The Student Room Group

reluctant gap year :(

hey

i'm in year 13, studying politics, french and spanish. last year i studied philosophy but chose to switch to spanish this year (and cram the course into 1 year, which is fine). unfortunately this means i can't apply to uni this year because 1. i can't get a predicted grade for spanish and 2. i've left it really late and everyone's applying right now.

i thought i was fine with my decision to apply next year once i have my grades and take a gap year, but talking it over with my family i feel awful for having to take one, even though i don't regret taking spanish over philosophy at all. i'm just not sure if it was worth losing a year of my life for. (which as i type it sounds really stupid, but to me it really feels like taking a gap year atm is pointless and i hate not having anything to fill that space)

my senco said i could possibly go back and work at school for a year on the pastoral support team (i have some mental health training), which i'm not totally averse to but it's not ideal- and we're not sure if they'll accept someone straight from sixth form. my other option is to travel maybe? go back out to gambia? or something, but not having any concrete plans (bc i can't make any until i know if i can work in school) is terrifying.

i really just don't know what i'm doing, does anyone have advice?
There’s nothing wrong with a gap year, get a job and travel/save. I started uni this year and was actually surprised to see so many gap year and foundation students. A gap year is a good break before uni starts so take advantage of it
You could apply to uni on results day through clearing.
Original post by OR321
There’s nothing wrong with a gap year, get a job and travel/save. I started uni this year and was actually surprised to see so many gap year and foundation students. A gap year is a good break before uni starts so take advantage of it

thanks! yeah i think i'll try to lean into it a bit more... the thought of having that much time out makes me uncomfortable, but in all honesty it's probably a good thing for me to take a step back from academics! :h:
Original post by FutureMissMRCS
You could apply to uni on results day through clearing.

my school is really iffy about any application that isn't like... straight through ucas before one specific deadline etc. so it's been difficult to find out about clearing possibilities in regards to my specific situation (and it's unlikely they'll let me keep an open ucas application if i'm not submitting before then... if that's needed?), but i might try to get some more info and keep it in mind! thank you! :biggrin:
Reply 5
Which course at university?
Original post by ajj2000
Which course at university?

International relations! Preferably with a language- Spanish or French
Original post by honeyofcourse
my school is really iffy about any application that isn't like... straight through ucas before one specific deadline etc. so it's been difficult to find out about clearing possibilities in regards to my specific situation (and it's unlikely they'll let me keep an open ucas application if i'm not submitting before then... if that's needed?), but i might try to get some more info and keep it in mind! thank you! :biggrin:

You'll only find out what's in clearing when clearing opens - around july. There's nothing stopping you applying for a course in clearing on results day. If you really wanted to, you could set up a UCAS application on the very day of results day, as long as your school processes it and attaches references to it.
Reply 8
Original post by honeyofcourse
hey

i'm in year 13, studying politics, french and spanish. last year i studied philosophy but chose to switch to spanish this year (and cram the course into 1 year, which is fine). unfortunately this means i can't apply to uni this year because 1. i can't get a predicted grade for spanish and 2. i've left it really late and everyone's applying right now.

i thought i was fine with my decision to apply next year once i have my grades and take a gap year, but talking it over with my family i feel awful for having to take one, even though i don't regret taking spanish over philosophy at all. i'm just not sure if it was worth losing a year of my life for. (which as i type it sounds really stupid, but to me it really feels like taking a gap year atm is pointless and i hate not having anything to fill that space)

my senco said i could possibly go back and work at school for a year on the pastoral support team (i have some mental health training), which i'm not totally averse to but it's not ideal- and we're not sure if they'll accept someone straight from sixth form. my other option is to travel maybe? go back out to gambia? or something, but not having any concrete plans (bc i can't make any until i know if i can work in school) is terrifying.

i really just don't know what i'm doing, does anyone have advice?

Have you had a look at what is available for you to do in your gap year? I myself did and had the best experience, the company that employed me allowed me to work in a school but as a tutor. I was paid as well, unlike other gap year opportunities.

Taking a gap year isn't always the best option for everyone but if you want to make sure you are making the right choice when it comes to uni then I would highly recommend it, as it gives you time to look at all the options that you have available to you

Quick Reply

Latest