The Student Room Group

Let’s study, honey!

Grow Your Grades.jpg

Hello, everyone!

I'm QueenAelin, and after two years of lurking in the GYG forums and appreciating it all from afar, I’ve finally decided to create my own little paradise in this corner of the internet! :angel:

I’m a bit of an… unconventional entry. :blush: I left mainstream education at the age of 14 after being diagnosed with multiple chronic illnesses. Unfortunately, the pain and overall fatigue got too much for me to thrive in a traditional school environment. Thankfully, after over a year of floundering, a wonderful tuition service took me on partway through year 12. I managed to attain four GCSEs (I know that doesn’t sound like a lot, but at the time it felt like the biggest accomplishment of my life! Success is always relative :thumbsup:), but there wasn’t enough funding for me to continue on to A-levels, and I wasn’t sure if I could do them either. :sigh: Now, I’m feeling as if I’m ready to move forward with my educational journey! I’m terrified, but I’m hoping GYG can motivate me to do my absolute best at staying motivated and focused on my studies.

There’s not a lot of people with chronic illness on this forum, nor people over the age of 16 doing GCSEs, so I hope I can offer a unique perspective on this aspect of academic life! If anyone has any questions about mature studies, don’t be afraid to send me a message. I’m always happy to help! :hugs:

So, let's jump into the interesting stuff! :h::h:

GCSEs

Spoiler

The Subjects I'm Taking

Spoiler

Goals For This Year

Spoiler

Post-GCSE Plans

Spoiler

My Interests

Spoiler

I can’t believe I’ve actually set this up! :grin: I hope everyone is enjoying GYG so far this year, and I hope we all achieve the goals we’ve set out for ourselves!

(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'll be following your GYG:h:
Reply 2
Original post by hope2002
I'll be following your GYG:h:

Thank you! :h: I've just looked over your GYG thread and I'm excited for your next post, especially as we're both doing science subjects!
hi! Also want to learn french and just want to ask, what resources have you used/are using? Good luck with everything x
Reply 4
Original post by SashaSummer
hi! Also want to learn french and just want to ask, what resources have you used/are using? Good luck with everything x

Hi, it's so nice to meet someone else who's also interested in French! The book I use the most is Easy French Step-by-Step by Myrna Bell Rochester. It's been fantastic at giving me a solid grounding in grammar basics and it makes everything so easy to understand! :h: I also use Mastering French Vocabulary by Wolfgang von Fischer and Anne-Marie Le Plouhinec. It has a ridiculous amount of vocabulary words and they're all grouped and presented by themes, e.g. business terms, medical terms, household terms, etc. I've set myself a goal of learning 10 vocabulary words a day and it's going great so far!

I'm also a big advocate of Duolingo and their flashcard app, Tinycards. These two are pretty much a must for any language learner these days! It makes language learning feel fun instead of like a chore.:^_^: If you're into podcasts, Coffee Break French and News in Slow French are also really great!
Original post by QueenAelin
Hi, it's so nice to meet someone else who's also interested in French! The book I use the most is Easy French Step-by-Step by Myrna Bell Rochester. It's been fantastic at giving me a solid grounding in grammar basics and it makes everything so easy to understand! :h: I also use Mastering French Vocabulary by Wolfgang von Fischer and Anne-Marie Le Plouhinec. It has a ridiculous amount of vocabulary words and they're all grouped and presented by themes, e.g. business terms, medical terms, household terms, etc. I've set myself a goal of learning 10 vocabulary words a day and it's going great so far!

I'm also a big advocate of Duolingo and their flashcard app, Tinycards. These two are pretty much a must for any language learner these days! It makes language learning feel fun instead of like a chore.:^_^: If you're into podcasts, Coffee Break French and News in Slow French are also really great!

Thank you! It's a beautiful language, shame I didn't take it at A level but this is my chance now.
Reply 6
OH MY GOD I watched Call Me By Your Name for the first time last night and it's my new favourite movie:yeah: My heart skipped a beat when I saw that picture of the book. I've heard the book is even better than the movie:eek:
Reply 7
OH MY GOD I watched Call Me By Your Name for the first time last night and it's my new favourite movie:yeah: My heart skipped a beat when I saw that picture of the book. I've heard the book is even better than the movie:eek:

I watched the movie last Wednesday and loved it too! :heart: I've read the first 30 pages and it's really, really good! If you enjoyed the movie, I bet you'll enjoy the book :h:
I'll be following this GYG! :woo:
Reply 9
Original post by emilynxlan
I'll be following this GYG! :woo:

Thank you! I know I'm a little bit late to the party, but I just read through your GYG thread and I'd love to be added to your tag list! Your blog layout is so vibrant and engaging! :h:
I watched the movie last Wednesday and loved it too! :heart: I've read the first 30 pages and it's really, really good! If you enjoyed the movie, I bet you'll enjoy the book :h:

I'll defo give it a read:biggrin: I looked it up and apparently a sequel is being released in a couple weeks as well, for the book:eek:
Thank you! I know I'm a little bit late to the party, but I just read through your GYG thread and I'd love to be added to your tag list! Your blog layout is so vibrant and engaging! :h:

1. Better late than never
2. Thank you!! <3
3. I'll add you to the tag list now
This post is just to add this to my watched.
Also, is your name from the SJM books?
Ahhhh!! We have so much in common. I’ll be following this GYG If you’d like any French resources, I study it at A-Level and I’d be happy to send some over!!
I'll defo give it a read:biggrin: I looked it up and apparently a sequel is being released in a couple weeks as well, for the book:eek:

I know! I'm so glad I picked up the book now so I can just jump straight into the sequel! :h:
Original post by laura10203
This post is just to add this to my watched.
Also, is your name from the SJM books?

It is! Throne of Glass is my favourite book series! :heart:
Original post by atla1215
Ahhhh!! We have so much in common. I’ll be following this GYG If you’d like any French resources, I study it at A-Level and I’d be happy to send some over!!

Thank you! I'm really in need of French resources, so I'll take anything you can send my way! :h:
i also have 4 gcses and one AS. but neither of them are A*s so congrats!!!

tag me if you can pls
It is! Throne of Glass is my favourite book series! :heart:

I knew I recognised the name. Personally, I prefer the Court of Thorns and Roses series but I loved the Throne Of Glass series as well.
I'm glad to see another SJM fan on here.❤️
Good luck with your studying 🍀🍀🍀
Original post by laura10203
I knew I recognised the name. Personally, I prefer the Court of Thorns and Roses series but I loved the Throne Of Glass series as well.
I'm glad to see another SJM fan on here.❤️
Good luck with your studying 🍀🍀🍀

ACOTAR is a great series! I just love Rowan a bit too much, which is why TOG wins out :laugh: I'm also really looking forward to her new book coming out in 2020! Good luck with your studying too :crossedf:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending