The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why are debates about systems of oppression still dominated by white males?

In a debate surrounding updates to a village's diversity statement, some white males got upset at the following line: “We work to break down systems of oppression.”

[video="youtube;COzVGRhSOuI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COzVGRhSOuI[/video]

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2019/10/09/oak-park-diversity-statement/

Should people who have never experienced oppression be the ones determining how to fix the current system?
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

What you are saying both sexist racist?
Original post by josh75
dont bother replying hes a troll

It just fun to hear how great life in China is and how bad the West is
Reply 3
Original post by AngeryPenguin
In a debate surrounding updates to a village's diversity statement, some white males got upset at the following line: “We work to break down systems of oppression.”

[video="youtube;COzVGRhSOuI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COzVGRhSOuI[/video]

Should people who have never experienced oppression be the ones determining how to fix the current system?

Should a doctor who has never personally had cancer be allowed to treat cancer patients?
Reply 4
Original post by Wōden
Should a doctor who has never personally had cancer be allowed to treat cancer patients?

Should a man be the chief executive officer of the world feminist women's movement?
Original post by looloo2134
It just fun to hear how great life in China is and how bad the West is

That's a total strawman. I have never said life in China is the best in the world, and I don't demonise the West as a terrible place to live.

Since this is a UK forum, I often talk more about Western problems than Chinese issues. And since Hong Kong is talked about a lot recently, I have criticised some biased perspectives on the pro-democracy movement.

That is literally all I've done, and I get labelled a "China shill" for it. People really need to relax and stop trying to see everything as a conspiracy.
Why are debates about systems of oppression still dominated by white males?

In meritocracy, if a certain job is done mainly by Marsians, it means that Marsians have the largest number of people qualified in the area.

Should people who're suffering from brain cancer, be treated only by people who had brain cancer?
More importantly, you don't need to be affected by something to know how to fight it.
IdentityPenguin is at it again.

Nobody has yet asked why a village needs a statement of diversity. Do potential home-buyers have to be vetted to make sure they fill some kind of quota? And given that we are told that "Oak Park has a place for everybody" what is the quota for rapists, murderers, thieves and terrorists? perhaps Oak Park can be persuaded to welcome some returning ISIS members?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 9
That's a total strawman. I have never said life in China is the best in the world, and I don't demonise the West as a terrible place to live.

Since this is a UK forum, I often talk more about Western problems than Chinese issues. And since Hong Kong is talked about a lot recently, I have criticised some biased perspectives on the pro-democracy movement.

That is literally all I've done, and I get labelled a "China shill" for it. People really need to relax and stop trying to see everything as a conspiracy.

It's not a conspiracy.
exactly. straight white males are the least oppressed but have the most to say about oppression. usually the straight while males on TSR are always the ones to deny racism. and call everyone snowflakes.
Original post by mgi
Should a man be the chief executive officer of the world feminist women's movement?

If he is a committed intersectional feminist with personal experiences of being a disabled asylum seeker, who has fled racial and religious persecution plus defines as working class and will be the first in his family to graduate if he decides to study at uni- who are you to discriminate against him? :biggrin:
Original post by londonmyst
If he is a committed intersectional feminist with personal experiences of being a disabled asylum seeker, who has fled racial and religious persecution plus defines as working class and will be the first in his family to graduate if he decides to study at uni- who are you to discriminate against him? :biggrin:

Obviously, a trans FGM victim..

Let me be completely radical and off the wall by suggesting that those who seek to eliminate racism should be colour blind and appoint those who have the best chance of success by virtue of their personal abilities, without regard to how many identity boxes they can tick.

why does everyone love sucking off the term 'white male' like theyre some sort of sub species
How much do you hate white men on a scale from 0-10?
(edited 4 years ago)
if all white men are evil, then all muslims are terrorists. im just using their own logic
Original post by lewis6969
if all white men are evil, then all muslims are terrorists. im just using their own logic

this is coming from somebody who isnt white either
So, basically everyone's going to be absurd and ignore the concept of "skin in the game"... If you don't have skin in the game, if you don't have measurable risk in taking certain decisions, you tend to have poorer risk management because you've not got anything riding on it. In that regard, while white people wanting to help tackle racial inequality, or men wanting to dismantle systemic misogyny, or straight allies wanting to tackle heteronormativity and cissexism are welcome, these groups don't have skin in the game and as such their voices simply don't matter as much, their opinions shouldn't carry as much weight as those who do have personal risk in any changes, while they should be welcome to listen and ask questions, they shouldn't be centered.

But of course the "there are only 36 Hollywood protagonists that look exactly like me, last year there were 37" brigade don't care to listen or appreciate other people's lived experiences
Original post by YaliaV
How much do you hate white men on a scale from 0-10?

0. It is just a straw man that the far-right uses because they get offended when someone challenges their world view.

Latest

Trending

Trending