The Student Room Group

Being denied annual leave, feel I need a break.

I work for the NHS in healthcare and feel like I need a break/to take annual leave but my manager won't let me. The last holiday I took was on 10th August). The team has been struggling there is only me (in my team) based at the hospital and we have been struggling to recruit anyone to work alongside me for months. The thing is it is affecting my annual leave. For example I asked for 2 weeks off in august but was only allowed 1 week because there was no cover.

So I took my 1 week and then requested a week late in october but she said she was unable to authorise it because she couldn't find cover/the only person she could ask (who works elsewhere) had took a month off and was on paternity leave. Later she text me and said she will try to get it off for me as its not my fault etc but then she didn't really follow up on her word. She has to cover for me when I'm off and it is hard work as she has other managerial jobs too. We finally have found a staff member willing to work with us but he doesn't start till the beginning of December so my next break will be mid December.

I was looking at the annual leave calendar and noticed that my manager has given herself a weeks holiday about every 6 weeks and everyone in our trust has been able to have a 2 week holiday over summer. Whereas I was denied it and have to work 4 months straight.

Its just a bit annoying (even others have said that I'm treated differently/that its not my fault theres no cover etc). My colleague pointed out that I'm treated differently. I feel like I need a break, Im not going to complain or anything (I'm just having a moan on here lol) but I won't be very effective/its patient care at stake I'l just plod on going in not giving a **** everyday. Suppose I'm feeling sorry for myself and being immature but I just feel angry.

What else can I do?
Speak to hr. the lack of staff is not your problem.
You are entitled to use your annual leave. Have a read through your contract for the specific terms
Most companies have minimum staffing levels and obviously everyone can’t be off at the same time but if there’s only you then they’ll have to sort something
Just remember that every passing day gets you closer to Christmas! :smile:
I'll still be working but am looking forward the festive season and decorations.
Reply 3
Original post by Sammylou40
Speak to hr. the lack of staff is not your problem.
You are entitled to use your annual leave. Have a read through your contract for the specific terms
Most companies have minimum staffing levels and obviously everyone can’t be off at the same time but if there’s only you then they’ll have to sort something

I can use my annual leave (least I think I can lol) just not till we get cover
Reply 4
Original post by londonmyst
Just remember that every passing day gets you closer to Christmas! :smile:
I'll still be working but am looking forward the festive season and decorations.

Yes I'l bear this in mind thanks! Just counting down lol
Original post by Anonymous
I can use my annual leave (least I think I can lol) just not till we get cover

Ok. Then what you should do is contact hr anyway
explain to them you are wanting to take some leave and you would like to know how long it will be until cover or extra staff can be found.
Theres nothing wrong with a simple enquiry and it may push them into solving the problem. If theres no prospect of it happening any time soon then you need some proper advice, your union rep for example
unfortunately they are legally allowed to deny any specific request as long as you get your leave at some point

I would speak to your manager and just explain you feel very burnt out with no being able to take holidays and while you understand it's tough to find cover you really need her to find a solution before December as you'll struggle to wait that long
Agree with previous poster. They can dictate when you take holidays but they must allow you the time off at some point.
So when does your holiday year end? I’d ask boss in writing when you can take these x days as you legally need to take them by whatever date.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending