The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MollyTav15
Thinking of applying to UEA but just need to know if I have a good shot at it as my ucat is low😭
GCSEs 9A* 2As
Achieved A levels: A*A*A bio chem maths respectively
UCAT 615 average B3 😭
Other unis
Cardiff
Exeter
Plymouth

Hard to say as in the past they also scored gcse but now they only look at UCAT- depends on how much you want to go and what your other choices are in terms of how risky (they don’t look too bad )
Original post by DGeorge13
If it is similar to Sheffield who publish how it works it would be along the lines of b1 -5 b2-3 b3-1 and any score in top decile would only be beaten by top decile top band / potentially other permutations and this is just basing it on the fact that a couple of unis give around that score per station and could be completely different as it is basically just how I tried to rationalise it nyself

For Sheffield, it’s B1 -5, B2 - 4, B3 - 3 and B4 -2 according to website. So actually only lose a point for an SJT2 👍
Original post by Polkadot2018
For Sheffield, it’s B1 -5, B2 - 4, B3 - 3 and B4 -2 according to website. So actually only lose a point for an SJT2 👍

Thanks. That is just a guess on how it works though and could be completely different
How is UEA medical school like? In terms of teaching, making friends, the social life and other things?
About myself:
Predicted A*A*A*A* ( Bio,chem,phys and maths)
UCAT: 635 BAND 2

I'm looking for a medical school that can provide a strong education in Medicine so that when I move back to London I can work greatly in any London hospitals. I have tried to look up UEA medical students day in the life videos but there is literally nothing.

Some people have told me that I should aspire for "higher" unis such as Manchester. I want to know how its taught over there and if its great.
Original post by AverageHuman
...Some people have told me that I should aspire for "higher" unis such as Manchester. I want to know how its taught over there and if its great.

I don't know much about UEA itself, but there are no "higher" or "lower" UK medical schools. All medical degrees are equal and you don't get extra points having graduated from Manchester compared to UEA; or Keele compared to Cambridge; or Anglia Ruskin compared to Oxford.

So apply according to your stats, the location, the teaching style (e.g. PBL vs integrated) etc and not because of the prestige or perceived ranking (ranking means nothing for med schools) of the universities.

Post originally created by ecolier.
Original post by AverageHuman
How is UEA medical school like? In terms of teaching, making friends, the social life and other things?
About myself:
Predicted A*A*A*A* ( Bio,chem,phys and maths)
UCAT: 635 BAND 2

I'm looking for a medical school that can provide a strong education in Medicine so that when I move back to London I can work greatly in any London hospitals. I have tried to look up UEA medical students day in the life videos but there is literally nothing.

Some people have told me that I should aspire for "higher" unis such as Manchester. I want to know how its taught over there and if its great.

All medical schools provide strong teaching and getting into a London deanery is more to do with how you perform in your cohort as well as sjt - May be affected by the national exam when we get there. I think that aside though UEA is not a low uni for medicine as yes it is not as “prestigious not that that really matters in medicine but it does tend to do well at foundation year doctor preparedness
So I rang up the admissions team today and they said last year all applicants who met the minimum entry requirements got an interview without the use of their UCAT scores. They also said they are expecting to do the same again this year. I asked if a low UCAT would be disadvantageous and they said for shortlisting they score 50:50 UCAT and interview with SJT scored separately to the UCAT. Hopefully low UCAT scores can be offset by high interview scores. Probably also advantageous to have band 1 SJT. Unfortunately I didn't get any more info on how they score the interview. Hope this helps.
Original post by Potat0lover
So I rang up the admissions team today and they said last year all applicants who met the minimum entry requirements got an interview without the use of their UCAT scores. They also said they are expecting to do the same again this year. I asked if a low UCAT would be disadvantageous and they said for shortlisting they score 50:50 UCAT and interview with SJT scored separately to the UCAT. Hopefully low UCAT scores can be offset by high interview scores. Probably also advantageous to have band 1 SJT. Unfortunately I didn't get any more info on how they score the interview. Hope this helps.

I think interview is probably out of 5 or 10 as quite a few do that and there’s 6 stations and sjt is a virtual station
Has anyone received an acknowledgment from uea yet?
Has anyone received an acknowledgment from uea yet?

Nope
Reply 50
Submitted Tuesday last week and haven't heard anything.
Has everyone received their acknowledgement email from UEA? I haven’t yet and I’m started to get a bit worried. Going to give them a call this morning
Original post by _michaelcol
Has everyone received their acknowledgement email from UEA? I haven’t yet and I’m started to get a bit worried. Going to give them a call this morning

Have you checked your junk mail?
Have you checked your junk mail?

I found it in my junk 😣 silly of me to ask before checking. Thanks a lot!
Reply 54
I received a mail a few weeks back to send them my transcript of result. Did anyone receive a similar mail?
Just been invited for interview!!!!
Reply 56
Congratulation.
Do you mind me asking your stats?
Original post by Awk98
Congratulation.
Do you mind me asking your stats?

Thank you!
Yeah sure
GCSEs 9A*s 2As
Achieved A levels (on a gap year) A*A*A bio chem maths respectively
UCAT 615😭B3