The Student Room Group

Personal Statements :/

I'm trying to write my personal statement but really struggling on how i can start it, can anyone help me out plz :smile:
Reply 1
What course are you applying for and where? Is the unis that you're applying for really competitive (Russel group)?
Reply 2
I sent you a message not sure if you got it
Original post by Maz_g1x
I'm trying to write my personal statement but really struggling on how i can start it, can anyone help me out plz :smile:

Please don’t send your PS to strangers online.

What you need to include depends on what subject you want to study.

The best thing is not to start at the beginning. Just start listing things you want to include and don’t worry about turning it into sentences or paragraphs until you’ve got some more content.
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
Please don’t send your PS to strangers online.

What you need to include depends on what subject you want to study.

The best thing is not to start at the beginning. Just start listing things you want to include and don’t worry about turning it into sentences or paragraphs until you’ve got some more content.

Yeah I’ve written down all my skills and achievements I want to include. But I don’t know how to put it all together so it sounds okay. I read online that if the beginning of your PS isn’t interesting they don’t read on, so it’s really stressing me out 🥴
Original post by Maz_g1x
Yeah I’ve written down all my skills and achievements I want to include. But I don’t know how to put it all together so it sounds okay. I read online that if the beginning of your PS isn’t interesting they don’t read on, so it’s really stressing me out 🥴

What subject are you applying for?

the PS rarely makes any difference at all to your chances of getting an offer. Your introduction doesn't need to be any more flashy than "I want to study x because y".
Original post by Maz_g1x

To be honest, that's only true for some courses. You've not said where you plan to apply so it's hard to give sound advice. There can be a big difference as to how much your PS contributes to your application depending on your course. I study music at a pretty brilliant institution right now and my PS mattered less because it was audition based. This is only my experience but I assume it would be the same for similar courses. But that being said, please don't write this off as unimportant. It's not, it can contribute so much to an otherwise weak academic application if done properly.

Spoiler

I would suggest talking to your tutors or teachers about writing a personal statement. They probably have lots of resources for you that have helped other students like you in the past. I would not advise you send your personal statement to people online, as lots of universities are known to check for plagarism. Go on YouTube when you have some spare time, and look up BBC3's "Degrees For Sale" Documentary. Lots of students are becoming victim for such scams and the same could happen to you with your PS. With something so crucial, you don't wanna chance it. Good luck.
Reply 7
Original post by PQ
What subject are you applying for?

the PS rarely makes any difference at all to your chances of getting an offer. Your introduction doesn't need to be any more flashy than "I want to study x because y".

I want to apply for an events management course.
Also that was what I was going to start my PS with before I read online that I shouldn’t start it like that because it’s too common.
Reply 8
Original post by TeeCup_
To be honest, that's only true for some courses. You've not said where you plan to apply so it's hard to give sound advice. There can be a big difference as to how much your PS contributes to your application depending on your course. I study music at a pretty brilliant institution right now and my PS mattered less because it was audition based. This is only my experience but I assume it would be the same for similar courses. But that being said, please don't write this off as unimportant. It's not, it can contribute so much to an otherwise weak academic application if done properly.

Spoiler

I would suggest talking to your tutors or teachers about writing a personal statement. They probably have lots of resources for you that have helped other students like you in the past. I would not advise you send your personal statement to people online, as lots of universities are known to check for plagarism. Go on YouTube when you have some spare time, and look up BBC3's "Degrees For Sale" Documentary. Lots of students are becoming victim for such scams and the same could happen to you with your PS. With something so crucial, you don't wanna chance it. Good luck.

Thank you so much for your advice! It’s helped me a lot :smile:
Original post by Maz_g1x
I want to apply for an events management course.
Also that was what I was going to start my PS with before I read online that I shouldn’t start it like that because it’s too common.

Anyone trying to stress you out about your introduction is just being mean.

Common isn’t a problem - it’s not your flashy choice of phrases that makes your PS personal, it’s the details that are based on your personal experiences and interests.

As long as you don’t write a nursing PS for events management then you’ll be fine :smile: the PS isn’t that important for degrees like event management.
Reply 10
Aha I will definitely not do that 😂
So what is the most important for an events management degree?
Original post by Maz_g1x
Aha I will definitely not do that 😂
So what is the most important for an events management degree?

Demonstrating that you understand what the course involves, some understanding of the industry and career paths and if possible some examples of events that you’ve helped with (even just stewarding).
Reply 12
Oh okay thank youuu

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending