The Student Room Group

SFE

Hello ,

Just need an advise in case someone been in similar situation , I could probably phone SFE but I'm considering next years intake if work wise nothing pops up.

So I went to university on a distant learning course back in 2014 , I have finished it in 2017 but due to ''Arden University'' lost my withdrawal twice I end up being removed from the course in 2018 - my actual transcript states I have been on the course all the way through 2018.
Whilst withdrawing I have been given 100 ECTS , and my current outstanding finance is around 8-9k. The reason I left was due to lack of potential for the degree I was studying , when I enrolled Arden was called RDI and they were some sort of enterprise for ARU so my exit award is actually from ARU.
The subject of my degree was Business , to this time I end up leaving my previous job and now I work as Plant engineer making 40k a year without formal qualifications but I don't want to work in factories for the rest of my life.
So on the paper I haven't attained my first degree yet - I currently hold HNC plus I did one unit for HND before i left.
What would be my chances to get funding + maintenance for lets say 2-3 years? And maybe find a university which let me join on different subject from Year 2. I have read ELQ , but that didn't anwer my questions properly. I'm 30 years of age if that matters.

Thanks to anyone who will take time to answer my questions.
(edited 4 years ago)
Because of your previous study you would only get a tuition fee loan for 3rd year onwards of a new full time degree.

If you studied part time then you should still get funding (tuition and living costs) if you studied at a brick university. If you switched to OU then you can only get tuition fees (but OU are most likely to accept your existing credits as counting towards a new degree).

Look into your local universities to see if they offer part time study. If they do then talk to them about whether they’ll consider you for advanced entry based on your CertHE.
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Because of your previous study you would only get a tuition fee loan for 3rd year onwards of a new full time degree.

If you studied part time then you should still get funding (tuition and living costs) if you studied at a brick university. If you switched to OU then you can only get tuition fees (but OU are most likely to accept your existing credits as counting towards a new degree).

Look into your local universities to see if they offer part time study. If they do then talk to them about whether they’ll consider you for advanced entry based on your CertHE.

Oh yeah should have mentioned originally that my original course was part-time.
My only concern was that if I were to return to any uni , I would like to go full-time.
Original post by i feed cat
Oh yeah should have mentioned originally that my original course was part-time.
My only concern was that if I were to return to any uni , I would like to go full-time.

Unfortunately the funding system isn’t set up to allow switches from part time to full time. You would get no tuition fee loan for years 1 and 2 of any new degree. If you can afford to self fund your tuition fees for a year or two then speak to universities about their courses and whether they will consider you for second year entry.
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
Unfortunately the funding system isn’t set up to allow switches from part time to full time. You would get no tuition fee loan for years 1 and 2 of any new degree. If you can afford to self fund your tuition fees for a year or two then speak to universities about their courses and whether they will consider you for second year entry.

There are 2 agencies that I know of that specifically target students who speak Russian, their adviser was kinda confident I will get full funding from Year 2 on-wards but reading the ELQ kinda raised certain concerns for me. They gave me some list of courses with different subjects that I can get into Year 2.
I was originally from one of EU countries and was raised through foster care , and Social Care was in that list so its something I would consider studying due to I know the system as someone who went through it as an individual.
(edited 4 years ago)
ELQ would only be an issue if you were applying to HNC courses and not degrees. A CertHE is not equivalent to a degree.

To be frank I would steer well clear of these agencies. They’re offering bad advice.
Reply 6
Original post by PQ
ELQ would only be an issue if you were applying to HNC courses and not degrees. A CertHE is not equivalent to a degree.

To be frank I would steer well clear of these agencies. They’re offering bad advice.

https://www.gagarin-education.com/

Hopefully links are fine , this is one of the most common ones - people have actually used them. I'm not sure how they generate money , I assume they get bonus from unis for enrolling people.
Original post by i feed cat
https://www.gagarin-education.com/

Hopefully links are fine , this is one of the most common ones - people have actually used them. I'm not sure how they generate money , I assume they get bonus from unis for enrolling people.

That’s right. They get commission from universities. Which means that they push the universities that pay then the most even if it’s the wrong choice

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending