The Student Room Group

crushed by college - my yr12 gyg

Scroll to see replies

Original post by prettyalevels
settling in a bit better

overall:
so this week has been easier! i've been a lot less down and miserable, and i finally feel like this college is gonna be good for me.:smile: i've been making more friends, and finally feel comfortable in my classes!

mathematics:
this week in maths we've basically just been doing transformations of graphs, so it's been really chill.

i got my test score back too ! i got 97% - lost one mark because i forgot to do the final step on one of the questions.:tongue: was really happy with this score though, as over 30% of the year apparently got a U in this test.:s-smilie:

my teacher changed up the seating this week, so now i sit with other people. i loved my old table, but the people i sit with now are really nice too and really chatty.:smile: bit distracted from my work, but it's really nice to have some friends to talk to!

further maths:
we've finished complex numbers so now we're moving onto matrices! i'm still really liking fm :biggrin:

i got 97% on this test too! i lost one mark because i missed something in my working out on an 8 marker - made me realise how strict the mark scheme is for a levels!:eek:

also got a seating plan for this class, so it's not as good as before, but the people i sit with are still nice.:redface:

computer science:
i kinda messed up on this test... i got conversions of giga and gibi, kilo and kibi, etc etc mixed up, so i got all the questions to do with conversions wrong! i still got 85% though which was a B, which I'm okay with, especially since i know i wont make the same mistakes again! hoping itll just motivate me to do better in my next tests!:smile:

economics:
a couple people left my class this week. was a bit of a shame, but there's still nice people in my class:tongue:

i got 100% in my test! was actually so surprised! didn't have much confidence in this subject because i'd never done it before, so it really was the boost i needed!

extra stuff:
made a few new friends this week!:biggrin: went to watch a movie one day after school as one of the bus stops is right outside the cinema! i also met up with my high school friends on friday night, which was so nice as i really missed them.:redface: im gonna try to meet up with them a lot more often.

its my friends birthday today so i'm going to his tonight!:smile: i've literally got no work to do atm so i'm gonna make the most of having a lot of free time!

overall i've been a lot happier this week. maybe things are looking up!

tags: ask to be tagged or removed:tongue:

Spoiler

Well done on the amazing test results! glad to hear that college is going well :smile:
a bit of a meh week

maths
this week in maths we've moved on to functions, which is alright so far because it still feels like we're just recapping gcse content. the only real difference is that we're drawing graphs of functions, but it's quite easy too!:smile: i'm finally remembering the basic shapes of all graphs, so that's a positive since we've got another test next week.:tongue:

further maths
atm we're doing matrices, looking at transformations of 2d matrices, then i think we're going onto 3d ones next week. really not liking the new seating plan though:frown: i've got a test for fm too next thurs!

computer science
been going quite nicely this week, and ive been talking to way more people in my class, and they all seem lovely:biggrin: the stuff we're learning in theory still isn't really new content... i love all the coding lessons though, as we barely even got to program in gcses (except for the nea of course!) i think we've got a programming test next week, so i'm interested to see what that's like:smile:

economics
not gonna lie, economics has been a bit boring this week. we just kinda finished a booklet in macro and went over key terms, and in micro we just did weird tasks that didn't really seem relevant to what we were learning. hoping it picks up soon tbh.

bigmouthmaury.png

extra stuff!
more people are joining our young enterprise group, but we haven't really thought of an idea yet! so yea we need to speed up

went to a presentation about dofe gold, but really dunno if i should do it or not.:frown: i enjoyed silver and dofe, but dont know if gold will just be a waste of my time in college.

i got invited to this cambridge he+ program that they do at school, so i attended the launch of that. it sounds pretty cool, we get to participate in an academic competition and visit cambridge sometime this year:smile:

just life sorta stuff
felt really quite lonely this week again. i have friends but sometimes i just feel lonely anyway. its stupid! my plans got cancelled with someone this week, then i couldnt go out with my friends last night because i was busy. i usually wouldn't mind but i've just been having a rough week this week, so i got more sad about it.

i really want to see joker as soon as possible! really hoping ill see it this week. going to see russell howard tonight tho, and im really excited about that!:biggrin:

tags: (ask to be added or removed!)

Spoiler

(edited 4 years ago)
Good luck with the tests next week!

I also totally get the lonely feeling. I felt like that at the start of year 12 last year but it gets better! :hugs:
(edited 4 years ago)
Could I be tagged please. xx
Original post by Fazzy_77
Goofld luck with the tests next week!

I also totally get the lonely feeling. I felt like that at tge start of year 12 last year but it gets better! :hugs:

thank you! it's getting better but it keeps going up and down:redface:

Original post by jemima0103
Could I be tagged please. xx

of course :smile:
ooh tag me please! you have amazing gcses !!:colondollar:
Your gyg looks really interesting! I'd love to be tagged x
Original post by mpaprika
ooh tag me please! you have amazing gcses !!:colondollar:

thank you so much, you're so sweet!
Original post by studyingpeach
Your gyg looks really interesting! I'd love to be tagged x

aw thank you, do you have a gyg too?
tests and parties!

this week has had its ups and downs, but overall it's been fun!

maths
did a test on unit 2, got 97% in it! same score as my unit 1 test...:tongue: nothing like consistency! we've been doing functions, straight lines, and circles recently.:yawn: it's just kinda gcse stuff so it's a bit boring!

further maths
did a test here too, on both complex numbers and matrices. it went well, even though i was freaking out about stupid loci on the argand plane - i think i did get those questions right tho!:tongue: and i remembered to bring my compass:smile:

computer science
made some good friends in my class this week, and finally got out of the small talk stage.:biggrin: they're pretty cool people.

in theory we've been learning about bitmap and vector images, and in theory we're still going over basic programming structures. we had a test in practical, and i think it went really well, so fingers crossed!:woo:

economics
i'm still a bit bored in this subject.:frown: my class is nice and everything, but i feel like it's still sooo slow. starting to regret not taking a science subject.:erm: it's gonna sound nerdy but the most interesting thing we've done so far in economics was last week's test!

extra curricular
i tried out for the maths team but didn't get in.:redface: they were taking 2 people from lower sixth but about 200 people from my year tried out! the test to get into the team was a previous ukmt senior challenge, and we had to see how much we could do of it in 30 mins! it's safe to say i'm not good at timing:biggrin: but apparently everyone who tried out would've got a certificate in the real thing, so that was reassuring! hoping to do well in the real senior challenge.:smile:

social life:eek3:
it's been a fun week! went to the cinema to watch the joker (finallyyy) and it was great!:smile: seeing russell howard last saturday was one of the best things ever, i honestly could not stop laughing all the way through.:laugh:

on friday night i went to a party, but i only knew a couple people going (including the guy hosting). it was such a great night! may have embarrassed myself a bitttt but it was so fun.:biggrin: then yesterday i went to out with a few friends for lunch, but felt totally dead all day. had a great burger tho.:tongue:

Spoiler

(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by casabonita
tests and parties!

this week has had its ups and downs, but overall it's been fun!

maths
did a test on unit 2, got 97% in it! same score as my unit 1 test...:tongue: nothing like consistency! we've been doing functions, straight lines, and circles recently.:yawn: it's just kinda gcse stuff so it's a bit boring!

further maths
did a test here too, on both complex numbers and matrices. it went well, even though i was freaking out about stupid loci on the argand plane - i think i did get those questions right tho!:tongue: and i remembered to bring my compass:smile:

computer science
made some good friends in my class this week, and finally got out of the small talk stage.:biggrin: they're pretty cool people.

in theory we've been learning about bitmap and vector images, and in theory we're still going over basic programming structures. we had a test in practical, and i think it went really well, so fingers crossed!:woo:

economics
i'm still a bit bored in this subject.:frown: my class is nice and everything, but i feel like it's still sooo slow. starting to regret not taking a science subject.:erm: it's gonna sound nerdy but the most interesting thing we've done so far in economics was last week's test!

extra curricular
i tried out for the maths team but didn't get in.:redface: they were taking 2 people from lower sixth but about 200 people from my year tried out! the test to get into the team was a previous ukmt senior challenge, and we had to see how much we could do of it in 30 mins! it's safe to say i'm not good at timing:biggrin: but apparently everyone who tried out would've got a certificate in the real thing, so that was reassuring! hoping to do well in the real senior challenge.:smile:

social life:eek3:
it's been a fun week! went to the cinema to watch the joker (finallyyy) and it was great!:smile: seeing russell howard last saturday was one of the best things ever, i honestly could not stop laughing all the way through.:laugh:

on friday night i went to a party, but i only knew a couple people going (including the guy hosting). it was such a great night! may have embarrassed myself a bitttt but it was so fun.:biggrin: then yesterday i went to out with a few friends for lunch, but felt totally dead all day. had a great burger tho.:tongue:

Spoiler

Well done on the maths test! You're doing great :tongue:

Don't worry, economics should pick up soon.
Well done on the maths test! You're doing great :tongue:

Don't worry, economics should pick up soon.

i really hope so! i really want to enjoy it :smile:
Good luck!
ooh, well done with maths! :woo:
it's a shame you didn't get on the team this year but you'll have a better shot next year :yes:
Original post by gw07mcgheerachel
Good luck!

thank you!
Original post by nyxnko_
ooh, well done with maths! :woo:
it's a shame you didn't get on the team this year but you'll have a better shot next year :yes:

i hope so! gonna practice for the senior challenge that's in november, so hopefully with practice i'll get quicker with questions :smile:
woah you have a ukmt team damn i never realised some people took them so seriously
Original post by mez_merising
woah you have a ukmt team damn i never realised some people took them so seriously

yea they do this team challenge which is separate to the main ukmt test, not sure what the team challenge is actually like tho
first half term over!

only 10 more to go...:wink:

i didn't write a post for the week before the holidays, and i'm struggling to remember what i even did that week!:redface: (so this might be a short post)

got my monthly test results...
maths: unit2 - 97%
fm: complex numbers & matrices - 98%
comp sci: programming - 94% (the mark scheme for coding tests are so weird!:tongue:)
economics: idek what was on this test - 81%

very happy with my test results!:biggrin: however, my whole economics class did find the test quite weird, as it seemed there was a lot of stuff we hadn't been taught! might start the seneca course for it to make sure i'm covering everything.:smile:

one of my lessons were cancelled that week so i loved that.:wink: went out with my friends instead of doing anything productive which was quite a nice end to the half term!

over the holidays i've been away, so have done absolutely nothing productive! really needed a rest though.:tongue: my coll have said that they're gonna ramp up work a lot this half term, especially in the run up to christmas.:tree: so yeaaa that's gonna be fun - i feel so unprepared already!:s-smilie: my teachers have also said that the tests are gonna get a lot harder too... they've definitely been going easy on us!:eek:

i still have 7 pieces of homework to do that they set for us over the half term... it's gonna be a fun sunday!:s-smilie:

tags!: (ask to be added or removed)

Spoiler

Reply 37
hey, i’m a y13 student doing double maths, bio and english lit, and i’d love to added to the tag list :smile:
Amazing results! Well done! :woo:
Original post by gay*
hey, i’m a y13 student doing double maths, bio and english lit, and i’d love to added to the tag list :smile:

love your combo of a levels! how are you finding double maths in upper sixth? and of course :smile:
Amazing results! Well done! :woo:

thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending