The Student Room Group

Universities opinion on resits?

Does anyone know how universities view resits on an application? I got AAB (1 mark off an A in politics so I’m retaking) and I’m reapplying with a predicted A* in my retake and AA in my other 2 a levels. I know some universities like Glasgow ask for A level results in one sitting, but my head of year has told me that I’m in a better position for offers because I’ve got 2 confirmed A grades and I’m predicted an A*. But I’m worried they wont like the fact I’m retaking or will just ignore what I’m predicted an look at my achieved grade instead :/
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Losenzon99
Does anyone know how universities view resits on an application? I got AAB (1 mark off an A in politics so I’m retaking) and I’m reapplying with a predicted A* in my retake and AA in my other 2 a levels. I know some universities like Glasgow ask for A level results in one sitting, but my head of year has told me that I’m in a better position for offers because I’ve got 2 confirmed A grades and I’m predicted an A*. But I’m worried they wont like the fact I’m retaking or will just ignore what I’m predicted an look at my achieved grade instead :/

The policy will change from uni to uni so best to check with Admissions at your top 5.

For example, for Law degrees I know that UCL/LSE/KCL don't like resits unless there are extenuating circumstances, whereas Durham are ok with them.
Reply 2
Original post by harrysbar
The policy will change from uni to uni so best to check with Admissions at your top 5.

For example, for Law degrees I know that UCL/LSE/KCL don't like resits unless there are extenuating circumstances, whereas Durham are ok with them.

I’m applying to KCL, Bristol, Durham, Leeds and Manchester for International Relations.
why....are you resitting. your grades are fine

anyway i got ABD (:frown:) and was predicted A*AA and i'm only resitting the D.
i had extenuating circumstances but you should be fine because your grades the first time round were good anyway. were you rejected from uni with AAB?? because that seems like a solid set of results hun.

i did get through early admissions to harvard so we'll see what the future holds.
(edited 4 years ago)
I’m applying to KCL, Bristol, Durham, Leeds and Manchester for International Relations.

You have to do some research. If you have access to a phone you can ring them up and ask them what the resit policy is or you can email. It is up to them.
I’m sure universities like Manchester, Leeds would’ve accepted your AAB first time?? Or did you not apply
Original post by OR321
I’m sure universities like Manchester, Leeds would’ve accepted your AAB first time?? Or did you not apply

thats what i thought.. leeds and manchester seem pretty lenient
Reply 7
Original post by cheerIeader
why....are you resitting. your grades are fine

anyway i got ABD (:frown:) and was predicted A*AA and i'm only resitting the D.
i had extenuating circumstances but you should be fine because your grades the first time round were good anyway. were you rejected from uni with AAB?? because that seems like a solid set of results hun.

i did get through early admissions to harvard so we'll see what the future holds.

Thank you! Everyone keeps saying this to me but the problem is i feel as though I’m falling between the cracks at the moment. IR is really competitive and most courses are AAA (which is frustrating as I was 1 mark off an A!) I’ve looked at similar courses but most politics related courses at the unis i want to apply to are AAA :/
8735BF0E-2954-450C-90C4-E123CAFEA2DB.png
Just an example
Reply 9
Original post by OR321

Leeds and Manchester I’m not so worried about, they’re my backup options. My real dream is Durham and KCL but I’m not holding out hope for offers from them. I spoke to KCL and they said I would be considered less competitive and Durham said its fine as long as i contextualise it in my personal statement. I’m just so nervous I wont get an offer
Leeds and Manchester I’m not so worried about, they’re my backup options. My real dream is Durham and KCL but I’m not holding out hope for offers from them. I spoke to KCL and they said I would be considered less competitive and Durham said its fine as long as i contextualise it in my personal statement. I’m just so nervous I wont get an offer

Oh okayyy. Ignore my example above then lmao
Reply 11
Original post by OR321
Oh okayyy. Ignore my example above then lmao

Thank you anyway though!!

So don't apply to KCL if they have said you will be less competitive, apply to Durham, Leeds, Manchester, Bristol (who also don't mind resits) and one other. You will get offers, just probably not from Kings.

The reason why some universities don't like resits is because they don't want candidates that are not able to understand the course (to the required level) in the standard time. I can't help but think that you would have been better off going through clearing. Good luck.
(edited 4 years ago)
Might be worth applying to Edinburgh? I got in with AAB, even though technically they wanted 3 As for politics
Uni's position on retakes will generally be one of the following:

- happy to accept, (unless retaken multiple times, then might get a bit iffy)
- happy to accept along with an explanation of extenuating circumstances
- would consider but would disadvantage an application
- won't consider at all

Obviously that is quite a range so most of the advice you'll receive is to check with each Uni in turn depending on your circumstances.

If you were *very* keen on KCL it might be worth putting them down as an aspirational choice, but with the expectation that you were much less likely to receive an offer.
Thank you! Everyone keeps saying this to me but the problem is i feel as though I’m falling between the cracks at the moment. IR is really competitive and most courses are AAA (which is frustrating as I was 1 mark off an A!) I’ve looked at similar courses but most politics related courses at the unis i want to apply to are AAA :/

Out of curiosity, did you get it remarked? If it's only one mark then most schools should allow that.
Reply 17
Original post by laura10203
Out of curiosity, did you get it remarked? If it's only one mark then most schools should allow that.

Yeah got it remarked, ended up being 1 mark off an A (was originally 3 marks off) :frown:
Reply 18
Original post by mistysky06
Might be worth applying to Edinburgh? I got in with AAB, even though technically they wanted 3 As for politics

Really?! Can you tell me more, Edinburgh is my dreaaaam, but IR is A*AA-ABB and I didn’t get an offer last year with predicted A*AA. But I’m curious to know you’re experience applying and getting the offer
Bristol accept resits as do Exeter and nearly every other university. UCL dont. If Durham are telling you they apply there and Bristol. Check Leeds and Manchester and you could try Exeter. Give Kings a miss. The vast majority of universities would have taken you with AAB. Have a look at JPapi's information on the Law forum to see how low university's have gone to accept student's for Law. @Harrysbar can you produce the evidence here you produced the other day.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending