The Student Room Group

Urgent chemistry help

Can someone tell me how you would write the structural formula of 1,3 dinitrobenzene?
I have currently written it as NO2C6H4NO2-is it right?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by THALCEDONY
Can someone tell me how you would write the structural formula of 1,3 dinitrobenzene?

Draw benzene, then add a nitro group at positions 1 and 3.
Reply 2
Original post by Mr Wednesday
Draw benzene, then add a nitro group at positions 1 and 3.

Surely they mean use letters like c6h5?
Reply 3
Bump^
Surely they mean use letters like c6h5?

Perhaps, its not particularly clear from the question as "structure" suggests a drawing, but being able to draw the structure then kind of nails the problem for them as its simple to go from that to a "parts list" and remember to lose a couple of hydrogens on the way as the nitro groups get substituted on. This is after all "study help", not "homework solving machine" :smile:.
Reply 5
Perhaps, its not particularly clear from the question as "structure" suggests a drawing, but being able to draw the structure then kind of nails the problem for them as its simple to go from that to a "parts list" and remember to lose a couple of hydrogens on the way as the nitro groups get substituted on. This is after all "study help", not "homework solving machine" :smile:.

As mentioned above I have written it down as NO2C6H4NO2 I'm just not sure whether its correct or not.
(edited 4 years ago)
As mentioned above I have written it down as NO2C6H5NO2 I'm just not sure whether its correct or not.

You may be a bit hydrogen rich there, each nitro group kicks of a H as it goes on so the "core" is C6H4.
Reply 7
You may be a bit hydrogen rich there, each nitro group kicks of a H as it goes on so the "core" is C6H4.

Oh right thanks.

Ah, the OP just added an edit with the chemical formula, looks fine to me OP, but I suggest you draw the structure as well. Were you given any guidance on whether to include any info on the isomerism ? The drawing really nails that for you.

Quick Reply

Latest