The Student Room Group

Predicted grades for uni

HI, i would like some advice about if Universites take Predicted Grades seriously.

I Basically got distinction in Computing which i was really happy about but in Engineering Design i got a F :frown:.

Engineering Design (Worth Two-A levels)

Should I apply for Foundation Year Courses? Should I try get my teacher to change it?? I am just soo confusedd!!!!! I know i won't get a F, just don't know what i should do. I wanted to go into a CyberSecurity Course or Computing/Computer Networks.

(my teacher is giving new predicted grades for engineering design!!!!!)
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by micheledeleo13
HI, i would like some advice about if Universites take Predicted Grades seriously.

I Basically got distinction in Computing which i was really happy about but in Engineering Design i got a F :frown:.

Should I apply for Foundation Year Courses? Should I try get my teacher to change it?? I am just soo confusedd!!!!! I know i won't get a F, just don't know what i should do. I wanted to go into a CyberSecurity Course or Computing/Computer Networks.

In most cases I think they will take notice. You might have to wait till you get your actual grades. Predicted are just predicted, so still time to get your backside into gear and improve if you work smart and hard.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
In most cases I think they will take notice. You might have to wait till you get your actual grades. Predicted are just predicted, so still time to get your backside into gear and improve if you work smart and hard.

Thanks for the help, do you think I should still try and apply to Universities I want to go. I know I will get the actual grades they want or is it better to just wait.
Thanks for the help, do you think I should still try and apply to Universities I want to go. I know I will get the actual grades they want or is it better to just wait.

Up to you. I would tend not to waste my time, unless you have serious reasons why your grades are so low. I would get the grades then go for clearing or a gap.
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
Up to you. I would tend not to waste my time, unless you have serious reasons why your grades are so low. I would get the grades then go for clearing or a gap.

Thanks for help!!!
Thanks for help!!!

You dont have time to feel sorry for yourself, sort it out and id why you are failing then improve.
Universities take predicted grades *very* seriously to the point where I'd say for most courses they are one of the most important parts of your application.

Either get your teacher to change it or apply to do a foundation year.
You need to talk to your teacher urgently and find out why their prediction is so low when you seem so confident you will pass the course at a good grade. Ask what you have to do to convince them you can pass the course at a higher grade, and then work hard at improving things. You don’t need to send your UCAS form off for a long time and need to try to turn things around by December so you at least get an E prediction which is a Pass
Reply 8
Original post by harrysbar
You need to talk to your teacher urgently and find out why their prediction is so low when you seem so confident you will pass the course at a good grade. Ask what you have to do to convince them you can pass the course at a higher grade, and then work hard at improving things. You don’t need to send your UCAS form off for a long time and need to try to turn things around by December so you at least get an E prediction which is a Pass

I forgot I had till December to send the UCAS form, if he changes it to a PP, do you think I should apply to courses I want to do.

D in Computing
PP in Engineering Design.

I was thinking just To wait for clearing when I get my results or apply To Foundation Year.
Reply 9
Original post by Nihilisticb*tch
Universities take predicted grades *very* seriously to the point where I'd say for most courses they are one of the most important parts of your application.

Either get your teacher to change it or apply to do a foundation year.

Thanks for the advice!! :smile:

D in Computing
PP in Engineering Design.

I was thinking just To wait for clearing when I get my results or apply To Foundation Year.

Yes I know some schools/colleges pressurise people to apply early but in your case it is worth applying later so you have a chance to prove you can get better grades.

If someone applies to a uni for a degree course and the uni doesn't think they have the right grades but they do think they would be suitable for their foundation year, they normally offer them a place on the foundation year instead. So you don't actually need to apply for the foundation year courses. Equally, you could apply for the foundation year courses, and if you do better than expected in your exams, the unis will normally offer students a place on Year 1 of their degree course instead.

The important thing is to be in the UCAS system when the results come out (even if you have rejections or only foundation year offers) because that way, you can easily upgrade in Clearing when you get your results.
(edited 4 years ago)

unfortunately they do but i wish that they didn't as it doesn't show you your "true" success
PROOF: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/aug/18/predicted-grades-lottery-work-against-poorest-students-get-rid-of-them
(edited 4 years ago)
I think if you know you can do better then go and convince your teachers of that. My predicted grade for biology wasn't what I needed so, I went to my teacher and asked what would I need to do to convince you that I can do an A? And we had a short chat about why she put what she did and in the end she put it up to an A. I know not all teachers are like that but you could give it a try maybe even explain that you need it for university.
Hope that helps a bit. Good luck. 🍀

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending