The Student Room Group

Should the death penalty be legal

Poll

Should the death penalty be legal

Basically what it says in the title - we haven't had a good debate on this issue in a long time.

Personally, I'm against it, being pro-life (hence my opposition to abortion and assisted suicide). Thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
im against the death penalty however - being pro-choice - i dont see the correlation.
Reply 2
Personally, i'm against it, if for the dual simple reasons of;
A) I dont think the prats in Westminster should have a say on who should live or die
B) It seems a frightful waste of state resources, it would seem rather more practice to put those who would otherwise get a death sentence into a work gang - at least that way theyre doing something to 'atone' for their ills.

Plus, it would seem to be an egregiously easy way out for these people. If we go with the, reasonable, assumption that the people getting this punishment were the worst of the worst wouldnt it be more apt to let them live out the rest of their retched lives in horrible conditions (say down a mine shaft) than giving them a relatively quick and painless way out?
Original post by Napp
Personally, i'm against it, if for the dual simple reasons of;
A) I dont think the prats in Westminster should have a say on who should live or die
B) It seems a frightful waste of state resources, it would seem rather more practice to put those who would otherwise get a death sentence into a work gang - at least that way theyre doing something to 'atone' for their ills.

Plus, it would seem to be an egregiously easy way out for these people. If we go with the, reasonable, assumption that the people getting this punishment were the worst of the worst wouldnt it be more apt to let them live out the rest of their retched lives in horrible conditions (say down a mine shaft) than giving them a relatively quick and painless way out?

Are the conditions in UK prisons harsh enough to be deemed appropriate for the most severe cases of criminal misconduct? For example, the rape and murder of six year old Alesha MacPhail.
Yes it should, saves alot of tax payers money.
Reply 5
Original post by 10oba-abbad
Are the conditions in UK prisons harsh enough to be deemed appropriate for the most severe cases of criminal misconduct? For example, the rape and murder of six year old Alesha MacPhail.

Not by a long shot, hence my comment about sending them down a mine shaft although the old practice of sticking them on rusting hulks or islands in bum **** nowhere could work...
Original post by Napp
Not by a long shot, hence my comment about sending them down a mine shaft although the old practice of sticking them on rusting hulks or islands in bum **** nowhere could work...

Agreed.
No
Reply 8
Maybe an opt-in system so we don't have to waste money keeping them locked up.
Original post by zaizay03
im against the death penalty however - being pro-choice - i dont see the correlation.

My religious beliefs involve the sanctity of life - although this is getting a bit off topic and I don't fancy another ”debate Catholicism” thread.
Original post by Bio 7
Maybe an opt-in system so we don't have to waste money keeping them locked up.

How would that work?
Original post by LiberOfLondon
Basically what it says in the title - we haven't had a good debate on this issue in a long time.

Personally, I'm against it, being pro-life (hence my opposition to abortion and assisted suicide). Thoughts?

Yes, for murderers and pedophiles.

I think we need to rethink the justice system. Everyone seems to be sent to jail/prison from civil disobedience to major messed up crimes. We should bring back corporal punishment for petty offences and capital punishment for those mentioned above.
Reply 12
How would that work?

Plead guilty and ask for the death penalty. We don't need to waste resources on these people.
Original post by Wired_1800
Yes, for murderers and pedophiles.

I think we need to rethink the justice system. Everyone seems to be sent to jail/prison from civil disobedience to major messed up crimes. We should bring back corporal punishment for petty offences and capital punishment for those mentioned above.

Is this a wind up? Even SAUDI ARABIA is moving towards abolishing corporal punishment.

Original post by Bio 7
Plead guilty and ask for the death penalty. We don't need to waste resources on these people.

That does seem like a sensible idea.
No, if it became legal the there's no doubt that some innocent people would end up being affected (just look at America's death penalty).

Not much point in something that's meant to 'protect' everyone (and punish criminals) if it also ends up killing innocents, even if it only kills one innocent.

Also, people talk about how it would save money and resources, but isn't it the exact opposite a lot of the time?
All of the extra legal battles cost money, and so does the process of having an 'ethical' execution.

So life in prison can actually be cheaper than the death penalty.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by ElNiñoo
Yes it should, saves alot of tax payers money.

No it doesn't.

It's not as simple as putting a bullet in someone's head.

The judicial process will be long and the cost of monitoring someone on death row is massive.
Is this a wind up? Even SAUDI ARABIA is moving towards abolishing corporal punishment.

No, it isn’t. We need to bring it back and have an array of punishments that increase in severity depending on the crime. We should not dump everyone in jail or prison, it makes prison look like summer school.
No, mainly as I don't believe we can be trusted with it. I do feel some people simply need killing, but prob best just to off them quietly, which lets face it, isn't something new.
yes - with addition of more stringent legal procedures to convict
What's very strange about the UK and US systems is the way they sometimes result in more or less the opposite outcomes of what's nominally intended - e.g. there was a case recently of someone in the US on death row for 35 years. If it gets that long you could well die in prison, i.e. the practical effect is life imprisonment. Whereas in the UK if someone does something really heinous, very often other prisoners kill them so it ends up as an informal/unofficial death penalty. In the latter case, better that it should be done in an orderly above-board fashion.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending