The Student Room Group

Offering GCSE Maths help :)

A message to anyone currently in year 10/11 struggling with GCSE maths, I did my GCSEs this year and achieved a grade 9, and am now doing Maths and Further Maths at sixth form. If anyone has questions reply to this thread! :smile:
I'm struggling on applying all of the knowledge from the specification into the harder questions such as the 4/5/6 markers. Do you have any tips on that? And people always say that the best revision for maths is always past papers, is that true? Any grade 8/9 websites/revision tips that are helpful? (I currently know MathsGenie, Corbett Maths, Hegarty Maths). What were you at the start of Year 10/11 and how did you work your way up to a grade 9?
Original post by Darciestimpson
A message to anyone currently in year 10/11 struggling with GCSE maths, I did my GCSEs this year and achieved a grade 9, and am now doing Maths and Further Maths at sixth form. If anyone has questions reply to this thread! :smile:

Just join in on the threads that exist already and read the rules about no posting solutions.

No need to have a thread for 'your' help :smile:
I got a grade 8 in my year 10 mock, but no one really took them seriously. I'll be honest, I didn't as revise much for maths as I did for my other subjects as it came naturally to me, and I had a great teacher- definitely use all the resources your teachers give you! In terms of revision I went over topics I didn't know and I do think practise questions (not papers, because you know you can tackle the easy ones, so they are a waste of time imo) are the best way to revise but only if you know all the content you are being questioned on. Workbooks are also great- I had the edexcel workbook (light blue) and the CGP practice questions workbook which I found really good. As it gets nearer to the exams, I would strongly recommend printing off big booklets of practice questions or getting them from teachers as they usually have them lying around, as they are so helpful. As for tackling the more wordy questions, I would recommend looking over the topic the question is on whether that is in a revision guide or online, the maths websites you mentioned were the ones I also used, no others spring to mind, and making sure you really understand what the question is asking you before you give it a go, and do questions that you have access to mark schemes, as they usually take you through the working out in the answer. I hoped I've answered everything!
Original post by Muttley79
Just join in on the threads that exist already and read the rules about no posting solutions.

No need to have a thread for 'your' help :smile:

I couldn't find other threads for Maths help, and was just offering advice. No need to be rude.
I couldn't find other threads for Maths help, and was just offering advice. No need to be rude.

That wasn't rude, just factual - there's a whole Maths section and thousands of threads.
I got a grade 8 in my year 10 mock, but no one really took them seriously. I'll be honest, I didn't as revise much for maths as I did for my other subjects as it came naturally to me, and I had a great teacher- definitely use all the resources your teachers give you! In terms of revision I went over topics I didn't know and I do think practise questions (not papers, because you know you can tackle the easy ones, so they are a waste of time imo) are the best way to revise but only if you know all the content you are being questioned on. Workbooks are also great- I had the edexcel workbook (light blue) and the CGP practice questions workbook which I found really good. As it gets nearer to the exams, I would strongly recommend printing off big booklets of practice questions or getting them from teachers as they usually have them lying around, as they are so helpful. As for tackling the more wordy questions, I would recommend looking over the topic the question is on whether that is in a revision guide or online, the maths websites you mentioned were the ones I also used, no others spring to mind, and making sure you really understand what the question is asking you before you give it a go, and do questions that you have access to mark schemes, as they usually take you through the working out in the answer. I hoped I've answered everything!

Thanks so much! Very helpful and will definitely be using these tips :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest