Is it really safe to drink tap water or is bottled better? Watch

s817
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I've just read on the internet that water treatment facilities can only remove 99.9% of micro plastics from water so we are consuming this plastic when drinking water or foods that are prepared with water and not to forget when eating fish as sea creatures are consuming plastic dumped in the sea/oceans and other water. These plastics can give health problems and even cancer. I'm so worried about this, I want to stop drinking water but can't. We need water to live so it's not an option to stop drinking water and sea creatures are dying from consuming plastic which isn't fair either. Is it really safe to drink water? Would it be better to switch to bottled water or is that the same thing as tap water?
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by s817)
I've just read on the internet
Never a good start

These plastics can give health problems and even cancer.
Who says? The internet...? This is overhyped rubbish, I'm afraid.

I'm so worried about this, I want to stop drinking water but can't. We need water to live so it's not an option to stop drinking water and sea creatures are dying from consuming plastic which isn't fair either. Is it really safe to drink water? Would it be better to switch to bottled water or is that the same thing as tap water?
Stop fretting. We have some of the highest drinking water standards in this country. Tap water is perfectly safe to drink and, from a microbiological point of view, freshly drawn tap water is much safer than standard bottled water.
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Bottled water is often tap water but with a disgustingly high markup, and it also would contain microplastics. But they are not a health concern in those quantities. Basically there is nothing wrong with tap water in this country.
Puzzled11
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
There is no conclusive evidence that these microplastics cause what you have listed, but that is not to say that they don't. It just isn't known at the moment, so don't fret unnecessarily.

Bottled water? Normally in plastic bottles aren't they? You'll get the microplastics from these plastic bottles in the water too, perhaps even at higher concentrations than tap water. Also, the costs and the environmental effects of all these discarded plastic bottles.. just don't do it, tap water is perfectly fine.
Oxford Mum
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by s817)
I've just read on the internet that water treatment facilities can only remove 99.9% of micro plastics from water so we are consuming this plastic when drinking water or foods that are prepared with water and not to forget when eating fish as sea creatures are consuming plastic dumped in the sea/oceans and other water. These plastics can give health problems and even cancer. I'm so worried about this, I want to stop drinking water but can't. We need water to live so it's not an option to stop drinking water and sea creatures are dying from consuming plastic which isn't fair either. Is it really safe to drink water? Would it be better to switch to bottled water or is that the same thing as tap water?
Depends where you live, but in the UK tap water is fine to drink. I drink tap water several times a day, and I'm still alive...

If you constantly drink bottled water it can get very expensive.
username4169146
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
try a water filter.
Lyndsey.95
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I drink bottled water
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (273)
66.1%
No (140)
33.9%

Watched Threads