibly concentrate just o their 3 subjects.

Ok thank you! So you don’t think it matters that one of my subjects is an Applied general?
I want to study Psychology at university, so I don’t know how much it’ll benefit me, but my school does offer an EPQ so I could do that! Thank you so much!

Biology is the best science for psychology and you’ve got that so it shouldn’t matter too much if you drop chemistry. And then if you take up an EPQ, you could do it on a subject relating to psychology so that in your interviews you could speak about that perhaps! No problem! :smile:
Would you suggest an EPQ instead? Also my Business is technically more like a BTEC as it’s an Applied General (AQA) so will this change anything?

I think your subjects are fine. Do an EPQ if you really want to. What universities do you want to go to? I'd encourage you to email them and explain your your situation (whether or not your chosen 3 subjects will be accepted) and whether or not they'd recommend doing an EPQ. :rambo:
Reply 17
Original post by clarecassar
Biology is the best science for psychology and you’ve got that so it shouldn’t matter too much if you drop chemistry. And then if you take up an EPQ, you could do it on a subject relating to psychology so that in your interviews you could speak about that perhaps! No problem! :smile:

This is so informative thank you! Do you think it’ll matter that my 3rd subject is an Applied General and not an A level as such?
Reply 18
Original post by Quick-use
I think your subjects are fine. Do an EPQ if you really want to. What universities do you want to go to? I'd encourage you to email them and explain your your situation (whether or not your chosen 3 subjects will be accepted) and whether or not they'd recommend doing an EPQ. :rambo:

Thank you very much! I think I will do that over a day in half term so I can note down which unis will and will not accept me. I think I might take on an EPQ and if it gets too much I can always drop it. Honestly I’m not too bothered about what uni I go to as long as it’s got a good psychology sector. It would be nice to go to a Russel Group but to be honest, there are plenty of good unis which aren’t so I will have to do my research I think.
Thank you very much! I think I will do that over a day in half term so I can note down which unis will and will not accept me. I think I might take on an EPQ and if it gets too much I can always drop it. Honestly I’m not too bothered about what uni I go to as long as it’s got a good psychology sector. It would be nice to go to a Russel Group but to be honest, there are plenty of good unis which aren’t so I will have to do my research I think.

Sounds like you have an excellent plan in motion! :rambo:

Russel Group isn't the be all and end all. Excellent universities like St Andrews, Lancaster and SOAS aren't RG and yet they're good as, if not better, than many RG universities.

Quick Reply

Latest