The Student Room Group

What do students living at home going to University pay?

Hi, struggling with what to pay my mum when living at home going to the local university. I have a maintenance loan.

She is asking £200 rent off me which doesn't go towards bills as my brother who is 24 covers the cost of the rent which is £400 and my other sister living at home and going to university also pays £200. That being said, me and my sister do absolutely everything at home; chores, animal care and cooking. She has enough benefits to cover the costs of the house and she has nothing else to pay for.

I'm paying for my own food, on top i pay for groceries here and there and supplies for the family pets, which she wont pay for their needs.

I often stay at my boyfriends twice a week, as I work at a pub where he works and as he lives close and we finish late, I will just stay there.
I only have contracted hours of 5 hours a week at the pub so I can gain experience and extra money on the side.

I feel like paying £200 when its going straight into her pocket and not contributing towards the house or bills, is pretty steep. I have discussed with my sister that we should not be paying as much for what we do. We even share a tiny bedroom together. My brother has his own room.

She often controls what i do and is very nasty at times, will be really toxic and horrible. She wont do any chores and works 6 hours a day every day for 5 days. She blames having to work on me and my sister because we both decided to progress our education further and she lost out on some benefits.

Is anyone in a similar situation? I need the money for myself as ive gone without for years as my mum has failed to provide for me... and my sister has had to a number of times.

Any advice would be great.. talking to her proved useless, i have no other family to turn to and have applied for council housing in my area, waiting to be put on a list because of her constant bullying.
200 a month isn't that bad tbh.
just help your mum out the same way she helped you out when you were younger.
Reply 2
Original post by unaManzana
200 a month isn't that bad tbh.
just help your mum out the same way she helped you out when you were younger.

I also failed to mention that she was hardly there for me when I was younger and the last 10 years she hasnt provided for me or cared much about me and my sister. She has threatened to move into a one bedroom flat so me and my siblings would be forced out of the house. She has also stated before that she would happily adopt a child if it meant she stayed on benefits..
As much as it sucks, your 2 options are: 1. talk to her about it (sounds like you have and she's putting her foot down so on to option 2) 2. Move out. Sadly as long as you're under her roof she can ask for whatever she wants. The most frustrating part of all of it that she doesn't realise or maybe doesn't care about is that all this does is create long term resentment. She's sacrificing long term family relations for a small short term financial gain. Which is pretty pathetic for sure. But yeah, you don't have any other choices really. Gotta negotiate as much as possible or suck it up and slowly hate your mum more and more or move out. Sorry, that super sucks.
I live at home and don’t pay anything 😬
Original post by OR321
I live at home and don’t pay anything 😬

Lucky bugger hahaha
Original post by JohnWilliamson
Lucky bugger hahaha

Do you live at home too???
Original post by OR321
Do you live at home too???

Yeah, and I pay £50 a week that has to come out of income not savings. Although I did have a year after high school of living at home rent free to give me time to figure things out. That was largely agreed on as a reward for getting good grades tho
Original post by JohnWilliamson
Yeah, and I pay £50 a week that has to come out of income not savings. Although I did have a year after high school of living at home rent free to give me time to figure things out. That was largely agreed on as a reward for getting good grades tho

Ahhh, that’s decent I guess

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending