The Student Room Group

Philosophy Harvard Referencing

How do you reference a text from Plato in the Harvard reference style? I know our school wants us to include page numbers aswell as the stephanus pagination numbers.

Thank you
This was covered by TSR 8yrs ago.
Reply 2
Original post by DrSocSciences
This was covered by TSR 8yrs ago.

Why don't you link to it for the user, then?
Original post by jimbleby
Why don't you link to it for the user, then?

Because it was a quick find, and my work ethos is such that I prefer to signpost rather than remove all effort required on the part of the person making the request.
Reply 4
Original post by DrSocSciences
Because it was a quick find, and my work ethos is such that I prefer to signpost rather than remove all effort required on the part of the person making the request.

But if you're talking about this post from 8 years ago, I don't think it does answer the question. It just links to this Anglia Ruskin website and leaves you to search through a 63-page document, which doesn't (as far as I can see) specifically tell you how to use the Harvard system *and* Stephanus pagination.

Do you know a specific answer?

The original poster is not asking for someone to write an essay for them or anything. They're asking for a very specific piece of advice. It's like someone in a common room asking you for advice on how to do referencing and you saying "just go to the library". What's the point of this forum if not to give advice like this?
Reply 5
Give the stephanus first and the follow it with a new citation complete with page numbers according to the version you are using

A little cumbersome but I have sometimes had to do the same thing re PTS citations when translating from the Pāli Canon

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending