The Student Room Group

Pakistani Muslim parents about phones?

Hi,
Im in year 9 right now and im the only person in my school year (out of 180 people) who does not have a phone. My parents say they are doing it for my own benefit but I really want to broaden my social relationships and that doesn't work without a decent smartphone. Please hep?!?!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,
Im in year 9 right now and im the only person in my school year (out of 180 people) who does not have a phone. My parents say they are doing it for my own benefit but I really want to broaden my social relationships and that doesn't work without a decent smartphone. Please hep?!?!

bump
Reply 2
bump
My parents bought me my first phone in year 7 but with a condition. They said I’d have to give them my phone in the nights, I did this for a few days and all was well after that 😂
Reply 4
Original post by OR321
My parents bought me my first phone in year 7 but with a condition. They said I’d have to give them my phone in the nights, I did this for a few days and all was well after that 😂

ur so lucky i would do anything to have a phone
so embarrassing when my friends want to add me to a group chat or for my phone number :mad:
ur so lucky i would do anything to have a phone
so embarrassing when my friends want to add me to a group chat or for my phone number :mad:

Just tell them you’ll give it to them in the nights or when you’re working. After a few days they usually forget
Reply 6
Original post by SlightlySummer
What's being Muslim got to do with having a phone or not :lol:
Why don't you try and convince them about the benefits and come to an agreement about how long you use it for? Like use it for an hour max (a day) and then give it to your parents to look after, that way you won't waste time. That's what I had to do in year 9 lol

They're doing it to protect you from the dangers of social media, but it's also comforting to know you can protect yourself with one

well muslim parents do tend to be a bit over protective
i already tried that...didn't work :frown:
Reply 7
Original post by OR321
Just tell them you’ll give it to them in the nights or when you’re working. After a few days they usually forget

i already tried that as well. my parents are OVER OVER protective
they wouldn't let me go to a neighbour's bday party in year 1 lol
i already tried that as well. my parents are OVER OVER protective
they wouldn't let me go to a neighbour's bday party in year 1 lol

Ahaha I love how you still remember that. Is there anyway you could save up money and buy your own phone? Would that help
Not Pakistani but I got my first phone near the end of year 10 because I told them I needed it for a trip abroad. The extremes we have to go to...
Original post by Dunya
Not Pakistani but I got my first phone near the end of year 10 because I told them I needed it for a trip abroad. The extremes we have to go to...

ikr...so relatable
Original post by OR321
Ahaha I love how you still remember that. Is there anyway you could save up money and buy your own phone? Would that help

im too broke lmao
Original post by SlightlySummer
Can't you get an iPod? Which is essentially a phone, just without making calls of course. Although this defeats the purpose of a phone

they won't even let me have my own laptop-let alone an ipod
they said I have to keep away from electronics until im old and responsible enough
im too broke lmao

😂. Seems like you’ll just have to wait my friend.
I got a phone in Year 6 with Arab parents lmao. Culture/religion doesn't have much to do with it but just tell your parents you need it for school - group chats and whatever
Original post by OR321
😂. Seems like you’ll just have to wait my friend.

like i've never heard that before
Original post by dyingstudent101
I got a phone in Year 6 with Arab parents lmao. Culture/religion doesn't have much to do with it but just tell your parents you need it for school - group chats and whatever

i have a friend who's arab and she complains about her parents being strict
they go on about how there are computers in school and we have a shared computer at home so I won't have any educational use for the actual phone
i have a friend who's arab and she complains about her parents being strict
they go on about how there are computers in school and we have a shared computer at home so I won't have any educational use for the actual phone

So?
Original post by dyingstudent101
So?

so saying I need it for school won't help in any way
Get a pair or walkie talkies and give one to your favourite friend. Job done.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending