The Student Room Group
Students on campus Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham
Visit website

How good of a uni is Nottingham Trent?

Hi, does anyone go there or knows anyone who goes there?
How is Nottingham Trent as a uni, and how is the city??
Hi there Harrisn,

Sorry to see you haven't had any replies yet - hopefully I can help to bump the post for you and you'll get some replies from current students at Nottingham Trent. In the meantime, have you considered looking at websites such as Which Uni, What Uni, UniStats and The Complete University Guide? They may offer some further information about student satisfaction and info about the course(s) you're looking into (from current and past students) if no one else replies here!

What is it that you're looking to study?

Hope this helps,
Harriet :smile:
Third Year Photography Student and Student Ambassador
(edited 4 years ago)
Students on campus Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham
Visit website
My friend just started and loves it, it’s actually pretty highly rated in the league tables, I think certainly in one of them it’s well above the uni of notts. I think it’s got quite a good nightlife, but I’d suggest if you haven’t been you should go and visit and see if it suits you
It’s not Russel Group as I’m sure you know. Trent is well regarded and has risen in the university league tables recently. What are you thinking of studying? That might be a better way to decide whether to apply. Some courses are well regarded by industry and graduates are in demand because they’ll have skills needed by employers (some courses are set up around the very specific needs of an industry) , but other courses like geography and biology are general subjects studied everywhere and so the better the university the better and more attractive you degree will be. So, Consider what you want to do with your degree when you get it.
(edited 4 years ago)
It isn't well regarded prestige/rep wise, but it's one of the least bad 'not so great' unis
I got to University of Nottingham (aka the higher ranked one) and staff at my uni have admitted that Trent actually does some things better than Uni Of!

They say too much focus is being out on the fact the Uni isn’t one of the RG unis. Trent has excellent facilities but people are blinded by league table positions alone.

I’ve lived in Nottingham all my life (22 years), the student night life is great!

My best advice is go for a visit to the city and an open day at Trent :smile:
Original post by Patagonia
It isn't well regarded prestige/rep wise, but it's one of the least bad 'not so great' unis

You say that... I go to Uni Of and our lecturers have admitted Trent actually beats UoN in some aspects.

Is your conclusion purely off league table positions and the opinion of TSRians or do you have other sources?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Harrisn
Hi, does anyone go there or knows anyone who goes there?
How is Nottingham Trent as a uni, and how is the city??

Depends what you want...

I think the city is very good, mix of things to do (lots of nightlife options). Fairly cheap for students, but their are a few cheaper options further north.

I would say what do you wan to do after uni, if you are interested in the more vocational career paths its very good.

Research or certain careers such as finance, tech, IP, corp-law etc. I probably would say you would struggle to get your foot in the door at Trent.
Reply 8
Original post by mnot
Depends what you want...

I think the city is very good, mix of things to do (lots of nightlife options). Fairly cheap for students, but their are a few cheaper options further north.

I would say what do you wan to do after uni, if you are interested in the more vocational career paths its very good.

Research or certain careers such as finance, tech, IP, corp-law etc. I probably would say you would struggle to get your foot in the door at Trent.

I would like to go in to the finance field, will Trent hinder my chances of gaining a substantial salary?
Original post by Harrisn
I would like to go in to the finance field, will Trent hinder my chances of gaining a substantial salary?

It depends,

if you want to go into a large company grad scheme where you start on like £26K on build up from there, Trent should be fine.

If you want to go into private equity, IB, trading, asset-management, large transactions, merchant banking, big-4 realistically its gunna be very unlikely. You will need top A-levels for these like AAAish (lots of grad schemes will ask for this, or expect it on your CV). Its not impossible, and if you stack insight days, spring weeks, internships on your CV you'll give yourself a chance but realistically most of these jobs go to targets: Oxbridge, Imperial, UCL, LSE & semi-targets: Bath, Warwick, Durham, Notts (uni of), KCL, Bristol... There are so many people trying to break into these areas, this is the unfortunate reality.

If you go to a big MBA school, you have a much much better shot, but entry for those programs is also super competitive.
Reply 10
Original post by mnot
It depends,

if you want to go into a large company grad scheme where you start on like £26K on build up from there, Trent should be fine.

If you want to go into private equity, IB, trading, asset-management, large transactions, merchant banking, big-4 realistically its gunna be very unlikely. You will need top A-levels for these like AAAish (lots of grad schemes will ask for this, or expect it on your CV). Its not impossible, and if you stack insight days, spring weeks, internships on your CV you'll give yourself a chance but realistically most of these jobs go to targets: Oxbridge, Imperial, UCL, LSE & semi-targets: Bath, Warwick, Durham, Notts (uni of), KCL, Bristol... There are so many people trying to break into these areas, this is the unfortunate reality.

If you go to a big MBA school, you have a much much better shot, but entry for those programs is also super competitive.

Yeah the reason I am looking at Nottingham Trent University is because of the top unis asking for a grade 6 in Maths; whereas I have a grade 5. Do I take a year out and resit GCSE higher maths or do I carry on my education the way it is and secure the highest a level grades possible and go on from there. I am currently really stuck on this matter and I do not know what to do.
Original post by Harrisn
Yeah the reason I am looking at Nottingham Trent University is because of the top unis asking for a grade 6 in Maths; whereas I have a grade 5. Do I take a year out and resit GCSE higher maths or do I carry on my education the way it is and secure the highest a level grades possible and go on from there. I am currently really stuck on this matter and I do not know what to do.

Its hard to say, I think if you are planning on doing say economics at Uni youll also need Maths A-level, and I think if your not getting an 8-9 at GCSE you may really struggle to get an A/A* at A-level (which will be required to go to a target uni)

I wouldn't jump into a resit, but maybe go see a proper careers advisor, maybe also come up with a plan B, and C.
I would say you might be better off going to what Uni you get into, then do everything possible to get your foot in the door, insight days, spring weeks etc...
Accept that realistically you may not get an opportunity but do everything in your path to enable it. But with a plan B you have other opportunities.
Reply 12
Original post by mnot
Its hard to say, I think if you are planning on doing say economics at Uni youll also need Maths A-level, and I think if your not getting an 8-9 at GCSE you may really struggle to get an A/A* at A-level (which will be required to go to a target uni)

I wouldn't jump into a resit, but maybe go see a proper careers advisor, maybe also come up with a plan B, and C.
I would say you might be better off going to what Uni you get into, then do everything possible to get your foot in the door, insight days, spring weeks etc...
Accept that realistically you may not get an opportunity but do everything in your path to enable it. But with a plan B you have other opportunities.

Yeah, sounds right what would I ask the careers advisor?
Every half-decent uni has people who can teach you more than you (or I) can probably comprehend.
Sometimes things that have nothing to do with the uni itself can have a much greater impact on your career than a position in the league tables or prestige.

And if you don't know how to guide your career, don't have the proper mindset, and don't know how to talk to HR, no uni prestige can grant you a career or even a job.
Original post by Harrisn
Yeah, sounds right what would I ask the careers advisor?

Normally at a school/ 6-form (however these advisors knowledge is variable).

Ideally a family friend or someone you know who has worked in finance or boardrooms etc. although it can be very hard to find these people so might need to be like a 3rd cousin or something.

If not you could always try linkedin, but you will need to do background research and lots of people will ignore you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending