The Student Room Group

Opinions on university choices?

(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Issie.4
So I have to get rid of one of these choices: Lancaster, York, Leeds, Liverpool, Sheffield.

Anyone got any experience, tips or opinions for which? I’m applying for geography. Thanks!

It is very difficult for somebody to help you as one persons thoughts will be different from another. Look through the courses and reject the one you like least. Although think on the kind of environment you would like to live in for 3 years. Lancaster is a very small city and the campus is miles out whereas Leeds is a huge city with the campus basically in the centre.
Original post by Issie.4
So I have to get rid of one of these choices: Lancaster, York, Leeds, Liverpool, Sheffield.

Anyone got any experience, tips or opinions for which? I’m applying for geography. Thanks!

Depends what you're looking for in a university, city and course. I'd personally get rid of Liverpool because I've heard quite bad things about the city... :redface:
Original post by swanseajack1
It is very difficult for somebody to help you as one persons thoughts will be different from another. Look through the courses and reject the one you like least. Although think on the kind of environment you would like to live in for 3 years. Lancaster is a very small city and the campus is miles out whereas Leeds is a huge city with the campus basically in the centre.

Thanks for the reply. Yep I’ve visited them all and like them all, similarly good courses too. Just looking for other peoples experiences/opinions because it can be helpful, not making my decision for me just sharing ideas.
Original post by Quick-use
Depends what you're looking for in a university, city and course. I'd personally get rid of Liverpool because I've heard quite bad things about the city... :redface:

Thanks for the reply! I quite liked Liverpool when I visited but it’s really helpful to hear differing opinions. :smile:
Original post by Issie.4
Thanks for the reply. Yep I’ve visited them all and like them all, similarly good courses too. Just looking for other peoples experiences/opinions because it can be helpful, not making my decision for me just sharing ideas.

The problem is that nobody is going to able to really compare them as they wont have been to all of them. You could go off the complete university guide to look at their ranking but be aware that no ranking is totally accurate and the differences between these universities is likely to be very small anyway. It really boils down to personal choice and only you can make that. Try making a list of the good and bad things about each university and location and come to your decision from there.

I've been to Liverpool and there's nothing wrong with the city. Don't just spread rumours if you haven't been yourself. It's no worse than places like Leeds, Sheffield, Manchester etc.
Original post by Nihilisticb*tch
I've been to Liverpool and there's nothing wrong with the city. Don't just spread rumours if you haven't been yourself. It's no worse than places like Leeds, Sheffield, Manchester etc.

I'm not spreading rumours. All I said was what I would personally do because of what I had heard about the city. I'm free to base my personal decisions on whatever metric I like. If you'd rather base your decisions on experiences than word of mouth, then that's your personal philosophy.
I'm not spreading rumours. All I said was what I would personally do because of what I had heard about the city. I'm free to base my personal decisions on whatever metric I like. If you'd rather base your decisions on experiences than word of mouth, then that's your personal philosophy.

You're influencing other peoples university decision based on information that could well be false. It would be fair enough if you said "I've heard this is wrong with Liverpool" or "Some people don't like that at Liverpool" but just being vague and saying you've "heard bad things" is not helpful.
Original post by Nihilisticb*tch
You're influencing other peoples university decision based on information that could well be false. It would be fair enough if you said "I've heard this is wrong with Liverpool" or "Some people don't like that at Liverpool" but just being vague and saying you've "heard bad things" is not helpful.

Again, that's your personal view and philosophy.

In any case, let's not sidetrack this thread further.
Original post by Issie.4

Hello,
Let me know if you have any questions about Lancaster as a university or city and I'll be happy to answer. I have quite a few friends who do geography (or something similar) as it's a big course, so I'll do my best from that POV too!
Charlotte :smile:
3rd year Biological Sciences with Biomedicine
Go back to basics - which course do you like the best. Look at all the available units for all three years of the course, check which optional units appeal to you, which would you actually choose to do each year etc. What 'extras' are on offer - study abroad, placements, overseas field trips etc etc. How big is the dept, what does that Uni focus on within Geography (what and how many Masters degrees do they do - this is usually a good indicator).

All of those cities will be an interesting place to live as a student so it comes down to what you would actually be studying - because if that doesnt interest you it'll be a miserable three years wherever you go.

Make sure you spread your overall grade choices - the usual advice is
1 risky choice (just above your predicted grades)
2 or 3 at your predicted grades
1 or 2 below your predicted grades (this makes sure you have a realistic Insurance choice later on).
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hello,
Let me know if you have any questions about Lancaster as a university or city and I'll be happy to answer. I have quite a few friends who do geography (or something similar) as it's a big course, so I'll do my best from that POV too!
3rd year Biological Sciences with Biomedicine

Hi! Thanks for the reply. I’ve decided finally that I will apply to Lancaster but still have no idea what uni I will actually go to in the end depending on offers. I suppose just wondering if it’s been a positive experience for you or anything to be aware of etc. :smile:
Original post by Issie.4
Hi! Thanks for the reply. I’ve decided finally that I will apply to Lancaster but still have no idea what uni I will actually go to in the end depending on offers. I suppose just wondering if it’s been a positive experience for you or anything to be aware of etc. :smile:

Ah that's great to hear! If you get an offer (fingers crossed) you'll be invited to an applicant visit day which I strongly recommend. For a start they're during term time so the uni & city is more representative of what you'd experience compared to open days in the summer. I've really enjoyed by time here and I'll be sad to graduate at the end of this year. It's definitely a campus uni (which I think is great) so it's important to consider if you'd enjoy that as it's not for everyone.
Original post by Issie.4

My daughter went to Lancaster for Pshychology a few years back and she really liked it. It has a friendly atmosphere, the course was well run, and they have good accommodation on campus, not too expensive compared to a lot of other unis. Also, she grew to really like the city, although found it "cute" rather than exciting or vibrant, because it is a small city
Original post by harrysbar
My daughter went to Lancaster for Pshychology a few years back and she really liked it. It has a friendly atmosphere, the course was well run, and they have good accommodation on campus, not too expensive compared to a lot of other unis. Also, she grew to really like the city, although found it "cute" rather than exciting or vibrant, because it is a small city

I agree that the uni had a very friendly feel :smile: thanks for replying, hearing experiences like this is very helpful

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending