The Student Room Group

Science Jobs

What are the best science degrees to do that guarantee good jobs? (doesn't necessarily have to be jobs that pay 30-40k) just jobs for graduates?
My mum always said the jobs that are guaranteed are those that would be required in an apocalypse or WW3 such as doctor or engineer. I'm sure there are other guaranteed jobs that don't fall into this category but this was what I could think of.
Original post by Anonymous1348
What are the best science degrees to do that guarantee good jobs? (doesn't necessarily have to be jobs that pay 30-40k) just jobs for graduates?

What kinds of science jobs are you planning for your career? in general I think the industry has the best job perspective. You can work in that job field as a chemist, biochemist, bio- or chemicalengineer. Industry pays a good salary as a rule.
Original post by Kallisto
What kinds of science jobs are you planning for your career? in general I think the industry has the best job perspective. You can work in that job field as a chemist, biochemist, bio- or chemicalengineer. Industry pays a good salary as a rule.

I don't know maybe a biologist, chemist or biochemist etc. Is it possible to get a job after graduating in the industry so is it common?
The only really 'guaranteed' jobs are medicine,, dentistry, and nursing, maybe teaching, that's why there are so many unemployed graduates. I don't know about engineering etc. as that's not my field.
(edited 4 years ago)
I don't know maybe a biologist, chemist or biochemist etc. Is it possible to get a job after graduating in the industry so is it common?

With a study in chemistry or an engineering with reference to chemistry, you will for sure. Even a biochemist has good chances, pure biology study certainly too, although I can't name examples. Depends on in which industry you plan to work.
Original post by JamesManc
The only really 'guaranteed' jobs are medicine,, dentistry, and nursing, maybe teaching, that's why there are so many unemployed graduates. I don't know about engineering etc. as that's not my field.

That's what I've heard before:/
With a study in chemistry or an engineering with reference to chemistry, you will for sure. Even a biochemist has good chances, pure biology study certainly too, although I can't name examples. Depends on in which industry you plan to work.

I was thinking of doing Biology although I'm worried if I stick with what I like and pursue it, at the end I may be unemployed!!
That's what I've heard before:/

If you're talented and hard working you'll do well whatever course you do, and whether you go to uni or not. But with something like biology don't expect at the end you'll become a biologist, the odds are probably 10000/1 against, but you can get a graduate job such as banking, management etc. That's why *if it is possible* to do something that is more guaranteed to get you a job. I went to uni studying what I enjoyed most (psychology) not thinking it is almost impossible to get a job afterwards. So after being unemployed for a looonnggg time I went back and studied medicine.
(edited 4 years ago)
I was thinking of doing Biology although I'm worried if I stick with what I like and pursue it, at the end I may be unemployed!!

This is one of the main reasons why future students hestitate to take the study they like and I almost say to them that they have not to be afraid of, as job guarantee does never existed and will never exist no matter in what a profession. There are always more qualified employees than offered jobs, always! all tthe more in academic section!

But I will encourage you to take the study you seem to be passionate: biology is a versatile study in terms of job perspectives. Even if you can't work in industry, you have another chances in another sections, animal welfare and nature conservation for instance.
Original post by JamesManc
If you're talented and hard working you'll do well whatever course you do, and whether you go to uni or not. But with something like biology don't expect at the end you'll become a biologist, the odds are probably 10000/1 against, but you can get a graduate job such as banking, management etc. That's why *if it is possible* to do something that is more guaranteed to get you a job. I went to uni studying what I enjoyed most (psychology) not thinking it is almost impossible to get a job afterwards. So after being unemployed for a looonnggg time I went back and studied medicine.

Thank you so much for being honest, I love getting different insights. I think since i'd be studying it for so long and in such depth then I would want it to be something enjoyable. But thank you so much and I guess you're a doctor now?
This is one of the main reasons why future students hestitate to take the study they like and I almost say to them that they have not to be afraid of, as job guarantee does never existed and will never exist no matter in what a profession. There are always more qualified employees than offered jobs, always! all tthe more in academic section!

But I will encourage you to take the study you seem to be passionate: biology is a versatile study in terms of job perspectives. Even if you can't work in industry, you have another chances in another sections, animal welfare and nature conservation for instance.

That is very true! I just hope it all works out because It is such a scary and risky choice to make.
That is very true! I just hope it all works out because It is such a scary and risky choice to make.

You have to risk things in life sooner or later to realize your plans. Nothing what is worth to live for is without any efforts!
You have to risk things in life sooner or later to realize your plans. Nothing what is worth to live for is without any efforts!

That is very true! So far I've taken risks in all of my decisions and more or less they've resulted in me enjoying whatever I'm doing but also helping me too!! thank you so much for the help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending