The Student Room Group

People doing GCSEs in 2020...Welcome!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Purplemonkeys
Hi everyone, I'm doing most of my GCSEs this year but did one last year at the end if yesr 10 in English Lit. I got a 9 do if anyone wants English help, just ask me. I'm really nervous about maths, science and Spanish.

How did you revise for both englishes as I am on a secure a 5 right now but I want to get at least a 7? I am doing AQA
My main problem is creative writing for both papers
(edited 4 years ago)
Hi everyone, I'm doing most of my GCSEs this year but did one last year at the end if yesr 10 in English Lit. I got a 9 do if anyone wants English help, just ask me. I'm really nervous about maths, science and Spanish.

Hey, I can't help with Spanish but for Maths and Science, which topics?

Also, how did you answer Question 3 on both papers for English Lit and what was your best method of analysing and memorizing quotes?

How did you prepare for the poetry section to get a 9? I am predicted a 9 but having to learn 15 poems from the Power and Conflict Anthology, seems impossible, especially me when my memory is so bad
Original post by Rolo1234
How did you revise for both englishes as I am on a secure a 5 right now but I want to get at least a 7? I am doing AQA
My main problem is creative writing for both papers

Firstly, there is no creative writing involved with English Literature. The first paper for English Lit is based on your Shakespeare play nd your 19th century novel. The second paper is your 15 poems and your 20th century novel. For me personally, this was Romeo and Juliet and a Christmas Carol on Paper 1, and Power and Conflict poetry plus Lord of the Flies on Paper 2.

If you're talking about English language, creative writing is only on Paper 1 section B. Paper 1 section A involves analysis (like in English Lit), as does Paper 2 Section A. Paper 2 Section B consists of persuasive writing.

You don't do creative writing on both papers. You do two different types of writing on Section B of your two English Language papers.

What I'm trying to say is don't worry as it is not prevalent, however it is worth 40 marks so I can imagine you intend to do well with it. My advice would be to read a wide range of fiction books and keep doing so, and practice creative writing questions consistently. You might find Mr Bruff helps, too. Also, look at different techniques used by writers and attempt to implement them in your work, and different sentence starters. Work on vocabulary, too. Find out and look at the meaning of words you don't know, and use as many ambitious words as you can.
Original post by Digitidal
Hey, I can't help with Spanish but for Maths and Science, which topics?

Also, how did you answer Question 3 on both papers for English Lit and what was your best method of analysing and memorizing quotes?

Numerous topics, such as vectors and geometry and a large chunk of chemistry stuff.

Which one was question 3, again?

For analysis, focus on specific words and connotations you can link to them.

For example, red-blood, danger-sets an ominous undertone-foreboding. Potentially foreshadows....

Or fire-passion, danger. Death and hell. Hell links to religious imagery, which you could link in to whichever text or poem you're analysing. Also, of you know context, slip it in there after your analysis.

As for memorizing quotes, Mr Bruff helped me with the books and Spitting Ink helped me with poetry (through tapping the poems). You can find them both on YouTube. That's because I'm an auditory learner, but you might be more well suited to writing or reading things to memorize them. If that's the case, mindmaps should work for you, and flashcards. Highlighting, too.

If you don't mind me asking, what grade level are you working at in English Lit?

L
Reply 25
BidmasBracketsIndeciceDivisionMulitiplication Ect..
Firstly, there is no creative writing involved with English Literature. The first paper for English Lit is based on your Shakespeare play nd your 19th century novel. The second paper is your 15 poems and your 20th century novel. For me personally, this was Romeo and Juliet and a Christmas Carol on Paper 1, and Power and Conflict poetry plus Lord of the Flies on Paper 2.

If you're talking about English language, creative writing is only on Paper 1 section B. Paper 1 section A involves analysis (like in English Lit), as does Paper 2 Section A. Paper 2 Section B consists of persuasive writing.

You don't do creative writing on both papers. You do two different types of writing on Section B of your two English Language papers.

What I'm trying to say is don't worry as it is not prevalent, however it is worth 40 marks so I can imagine you intend to do well with it. My advice would be to read a wide range of fiction books and keep doing so, and practice creative writing questions consistently. You might find Mr Bruff helps, too. Also, look at different techniques used by writers and attempt to implement them in your work, and different sentence starters. Work on vocabulary, too. Find out and look at the meaning of words you don't know, and use as many ambitious words as you can.

Sorry that was a typo, I know that there is no creative writing for english literature but there is for paper 1 and 2 for english language. How would I write top level essays for english literature because in the exams I feel like I am putting everything I know including good analysis, context etc. but what I dont know is how to make it better. Also if it is possible would you be able to post an example of a grade 7 and above answer?

As for english language, you said to read lots of books but can I not find good words on the internet and learn them?
Also, you said that it is not the most important so if I do terribly in the english language creative writing. e.g get 20/40 for each would I still be able to get that 7 if I do well on the rest?
Thank you
(edited 4 years ago)
I’m doing WJEC exam board and I’m sitting the of mice and men & unseen poems I’m so scared
Even though it’s in January it’s my first external exam😱
Have you guys started to revise because Im over here procrastinating:s-smilie::eek:

Not at all and now I feel like I'll fail. Ehhhhhh
Original post by LokiSonOfOdin
Not at all and now I feel like I'll fail. Ehhhhhh

What subjects are you taking?
so, idk about you guys but i already feel like i'm failing.
the problem is that i'm not revising, when i know i should be.
Reply 32

What exam board were you?
Original post by IkathleenI
I’m so nervous, I used to think I had ages but now the time has nearly come and I’m dreading it

Same- I feel way too young!!
Original post by MayaLS
What exam board were you?

Sorry I never replied, it was AQA
oh my gosh! well done! if you have any english lit notes that you wouldnt mind sharing that would be SO helpful, because im somewhat struggling in literature. im sure you'll do amazing though!
Original post by username3046474
Hey guys,

PM me for a personalised timetable. I will be happy to make you one to organise your revision effectively so you are not wasting any time.

Good luck for your GCSE’s. You will do great!

sorry im a bit late to this thread but would you be able to make one for me? i would be so grateful, thank you so much!
Anyone else got GCSEs on their birthday.... :sigh:
Original post by roseabates
Anyone else got GCSEs on their birthday.... :sigh:

GCSE results day is on my birthday!:unimpressed:
GCSE results day is on my birthday!:unimpressed:

ouch!!!

Quick Reply

Latest