The Student Room Group

DVSA App or Theory Test 4 in 1 App

Both the same price

Anyone know which one is better?
Hi there.

I was eager to pass my theory and don’t have natural road smarts, so ended up buying four apps: the DVSA bundle with hazard perception, theory test and Highway Code, then also the Theory 4 in 1 app too.

I would recommend if possible all of them as I mixed and matched, but if you don’t want to spend as much I’d recommend the Theory 4 in 1 app, as this had a range of everything and was fairly comprehensive.

So, I’d say go for the Theory 4 in 1 app, as this helped me the most. As long as you revise a fair bit and go through everything (especially hazard perception and road signs) you should be fine.
Reply 2
Original post by Mona123456
Hi there.

I was eager to pass my theory and don’t have natural road smarts, so ended up buying four apps: the DVSA bundle with hazard perception, theory test and Highway Code, then also the Theory 4 in 1 app too.

I would recommend if possible all of them as I mixed and matched, but if you don’t want to spend as much I’d recommend the Theory 4 in 1 app, as this had a range of everything and was fairly comprehensive.

So, I’d say go for the Theory 4 in 1 app, as this helped me the most. As long as you revise a fair bit and go through everything (especially hazard perception and road signs) you should be fine.

Thanks for the reply

I only want to buy one App. I have heard people say the DVSA app is the best but then also a lot have said the 4in1 is better so I think I will take your word for it?
Original post by 3mmz
Thanks for the reply

I only want to buy one App. I have heard people say the DVSA app is the best but then also a lot have said the 4in1 is better so I think I will take your word for it?

Honestly, it depends what you’re worst at. For me, I found memorising information fairly easy and the hazard perception i.e. practical part of the theory was the hardest. So, the 4 in 1 app had like 60+ hazard perception clips (whilst the DVSA hazard perception app only had around 20). The 4 in 1 app does have everything you need to know, as long as you fully use all sections of the app. So yes, I’d probably recommend that one the most. But, feel free to PM me if you need more advice or want more driving theory help (I passed my theory first time, for context). Good luck!
Reply 4
Honestly, it depends what you’re worst at. For me, I found memorising information fairly easy and the hazard perception i.e. practical part of the theory was the hardest. So, the 4 in 1 app had like 60+ hazard perception clips (whilst the DVSA hazard perception app only had around 20). The 4 in 1 app does have everything you need to know, as long as you fully use all sections of the app. So yes, I’d probably recommend that one the most. But, feel free to PM me if you need more advice or want more driving theory help (I passed my theory first time, for context). Good luck!

Hey
The 4 in 1 App - does it actually contain a revision section or is it just question because I know the DVSA app has a study section then you can attempt the questions....
I used the 4 in 1 app and it was really good.
Reply 6
I used the 4 in 1 app and passed first time. It was more than enough for revision material.
Original post by 3mmz
Hey
The 4 in 1 App - does it actually contain a revision section or is it just question because I know the DVSA app has a study section then you can attempt the questions....

Hi again.

I just checked the app and the Theory 4 in 1 app doesn’t have a revision section. You can do full mock tests, or practice questions on specific sections e.g. alertness. But, when you practice questions you can click an explanation button, so it is possible to just learn from scratch by doing the questions and reading through the explanations. Theory is a fair bit of common sense—so I reckon if you only want to get one app, you would still probably be able to learn the theory although there isn’t a revision section per se. However the app does have revision and practice sections for road signs, and the Highway Code, as well as lots of hazard perception practice, all of which is super helpful.

On the the other hand, the DVSA Theory Test app (not the bundle, just the single app) does have a more detailed revision section, then has plenty of mock tests and practice questions. You also do get the Highway Code as an extra within the app, and 20 hazard perception clips, but not much on road signs (it has the theory of them, but the other app has pictures and explains in more detail) and 20 hazard perception clips, which isn’t many if you’re like me and struggle with practical driving more than learning theory.

Personally, I used the DVSA theory test app revision section to learn the content, then did mock tests on the DVSA theory test app and Theory 4 in 1 app. Then I did the 20 hazard perception clips in the DVSA theory test app, 30 clips from the DVSA hazard perception app (I got the DVSA bundle with the theory test, hazard perception and Highway Code apps), plus the 60+ hazard perception clips from the Theory 4 in 1 app.

As I’ve mentioned before, if you only want to get one app, there isn’t a huge amount of difference between the DVSA theory test app and the Theory 4 in 1 app. If you can memorise information fairly easily and have already had some driving lessons so know the basics, but struggle with hazard perception, get the Theory 4 in 1 app. If you have good road sense and practical driving skills but find it difficult memorising information and knowing all the small details and formalities, the DVSA app is probably better because of the revision section. If I’m completely honest, I would 100% recommend getting both the DVSA theory test app and the Theory 4 in 1 app - I’m aware this would be £9.99 but it’s cheaper than having to resit, and the two apps combined do have literally everything, and lots of practice stuff, so if you worked hard and fully utilised them both you’d stand a much higher chance of passing first time.

If you’re still unsure, I’d google hazard perception tips, read through them then search free hazard perception tests and have a go at a few. If you fail them and/or find them really difficult, and despite doing a few of them your marks don’t improve much, then maybe go for the Theory 4 in 1 app as this has a lot lot more clips so you can really practice and get used to it. If you’re fairly happy you could improve your score without much effort and don’t struggle too much with it then go for the DVSA app. The choice really is about whether you want the in depth revision section of the DVSA app, or lots of extra hazard perception clips from the Theory 4 in 1 app. But personally, if at all possible I do think getting the DVSA and the Theory 4 in 1 gives you the best of both worlds.

Feel free to reply/PM if you have other questions, otherwise good luck!
Reply 8
Hi again.

I just checked the app and the Theory 4 in 1 app doesn’t have a revision section. You can do full mock tests, or practice questions on specific sections e.g. alertness. But, when you practice questions you can click an explanation button, so it is possible to just learn from scratch by doing the questions and reading through the explanations. Theory is a fair bit of common sense—so I reckon if you only want to get one app, you would still probably be able to learn the theory although there isn’t a revision section per se. However the app does have revision and practice sections for road signs, and the Highway Code, as well as lots of hazard perception practice, all of which is super helpful.

On the the other hand, the DVSA Theory Test app (not the bundle, just the single app) does have a more detailed revision section, then has plenty of mock tests and practice questions. You also do get the Highway Code as an extra within the app, and 20 hazard perception clips, but not much on road signs (it has the theory of them, but the other app has pictures and explains in more detail) and 20 hazard perception clips, which isn’t many if you’re like me and struggle with practical driving more than learning theory.

Personally, I used the DVSA theory test app revision section to learn the content, then did mock tests on the DVSA theory test app and Theory 4 in 1 app. Then I did the 20 hazard perception clips in the DVSA theory test app, 30 clips from the DVSA hazard perception app (I got the DVSA bundle with the theory test, hazard perception and Highway Code apps), plus the 60+ hazard perception clips from the Theory 4 in 1 app.

As I’ve mentioned before, if you only want to get one app, there isn’t a huge amount of difference between the DVSA theory test app and the Theory 4 in 1 app. If you can memorise information fairly easily and have already had some driving lessons so know the basics, but struggle with hazard perception, get the Theory 4 in 1 app. If you have good road sense and practical driving skills but find it difficult memorising information and knowing all the small details and formalities, the DVSA app is probably better because of the revision section. If I’m completely honest, I would 100% recommend getting both the DVSA theory test app and the Theory 4 in 1 app - I’m aware this would be £9.99 but it’s cheaper than having to resit, and the two apps combined do have literally everything, and lots of practice stuff, so if you worked hard and fully utilised them both you’d stand a much higher chance of passing first time.

If you’re still unsure, I’d google hazard perception tips, read through them then search free hazard perception tests and have a go at a few. If you fail them and/or find them really difficult, and despite doing a few of them your marks don’t improve much, then maybe go for the Theory 4 in 1 app as this has a lot lot more clips so you can really practice and get used to it. If you’re fairly happy you could improve your score without much effort and don’t struggle too much with it then go for the DVSA app. The choice really is about whether you want the in depth revision section of the DVSA app, or lots of extra hazard perception clips from the Theory 4 in 1 app. But personally, if at all possible I do think getting the DVSA and the Theory 4 in 1 gives you the best of both worlds.

Feel free to reply/PM if you have other questions, otherwise good luck!

Thanks soo much for the detailed response. I would rather have a revision section to read info so maybe the DVSA app is better for me. I don't want to be doing tests and just trying to memorise the answers. I will start with the DVSA for now and see how it goes...if I need more than ill buy the 4in1 app. The 4in1 has a higher rating on the Google store so its obviously very well rated.
Original post by 3mmz
Thanks soo much for the detailed response. I would rather have a revision section to read info so maybe the DVSA app is better for me. I don't want to be doing tests and just trying to memorise the answers. I will start with the DVSA for now and see how it goes...if I need more than ill buy the 4in1 app. The 4in1 has a higher rating on the Google store so its obviously very well rated.

You’re welcome. That sounds like a sensible plan. Good luck!
I had to redo my theory test again due to Covid and used test 4 in 1 app and passed first time. I recommend anyone to use this app and now hoping to pass the practical test first time this time round.
Original post by 3mmz
Both the same price

Anyone know which one is better?

I went DVSA
Reply 12
Hi, did you find that the DVSA app was enough?

Original post by 3mmz
Reply 13
hi there, don't know if this is still working but I want to start learning to drive soon. How should i go about revision, because i am getting confused with theory and practical.
i know about traffic signs and highway code but what else do i need/ what books do you recommend me studying from?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending