The Student Room Group

Online MSc Computer Science with Data Analytics at University of York

Scroll to see replies

From what a friend of mine who's done a CS degree has told me, the more theoretical areas of it do feature maths (primarily as you go deeper into AI and ML), as well as formal logic, but it did not feature to any great extent on the course.
(edited 4 years ago)
My reference letter was rejected because it was from a previous employer. Im a bit reluctant to ask my current employer for reference because my reason to take this is for a career change. In any case, I still havent received my bachelors transcript so I deferred the application to January and I have time to think about it. If Bath accepts my reference then I might go with them
I'd explain the situation. I had a similar problem with references and the university in question waived the requirement.
Original post by TCA2b
From what a friend of mine who's done a CS degree has told me, the more theoretical areas of it do feature maths (primarily as you go deeper into AI and ML), as well as formal logic, but it did not feature to any great extent on the course.

Yeah thats true, I just found york's course a bit weird in this respect because their undergraduate course has loads of maths and also some engineering topics like embedded systems which imo could be done by distance learning.
Hello, has anyone managed to start one of these online computer science courses at York? If so whats anyones opinion on it and I'm considering starting this.
Original post by clshadowhunter
Hello, has anyone managed to start one of these online computer science courses at York? If so whats anyones opinion on it and I'm considering starting this.

Search the thread, as more than likely the answer to your general question is here.
Original post by Yourmainmancj
Yeah thats true, I just found york's course a bit weird in this respect because their undergraduate course has loads of maths and also some engineering topics like embedded systems which imo could be done by distance learning.

My assumption regarding the Maths is that it's to maximise an undergrad's options later on, particularly if they intend to do theoretical research. The only conversion course I am aware of which requires A level Maths is UCL's - the rest don't. There's benefits to knowing Maths but you don't need it to be a software dev.
Original post by TCA2b
My assumption regarding the Maths is that it's to maximise an undergrad's options later on, particularly if they intend to do theoretical research. The only conversion course I am aware of which requires A level Maths is UCL's - the rest don't. There's benefits to knowing Maths but you don't need it to be a software dev.

I think at Masters level, it's a higher level skill set, so less about details on the inner workings and more about understanding and critical analysis. In short, less about the how and more about the why.

Your boss doesn't need to know exactly how you do your job, they just need to know roughly what you do and that you can do it good enough.
Original post by elideli
I have applied to the course and was admitted. It's true that the course is running for the first time although York is not a no-name university. Being part of the Russel Group is a good stamp of quality. The CS department seems to be well regarded and has a well-qualified teaching staff. I have researched almost every conversion MSc in CS around the world and couldn't find anything cheaper from a similarly ranked university (I'm Canadian). I know there's going to be downs as a first time running course, but I'm not looking to be handheld, I just want a programme that I'll use as a base to break-in computer science, be aware that in such a programme, you'll have to be independent and learn things on your own to succeed. The good thing is you have tons of resources available online to supplement your learning. What I really also like about the programme as opposed to others is that it's not a watered down version of an MSc CS, you study the real thing like Architecture, Algorithms & Data Structures, Advanced Programming, Machine Learning etc. York is actually delivering the course in partnership with a US company which has a long history of delivering online programmes for other institutions in the US. The online learning platform is Canvas LMS which is one of the best, not your *****y typical Blackboard or Moodle, to me, this makes a difference. The Bath programme looks very good as well but I don't think it's worth 5K more and Bath is not as well regarded as York. Some other online programmes I have looked at are Northumbria, Huddersfield, Liverpool, Staffordshire, and Aberdeen. I have done a ton of research before pulling the trigger on York, if you have any question let me know otherwise I hope to see you in the online induction :smile:

** I was looking at Research Excellence Framework results and York is on par with Manchester and Edinburgh for the quality of its research in CS.

https://results.ref.ac.uk/(S(fyjw2atnemz4rhyk1e1zytds))/Results/ByUoa/11

Hello there,
Have u now started with York ? How r you finding it ?
Do they said it roughly requires 18 hours per week. Is that true?
How is the online support ?
Reply 589
Original post by reyjusuf
I'm also looking at Arizona State University's course. However, it is a Master of Computer Science degree, not MSc. in Computer Science.

https://www.coursera.org/degrees/master-of-computer-science-asu/academics
The plus for me is it is in Coursera, a platform I have used and liked. The negative is it is US$15000 for the whole degree.

Have you looked at Georgia Tech omscs? It's probably the best CS online program available currently.
Original post by ak0509
Have you looked at Georgia Tech omscs? It's probably the best CS online program available currently.

It looks good, but I think you need to check if the title will have 'online' as OMS is mentioned everywhere.

Unfortunately, there is a stigma with having an 'online' degree and if you are relying on the degree to get you a job, it may be challenging. Employers that require a masters will check your credentials, so omitting the 'online' part will not be viable. I'm sure most people know I'm talking about fraud here.

One of the main factors for most people when considering an online masters is that it is equivalent to a masters achieved had they attended on-campus. If the OMS was equivalent to the MS, why give it a different name?

However, it may not matter that the degree has 'online' in the title for some people. If you can go on to do a PhD with this OMS, it would be more promising.
Original post by Yourmainmancj
We learn java and python are the mains ones used, we use R for data mining and text analytics and possibly for big data

I think it is only Java and Python.
Original post by Edtao3000
I think it is only Java and Python.

Yeah that’s my impression too, however I asked the course director and he said the text mining module may contain R
Reply 593
For the batch thats starting at 28th of October, when do we get access to Canvas or the coursework/recommended books, etc.? At 28th or some days earlier?
Advanced Programming is the second module, correct?

Anyone else having trouble finding it in e:vision and module search? I got a notification to sign up for Software Engineering (which is the fourth module) via email.
Original post by gokun
For the batch thats starting at 28th of October, when do we get access to Canvas or the coursework/recommended books, etc.? At 28th or some days earlier?

I personally got access to Canvas the day of (Sept start).

I believe you can dig for the books on YorSearch. Just put the module number in the textbox. For example, COM00141M will lead you to Java in Two Semesters (4th edition) and Introduction to Algorithms.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 596
Fantastic, thank you. Can you just tell me one more thing, are students supposed to go through and learn the whole 'Introduction to Algorithms' or are there specific chapters/topics on which the focus is on?
Original post by biasiaria
Advanced Programming is the second module, correct?

Anyone else having trouble finding it in e:vision and module search? I got a notification to sign up for Software Engineering (which is the fourth module) via email.

There is no second module per say they just put you on any module that's a available at the time, so software engineering is your next module.
Original post by gokun
Fantastic, thank you. Can you just tell me one more thing, are students supposed to go through and learn the whole 'Introduction to Algorithms' or are there specific chapters/topics on which the focus is on?

Specific.
Reply 599
Original post by Edtao3000
It looks good, but I think you need to check if the title will have 'online' as OMS is mentioned everywhere.

Unfortunately, there is a stigma with having an 'online' degree and if you are relying on the degree to get you a job, it may be challenging. Employers that require a masters will check your credentials, so omitting the 'online' part will not be viable. I'm sure most people know I'm talking about fraud here.

One of the main factors for most people when considering an online masters is that it is equivalent to a masters achieved had they attended on-campus. If the OMS was equivalent to the MS, why give it a different name?

However, it may not matter that the degree has 'online' in the title for some people. If you can go on to do a PhD with this OMS, it would be more promising.

I agree with you to some extent, but OMSCS has a good reputation, some of their alumni work with Google. However, they have made a clear distinction about it being online. I guess, its more to do with the fact that a full-time GeorgiaTech CS student is elite. I choose to proudly say, that I am doing a demanding Masters from a reputed university like York or gtech while working full time. It shows your passion, dedication and your willingness to go that extra mile to achieve something. In my opinion, if an employer sees this as a downside, I must say, he/she is really shortsighted.

Btw, I got my unconditional offer letter today, so, it has become real now. Planning to start from Jan 2020.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending