The Student Room Group

do i need a degree in english language in order to teach english abroad?

or will any language degree suffice?
Reply 1
You don't need to have studied either English or a language degree to teach ESL abroad.
Reply 2
Original post by ajj2000
You don't need to have studied either English or a language degree to teach ESL abroad.

yeah but i want a well-paying ESL job, not one that doesnt pay good. Im assuming competition is high for well paying esl jobs though so surely i would need all the advantages i can get right?
Reply 3
Original post by lewis6969
yeah but i want a well-paying ESL job, not one that doesnt pay good. Im assuming competition is high for well paying esl jobs though so surely i would need all the advantages i can get right?

I think the higher paying jobs tend to be in Korea, China etc. Its worth looking over youtube videos about people teaching there and asking their advice.
Reply 4
Original post by ajj2000
I think the higher paying jobs tend to be in Korea, China etc. Its worth looking over youtube videos about people teaching there and asking their advice.

oh ok
Reply 5
Whilst I'm sure it's beneficial to have one you don't really need a degree at all. I dropped out of uni and applied for a position on a whim, had a Skype interview and succeeded in getting the job. I was so incredibly close to going, had started the visa process, been in touch with the embassy (primarily for advice) when I chickened out and withdrew. The pay was decent and enough to live off and I had the offer reviewed by an independent agency and it all checked out and was legit. I just changed my mind.
Reply 6
Original post by Marfyy2
Whilst I'm sure it's beneficial to have one you don't really need a degree at all. I dropped out of uni and applied for a position on a whim, had a Skype interview and succeeded in getting the job. I was so incredibly close to going, had started the visa process, been in touch with the embassy (primarily for advice) when I chickened out and withdrew. The pay was decent and enough to live off and I had the offer reviewed by an independent agency and it all checked out and was legit. I just changed my mind.

sounds lit
Bit of a zombie threat but for the sake of clarity, there are different requirements for different countries. Some places like Cambodia don't always require a degree. The requirements in China vary according to province and even city sometimes, a degree is usually expected for native speakers along with a 120 hour TEFL certificate. The requirements are stricter for non native speakers. In Korea and Japan I understand a degree is required but stand to be corrected as I know very little about teaching ESL in those countries.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending