The Student Room Group

why doesn't anyone want to be friends with me

I consider myself a really nice person. I have this tendency of being really empathetic and always treating others as I would like to be treated, but smh people just don't like me. They don't tell it to me on my face but I am never special to people, they never envite me to parties and they even envite other people in front of me. Sometimes I feel like I try to hard to make friends and they might feel annoyed. Can someone explain me what I am doing wrong?
Reply 1
Original post by lonbueno
I consider myself a really nice person. I have this tendency of being really empathetic and always treating others as I would like to be treated, but smh people just don't like me. They don't tell it to me on my face but I am never special to people, they never envite me to parties and they even envite other people in front of me. Sometimes I feel like I try to hard to make friends and they might feel annoyed. Can someone explain me what I am doing wrong?

Been there. Still am. The liklihood is they think youre weird. Hate to break it to you but people just dont like odd. Its almost as if it scares them. My advice is there is more than likly to be another person similar to you in your year. All you have to do is seek them out. Having a million friends and going to every party isnt everything. Trust me its better to have 1 or 2 close friends you know will always have your back than 10 or 20 that only give a **** when you cry. I learnt that the hard way. Also remember you wont be at this stage in life forever. Life moves on and with it you meet new people and let old ones go. Sure you'll keep in touch with some but everyone has their own life to lead. My best friend from high school is the only person I keep in contact with from back then. She has now moved to Canada to get married. My close friend fro sixth form and I only meet 2/3 times a year for lunch and a catch up. Another close friend I had for years, we had an argument and now no longer speak. Im currently in my 2nd year of uni. There is only one person in my year I consider my friend. They are the only person I really talk to as well. I dont even talk to my ex even though we broke up on good terms. We treat each other as though we're strangers. Life moves on and so will you.
Reply 2
Original post by Bham369
Been there. Still am. The liklihood is they think youre weird. Hate to break it to you but people just dont like odd. Its almost as if it scares them. My advice is there is more than likly to be another person similar to you in your year. All you have to do is seek them out. Having a million friends and going to every party isnt everything. Trust me its better to have 1 or 2 close friends you know will always have your back than 10 or 20 that only give a **** when you cry. I learnt that the hard way. Also remember you wont be at this stage in life forever. Life moves on and with it you meet new people and let old ones go. Sure you'll keep in touch with some but everyone has their own life to lead. My best friend from high school is the only person I keep in contact with from back then. She has now moved to Canada to get married. My close friend fro sixth form and I only meet 2/3 times a year for lunch and a catch up. Another close friend I had for years, we had an argument and now no longer speak. Im currently in my 2nd year of uni. There is only one person in my year I consider my friend. They are the only person I really talk to as well. I dont even talk to my ex even though we broke up on good terms. We treat each other as though we're strangers. Life moves on and so will you.

First of all sorry for the English mistakes, now that I read it again I realized how bad it looks. But anyway, ye ik I'm quite weird and it has been like this my entire life. I do have other friends but they live rly far.The thing is that I am a really outgoing person, I love to talk to people and as I said, going to parties, dancing and having fun. I don't treat my friends like **** or don't give them the love they deserve but I just wish they could be more outgoing and go out more. My bf is a DJ and he goes to shows almost every week but I can never go w him bc of college.
Ill just chill and understand that I just have to accept this...
Reply 3
First of all sorry for the English mistakes, now that I read it again I realized how bad it looks. But anyway, ye ik I'm quite weird and it has been like this my entire life. I do have other friends but they live rly far.The thing is that I am a really outgoing person, I love to talk to people and as I said, going to parties, dancing and having fun. I don't treat my friends like **** or don't give them the love they deserve but I just wish they could be more outgoing and go out more. My bf is a DJ and he goes to shows almost every week but I can never go w him bc of college.
Ill just chill and understand that I just have to accept this...

Seriously I get it. I'm extroverted but odd. I'm nice and always make an effort. The thing is and over time you will realise that if people don't like you or don't want to invite you they don't matter. If they only come to you when they want something they aren't true friends. It's better to have 1 true friend than 100 untrue ones. You won't be at this point in life forever. You will find friends, people who appreciate you for you. It's not going to happen overnight. But it will happen. For now keep ypur true friends close to your heart.

Ooo Boy I've been there. Maybe you're just not speaking to the right type of people? For example, I'm super introverted and prefer to march to my own drum in terms of fashion and interests. My flatmates are nice, but not my type of people so I know we're never going to be friends.

But you dont need tons of people to click with! Sometimes a smaller friendship circle is nice. All you do need is a few close friends, people who get you. The only way to find out who these are is to keep talking to people.
Reply 5
Original post by pivotalmoment
Ooo Boy I've been there. Maybe you're just not speaking to the right type of people? For example, I'm super introverted and prefer to march to my own drum in terms of fashion and interests. My flatmates are nice, but not my type of people so I know we're never going to be friends.

But you dont need tons of people to click with! Sometimes a smaller friendship circle is nice. All you do need is a few close friends, people who get you. The only way to find out who these are is to keep talking to people.

ye I know I talk to a lot of people but sometimes they don't even listen to me when I say some stuff, like if I weren't there you know, they just ignore what I say. I don't need a bunch of friends, but it would be nice to have a little group to hang out with. I have been talking to this girl who's really nice so let's see if we are getting anywhere... thank you for answering tho.

Quick Reply

Latest