The Student Room Group

Law University Chances

Hello fellow student roomers, what do you think my chances are for the top law Unis?

Application :
GCSE --- 4 A*, 4 A, B, C.
Predicted A levels --- A* A* A (History, Maths, Eng. Lit)

Good deal of legal experience with solicitors and barristers. Read 5/6 law books.

DoE Gold Award, Prefect, Mentor, Senior/Junior debating, Student Council.

LNAT of 28/42, assume average/good essay.

What are my chances of studying Law LLB at UCL, LSE, King's, Durham, Edinburgh, Glasgow.
I assume Oxbridge is unrealistic?

Any Advice would be appreciated :smile:
Original post by TheWingDingKing
Hello fellow student roomers, what do you think my chances are for the top law Unis?

Application :

Good deal of legal experience with solicitors and barristers. Read 5/6 law books.

What are my chances of studying Law LLB at UCL, LSE, King's, Durham, Edinburgh, Glasgow.

Moved to the Law forum :smile:
Bump?

Application :

I wouldn't say Oxbridge is out of the question but I assume you have already made the decision not to apply as the closing date is tomorrow? And have you done the LNAT this year already and you're assuming the 28?

If you want to improve your chances, read the other sixth of the book. That'll help.

Out of interest, why when you have 10 GCSEs and a prediction of A*A*A do you think Oxbridge is 'out the question'? What do you think Oxbridge are looking for: the holy grail?

The best way of not getting into Oxford or Cambridge is not applying to Oxford or Cambridge.
I think if I applied to Oxbridge, I would be immediately outgunned by the 3/4A* crowd, and those with better GCSEs.
I would honesty be shocked/delighted with an LSE offer.
What do you guys think my chances are with the others?
I think if I applied to Oxbridge, I would be immediately outgunned by the 3/4A* crowd, and those with better GCSEs.
I would honesty be shocked/delighted with an LSE offer.
What do you guys think my chances are with the others?

We don't know how good your personal statement/reference is or all the facts about your LNAT, so cannot say too much. But based on the information you have given us, I can't see why you wouldn't get offers. No one can say for sure whether LSE, for example, will make you an offer but you just need to apply to the unis that interest you the most, aim high and hope for the best.

You could have applied to Oxbridge, but seem a bit unconfident.
Original post by Reality Check
If you want to improve your chances, read the other sixth of the book.

I meant I have read 5 or 6 law books, not 5/6ths of one lol.

Original post by harrysbar
You could have applied to Oxbridge

I'm kinda getting mixed signals here guys.

How are my chances with the others?
I'm kinda getting mixed signals here guys.

Not really..... my point was that you could have applied to Oxbridge; J Papi noted that your GCSEs are statistically speaking "below average" (for Oxbridge) - which doesn't mean that you had no chance of getting an interview, especially given your excellent A level predictions. Anyway, that is presumably academic since the closing date is today.

Have you looked at the data has collected on the actual grades A level students got into Oxbridge/UCL/LSE/KCL and other unis with in 2017 and 2018? This provides evidence of what you must surely already know - with A*A*A predictions, you can apply anywhere. No one on TSR can guarantee you will get offers, however, but my advice is to aim high.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6160930
Have you already done the LNAT in the last cycle or are you just guessing?
I'm getting consistently above 28 on arbitio, so I reckon thats what I should be getting in the real thing. haven't done it yet.

Thanks for all your feedback so far guys! Could we move the discussion away from Oxbridge - that ship has sailed (for this year at least).
I'm getting consistently above 28 on arbitio, so I reckon thats what I should be getting in the real thing. haven't done it yet.

Thanks for all your feedback so far guys! Could we move the discussion away from Oxbridge - that ship has sailed (for this year at least).

Don't know what more anyone can add.....just book that LNAT and apply already
As above, its a bit silly asking folk on TSR to guarantee you offers, or alternatively, stroke your ego.

Like everyone else, you will just have to apply and keep your fingers crossed.

On Arbitio?! That's insane! Arbitio is so much harder than the real thing so you must be good at the multiple-choice.

Original post by returnmigrant
As above, its a bit silly asking folk on TSR to guarantee you offers, or alternatively, stroke your ego.

Like everyone else, you will just have to apply and keep your fingers crossed.

I do agree. Threads like this seem to have one purpose; to ask people online to make them feel good about themselves.

It's human-nature, I'm not blaming you necessarily for wanting to feel better. But everyone is feeling this way right now, and you're not going to get the responses you desire anyway.
Original post by returnmigrant

Not asking for any of that, just looking for feedback from the more experienced members here.

Original post by dyingstudent101
I do agree. Threads like this seem to have one purpose; to ask people online to make them feel good about themselves.

I'm asking on here to get a feel for how likely I am to get an offer for several Unis, not to degrade anyone else. This isn't a troll post - my grades aren't good enough for that.

What about Warwick/Durham/UCL? Out of 10 how are my chances?
Not asking for any of that, just looking for feedback from the more experienced members here.

I'm asking on here to get a feel for how likely I am to get an offer for several Unis, not to degrade anyone else. This isn't a troll post - my grades aren't good enough for that.

Would you believe me if I said 8.5? Without even seeing your UCAS form or knowing any further details about your application? It would be ridiculous for anyone to give you a score out of 10, it is up to the Unis to decide and that is my last comment on this matter

As every poster has already said, how are we supposed to know?

Application :

I missed LSE and Cambridge with 10 A*s and an A at GCSE, and A*A*A predicted at A-Level (achieved A*AA in History, English Literature and French). What you have to remember about LSE is that they place a lot of emphasis on the personal statement and how individual and strong it is (mine had a typo...not my finest hour). I also never took the LNAT, so I am perhaps not of much use to you there. I think you have a chance. I think your LNAT is strong as well as your experience. Don't give up! If you can achieve those (fantastic!) A-level grades, you will probably be a brilliant lawyer. Good luck to you! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending