The Student Room Group

Highly Quantitative Degree

Hi.

I currently have a deferred place at a top 10 UK university to study Accounting and Finance and I will be 21 (mature student) when my course commences.

I originally studied Maths, Biology and Chemistry at A-level for almost the full two years however, I went off sick due to my mental health. I have since completed an access course in science which was how I gained my university place.

As for my career aspirations - I do not know. However, what I do know is that I would like to work with numbers in a highly quantitative field. I’m not 100% happy with my choice of accounting, though I am limited to what I can study due to my lack of a formal level 3 qualification in maths. Unfortunately, there seems to be no alternative to an A-level for maths. I think Economics would be more interesting but due to the above it would not be feasible. I also think Economics would open more doors than a degree in Accounting and Finance.

Any advise regarding course choice or suggestions with respect to obtaining a level 3 qualification in Maths by end of this academic year would be highly appreciated. Also, would there be any benefit to studying Finance oppose to Accounting and Finance? Thank you.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Why do you have to get the qualification by the end of this academic year? How were you getting on with maths A level before dropping out? Are you still able to apply for foundation years?
Reply 2
Original post by ajj2000
Why do you have to get the qualification by the end of this academic year? How were you getting on with maths A level before dropping out? Are you still able to apply for foundation years?

I want to start university in 2020 and not postpone any longer. I got an A in my AS and was highlighted as ‘gifted and able’ by my tutor, but I couldn’t concentrate towards the end of A2 but that was due to my mental health. I looked at foundation years at Durham and Loughborough but it would mean I must reject my deferred place at another top 10 university in order to apply through UCAS again and risk having no place.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by BigGrump
I want to start university in 2020 and not postpone any longer. I got an A in my AS and was highlighted as ‘gifted and able’ by my tutor, but I couldn’t concentrate towards the end of A2 but that was due to my mental health. I looked at foundation years at Durham and Loughborough but it would mean I must reject my place at another top 10 university and risk having no place.

Which degrees at Durham and Loughborough?

I'll have a think and write more later. My initial thoughts are that unless you HAVE to start in 2020 - as opposed to merely wanting to - you don't really risk much. I suspect that if you could get a place on one application you would on the next (please note this is not true of all courses - I wouldn't say the same for medical degrees or competitive economics courses).

My initial thought would be to study A level maths and aim to sit it this summer. You might avoid foundation years and open up a whole range of courses.
Reply 4
Original post by ajj2000
Which degrees at Durham and Loughborough?

I'll have a think and write more later. My initial thoughts are that unless you HAVE to start in 2020 - as opposed to merely wanting to - you don't really risk much. I suspect that if you could get a place on one application you would on the next (please note this is not true of all courses - I wouldn't say the same for medical degrees or competitive economics courses).

My initial thought would be to study A level maths and aim to sit it this summer. You might avoid foundation years and open up a whole range of courses.

Economics with Foundation year. I also want to opportunity to make friends (something that I struggle with currently) and to get away from issues at home, this is why I’m determined to start in 2020, as these problems do get me down. Overall, I want a better life for myself and I will feel so much better knowing that I am at University working on it.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 5
I may be wrong but being at a top 10 university is not such a big thing for accounting.
What matters is you are accredited and not all universities do the accreditation.
So for some degrees a fancy university is great but not always.
Reply 6
Economics with Foundation year. I also want to opportunity to make friends (something that I struggle with currently) and to get away from issues at home, this is why I’m determined to start in 2020, as these problems do get me down. Overall, I want a better life for myself and I will feel so much better knowing that I am at University working on it.

So long as you get a decent sized loan I think foundation years could be great. Where I would look if I were you is to make sure that you are doing an appropriate degree to get into 'highly quantitative' careers. I don't believe that A+F is a particularly strong foundation for this - you need a strong quantitative degree. Economics could be a great subject but if you have the chance its would be better to go to one with the right sort of syllabus for your objectives.
Reply 7
Original post by ajj2000
So long as you get a decent sized loan I think foundation years could be great. Where I would look if I were you is to make sure that you are doing an appropriate degree to get into 'highly quantitative' careers. I don't believe that A+F is a particularly strong foundation for this - you need a strong quantitative degree. Economics could be a great subject but if you have the chance its would be better to go to one with the right sort of syllabus for your objectives.

Is there any particular degree that you suggest?
Reply 8
Original post by adam277
I may be wrong but being at a top 10 university is not such a big thing for accounting.
What matters is you are accredited and not all universities do the accreditation.
So for some degrees a fancy university is great but not always.

It’s accredited by ICAEW, ACCA, CIMA, ICAS and CPA Australia. Though I am not sure how many exemptions I will get compared with other Universities.
Reply 9
Is there any particular degree that you suggest?

Economics should be fine - but you probably want to start off by aiming at courses which require A level maths from (non foundation year) students and generally require a grade A. They will teach the sort of skills which you can use after graduation.

Alternatively maths/ stats type degrees, MORS/ MORSE (check the Southampton course if that appeals, I think they have a foundation year route but don't mention it much on the website), physics, engineering etc.
It’s accredited by ICAEW, ACCA, CIMA, ICAS and CPA Australia. Though I am not sure how many exemptions I will get compared with other Universities.

which university? Interestingly, more traditional universities tend to give fewer exemptions than others.
Reply 11
Original post by ajj2000
Economics should be fine - but you probably want to start off by aiming at courses which require A level maths from (non foundation year) students and generally require a grade A. They will teach the sort of skills which you can use after graduation.

Alternatively maths/ stats type degrees, MORS/ MORSE (check the Southampton course if that appeals, I think they have a foundation year route but don't mention it much on the website), physics, engineering etc.

Lancaster offer Financial Mathematics, though I’m unsure how I’ll be able to meet the required A in maths - they don’t offer foundation years.
Reply 12
Original post by ajj2000
which university? Interestingly, more traditional universities tend to give fewer exemptions than others.

Lancaster
Lancaster

Looks like you can get 6 exemptions (not huge but very nice to have) for ACCA. Heard its a great course.
Reply 14
Original post by ajj2000
Looks like you can get 6 exemptions (not huge but very nice to have) for ACCA. Heard its a great course.

How does it compare to other unis?
How does it compare to other unis?

I remember from a year or so ago. Generally the more established universities (Manchester, Warwick etc) gave around that level. Newer universities offer up to 9 - which is the maximum. I think some courses at higher ranking places are moving towards covering more exemptions - my guess being to appeal to the far eastern market.
Lancaster offer Financial Mathematics, though I’m unsure how I’ll be able to meet the required A in maths - they don’t offer foundation years.

Any chance of sitting the A level privately?
Reply 18
Original post by ajj2000
Any chance of sitting the A level privately?

I looked into it, I wouldn’t get funding and I can’t afford it without funding.
I looked into it, I wouldn’t get funding and I can’t afford it without funding.

How much does the exam cost? Is there a local school where you could sit it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending