The Student Room Group

Harry Dunn crash: US diplomat's wife 'devastated' by his death

Apparently not 'devastated' enough to come back here and face justice though.
Although its nice to hear that the UK government considers her immunity 'null and void' following her fleeing. Alas i have yet to hear of many cases where the States extradites its citizens irrespective of immunity etc.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-50030750

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Napp
Although its nice to hear that the UK government considers her immunity 'null and void' following her fleeing. Alas i have yet to hear of many cases where the States extradites its citizens irrespective of immunity etc.

The uk government could support by helping with a civil law suit against the woman while she is in America and also try instituting extradition procedure?
Reply 2
And you wonder why people have American-phobia
The hostile, automatic "guilty of some crime" attitude that many people and media outlets have demonstrated against Ms. Sacoolas hardly encourages her to co-operate with any uk based investigations into the incident.
There has also been a lot of misinformation going around in relation to the alleged actions of Ms. Sacoolas prior to and in the immediate aftermath of the fatal crash.
Original post by londonmyst
The hostile, automatic "guilty of some crime" attitude that many people and media outlets have demonstrated against Ms. Sacoolas hardly encourages her to co-operate with any uk based investigations into the incident.
There has also been a lot of misinformation going around in relation to the alleged actions of Ms. Sacoolas prior to and in the immediate aftermath of the fatal crash.

Go on...
Original post by Napp

I like how the lawyers statements emphasise co operation and completely fail to mention she ran away to evade justice. Ofc the big thing is her diplomatic immunity has ended.
It’s one of the most disgusting cases I’ve heard of in a long time. America lectures the rest of the world but it is a country completely devoid of morality.
Original post by 999tigger
I like how the lawyers statements emphasise co operation and completely fail to mention she ran away to evade justice.

But is it factually accurate to claim that she "ran away" or suggest illegal attempt to evade justice?
The media portrayal has not been balanced, with plenty of false allegations suggesting a hit&run incident where the driver broke multiple uk laws.
Failing to stop, not speaking with the police at the incident scene and fleeing the crash to avoid provide her contact info.
The facts are somewhat different.
But is it factually accurate to claim that she "ran away" or suggest illegal attempt to evade justice?
The media portrayal has not been balanced, with plenty of false allegations suggesting a hit&run incident where the driver broke multiple uk laws.
Failing to stop, not speaking with the police at the incident scene and fleeing the crash to avoid provide her contact info.
The facts are somewhat different.

She left the country without informing the police.
Thoose werent the media versions I had read. The incident was on CCTV and the police were in contact with her. She said she would co operate and wasnt going anywhere. She and her whole family left the country within 24 hours of that.
I think your version is not one I have seen described and I have looked at multiple versions of the story. None of them are like what you just said.
What a nice "ally" America is. Murdering British citizens in broad daylight, and using diplomatic immunity to avoid justice.

America is a hegemonic bully who thinks it can get away with anything.
Original post by AngeryPenguin
What a nice "ally" America is. Murdering British citizens in broad daylight, and using diplomatic immunity to avoid justice.

Agreed
Original post by The RAR
Agreed

British citizens have none worst crimes in US including murder and have gone back to Britain and not to be sent to US.
Original post by AngeryPenguin

You have a strange definition of murder.
Original post by Napp

Boom, wrecked
Reply 14

What misinformation exactly? You mean she suddenly decided to go for a sudden holiday? a coincidence?
Original post by mgi
What misinformation exactly? You mean she suddenly decided to go for a sudden holiday? a coincidence?

Misinformation alleging that she committed several crimes whilst in the uk, illegally fled the scene of the crash without speaking to the police and that leaving the country represented yet another crime.
Reply 16
Misinformation alleging that she committed several crimes whilst in the uk, illegally fled the scene of the crash without speaking to the police and that leaving the country represented yet another crime.

The cctv footage shows that she was driving on the wrong side of the road! Last time i checked this would mean that she had broken the law. And her answer was to flee to America the following day after the police spoke to her and had clearly not finished their standard investigation procedures. Does this all sound law abiding to you?
Devastated that she's been found out and might have to face trial...
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by mgi
The cctv footage shows that she was driving on the wrong side of the road! Last time i checked this would mean that she had broken the law. And her answer was to flee to America the following day after the police spoke to her and had clearly not finished their standard investigation procedures. Does this all sound law abiding to you?

When I was a child passenger in cars driven by my parents american friends, quite a few of them drove on the wrong side of the road.
From memory, those stopped by the police were never arrested- only informed of their mistake and the worst mannered occasionally hit with an 'on the spot' fine.
Police did tell a few not to drive in the uk or rent a hire car again.

It's not for me to decide upon whether Ms. Sacoolas intentions or actions were reasonable.
But it is unreasonable for the media & social media users to start spreading inaccurate allegations about her for the purpose of decimating her character and stirring up hostility against her.
Gives the impression of deliberate dishonesty and risks poisoning the jury pool in any civil or criminal case filed against her.
Original post by Napp

But is it justice or revenge? It won't bring him back! I would also like to think the UK would do the same for one of its own were the situation reversed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending