The Student Room Group

Do you have body insecurites?- POLL

Poll

Do you have body insecurites?- POLL

I recently came across Jameela jamil`s i_weigh IG and just wondered how bad the problem is. so decided to do a snapshot poll for this. I personally used to suffer, but I got over it years ago. now im fine.

Also,
if no --> how did you get over it?
If yes --> how long have you struggled with it and what bothers you the most?

What helped me was realising the image I had in my head was false, a cartoon. No one fits that picture! So I actually starting mentally (never out loud) pointing out what was "wrong" with every girl compared to that perfect image in my head. E.g. she is blonde, but she has a big ass forehead; she is tall but has a big nose; she is pretty but too big for the industry etc

This helped me because it made me realise that no one is perfect, and I am wasting my time allowing these thoughts to cloud and take up time from the rest of my day. Also, the image is a cartoon that literally no one fits into (even supermodels!)

If you chase after being hot, you`re never going to be satisfied physically. Its impossible. Focus on changing your perception. Worked for me!
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Got a lazy eye which bothers the hell out of me :biggrin:
Original post by David B
Got a lazy eye which bothers the hell out of me :biggrin:

Thats a shame that it bugs you. It sfunny, soo many people have a lazy eye, however its still an insecurity. It is common enough for people to be like "so what. I have a lazy eye. I also have 2 elbows. what difference does it make",
my face is my insecurity and how im a bit fat and how short i am
but i dont care i look decent :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
transgender here. way too many body insecurities
Reply 5
Original post by knightandday
Thats a shame that it bugs you. It sfunny, soo many people have a lazy eye, however its still an insecurity. It is common enough for people to be like "so what. I have a lazy eye. I also have 2 elbows. what difference does it make",

It can get quite bad depending on how much sleep I've had. It's not bad enough where its blocking my vision though.
Original post by Lost_Sereniity
my face is my insecurity and how im a bit fat and how short i am
but i dont care i look decent :smile:

What dont you like about your face?
I kinda feel like at some point, and depending on how widely aviable plastic surgey is, we are all going to end up looking the same :eek::biggrin:
What dont you like about your face?

actually my face doesnt look bad but sometimes i pick out things that make me feel like i need plastic surgery
it what happens when you stare too much at women who's face fits in the golden ratio and do research into face aesthetics
I have pcos which means i have the majority of weight around my midriff (i.e male pattern of fat), this bothers me and pcos also comes with increased hair also in a male pattern so have a lot of hair on the same place which also bothers me
I have an awkward smile. Am short, and look like Micheal Gove.
Original post by Lost_Sereniity
actually my face doesnt look bad but sometimes i pick out things that make me feel like i need plastic surgery
it what happens when you stare too much at women who's face fits in the golden ratio and do research into face aesthetics

But it is soo not real. They airbrush and change their faces to look like that. They cartoon-fy them
Original post by Andrew97

When you smile, youre happy. you shouldnt feel insecure about expressing happiness, bruh.
I am similar in a way, I have an overbite but sometimes I dont care and reveal my widely-sprawled teeth, cos im happy :biggrin:
A psychiatrist once said...

It takes weeks to build up an insecurity and months/years to break it.

How?
Take for instance you a walking down a street, its daytime and you see a bunch of guys hurdled together in a corner. If you have the exact situation, but at 2am in the morning. And I asked that you give me details about the group of guys in the daytime versus at 2am, you will be able to give me more at the 2am. This is because fear at 2am makes you analyse every aspect of the guys in more detail.

The same theory applies to people who are scared of spiders. To me, its an insect with long legs. To someone who is afraid, they stare at it and analyse its pincers, its hairy legs, multiple eyes, long bent legs, speed it moves and stops suddenly, its looking at you etc. This extra information makes it bigger than it actually is and heightens your fear.

Now for body insecurity. You have this image in your head of what tou think you are supposed to look like. The more time you spend in the mirror analysing every detail about yourself, the bigger your features are and are blown out of proportion. Suddenly your big nose looks even bigger the more you look at it. Your height looks even smaller. The more you analyse, the more your brain exaggerates it and the more insecure you feel.
But it is soo not real. They airbrush and change their faces to look like that. They cartoon-fy them

they look plastic and disgusting
i have learnt to love myself for the way i am, despite not being skinny, a bit short and not having a perfect face (because ive compared myself to people who perfect their faces with excessive plastic surgery) . thats why when i hate wearing foundation because i feel like ive put a coat of plastic on my face and just appreciate the way i look and lets be honest, i look fine.

@The Cactus wants to **** Michael Gove? :lolwut:
Original post by Glaz
@The Cactus wants to **** Michael Gove? :lolwut:

If the starred word is murder or punch, then yes.
I want a nose job. My nose has a big bump in it and doesn't go down the middle of my face.

I want the bump taking out and my septum made straight.

Everyone I know always says "noonooo don't do it" but when I have the money I will. It will make me look better. I know I don't look bad, I must be attractive because of the attention I get. But I want it for me, and so I have a nicer profile.
Original post by OddOnes
I want a nose job. My nose has a big bump in it and doesn't go down the middle of my face.

I want the bump taking out and my septum made straight.

Everyone I know always says "noonooo don't do it" but when I have the money I will. It will make me look better. I know I don't look bad, I must be attractive because of the attention I get. But I want it for me, and so I have a nicer profile.

I think that sounds completely fair enough
If the starred word is murder or punch, then yes.

4 stars, not 6 or 5 :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest