Tutoring when in sixth form- a good or bad idea? Watch

aeneas_son
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
i'm just a poor sixth form student trying to help out her parents. tuition seems like an easy way to get a decent amount of money, and i've got a good few relatives willing to pay me if i tutor their children. but i am a bit worried if it'll get in between my studies?

how easy is it to balance a job and a levels?
ArabLlama
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by aeneas_son)
i'm just a poor sixth form student trying to help out her parents. tuition seems like an easy way to get a decent amount of money, and i've got a good few relatives willing to pay me if i tutor their children. but i am a bit worried if it'll get in between my studies?

It’s different for everyone, you won’t know until you try. Just make sure you give a warning to the parents and make sure they are comfortable with it
Scotney
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ArabLlama)
It’s different for everyone, you won’t know until you try. Just make sure you give a warning to the parents and make sure they are comfortable with it
Perfectly possible just set your hours and stick to them.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

No - don't do it - you don't have the experience or knowledge really yet. What happens if they don't do well and pass? How will you deal with that? Where will you tutor them? There are safeguarding issues for both you and the student.
Scotney
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Alternatively you could tutor at Explore Learning or Kip McGraph for hourly rate but of course it would be less lucrative but also possibly less stressful. Depends on ages of relatives kids. Primary kids will be no problem.
aeneas_son
Rep:
?
(Original post by Muttley79)
No - don't do it - you don't have the experience or knowledge really yet. What happens if they don't do well and pass? How will you deal with that? Where will you tutor them? There are safeguarding issues for both you and the student.
yeah, that makes sense. i talked to the parent that wanted me to tutor her child and told her to not pay me until she sees an improvement in her daughter's results, which i think would be a lot better else i think i'd be robbing their money lmao.

(Original post by Scotney)
Perfectly possible just set your hours and stick to them.
the only thing im worried about is the fact that im doing 4 a levels. i believe that i will be able to keep on top of it but i dont want to overwhelm myself too much? i just wanna know if you know people who managed to do a part time job like this and still get good grades by the end of it. i wasnt planning to continue it into year 13 anyway because i just dont want to risk it.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Alternatively you could tutor at Explore Learning or Kip McGraph for hourly rate but of course it would be less lucrative but also possibly less stressful. Depends on ages of relatives kids. Primary kids will be no problem.
I'd avoid both of these from what I hear.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
yeah, that makes sense. i talked to the parent that wanted me to tutor her child and told her to not pay me until she sees an improvement in her daughter's results, which i think would be a lot better else i think i'd be robbing their money lmao.

the only thing im worried about is the fact that im doing 4 a levels. i believe that i will be able to keep on top of it but i dont want to overwhelm myself too much? i just wanna know if you know people who managed to do a part time job like this and still get good grades by the end of it. i wasnt planning to continue it into year 13 anyway because i just dont want to risk it.
Don't do it for no pay at all! Four A levels is enough - don't compromise your grades for this.
Scotney
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

My niece worked at Explore Learning all the way through 6th form up to Easter before the exams .Grades A*AA so can be done.
Scotney
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'd avoid both of these from what I hear.
Plenty of 6th formers work part time jobs and I know several who have enjoyed their time at both these places.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Plenty of 6th formers work part time jobs and I know several who have enjoyed their time at both these places.
They are franchises so some may be OK. There are better jobs out there rather than 'dodgy' tutoring.
aeneas_son
Rep:
?
They are franchises so some may be OK. There are better jobs out there rather than 'dodgy' tutoring.
tutoring seems the easiest since i feel like i would be getting my own practise, but also its something id be more qualified for than most other kinda well paid part-time jobs

Don't do it for no pay at all! Four A levels is enough - don't compromise your grades for this.
that kind of escaped me oops. problem is that she wants tutoring in physics, and i dont do physics anymore, so you're right without pay it would be a waste of time.

the thing that sucks is that the mum is an acquaintance who i barely talk to- i have no idea how to tell her when i decide that i do want to start to get paid without sounding greedy. some of these mothers are just hungry for free tutoring, and even though i dont want to start off with being paid i definitely dont want to go without pay at all.
Scotney
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
tutoring seems the easiest since i feel like i would be getting my own practise, but also its something id be more qualified for than most other kinda well paid part-time jobs

that kind of escaped me oops. problem is that she wants tutoring in physics, and i dont do physics anymore, so you're right without pay it would be a waste of time.

the thing that sucks is that the mum is an acquaintance who i barely talk to- i have no idea how to tell her when i decide that i do want to start to get paid without sounding greedy. some of these mothers are just hungry for free tutoring, and even though i dont want to start off with being paid i definitely dont want to go without pay at all.
Just tell her you have had a rethink and will be charging £15 an hour if she wants to proceed. Done.
aeneas_son
Rep:
?
Just tell her you have had a rethink and will be charging £15 an hour if she wants to proceed. Done.
im gonna develop the balls to do that eventually. although i guess there's no point in sugarcoating it when its my time im giving. thank you for this!!
circleofsighs
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
hi! i tutored during a levels and found it actually really helped with revision- i was tutoring gcse maths and physics and a level maths so that obviously helped in maths and physics! it won’t compromise your grades, trust me. i worked at mcdonalds at least twice a week up until the april of my a levels, it’s totally possible to work part time and do well! (i did 4 too!)
aeneas_son
Rep:
?
(Original post by circleofsighs)
hi! i tutored during a levels and found it actually really helped with revision- i was tutoring gcse maths and physics and a level maths so that obviously helped in maths and physics! it won’t compromise your grades, trust me. i worked at mcdonalds at least twice a week up until the april of my a levels, it’s totally possible to work part time and do well! (i did 4 too!)
that gives me a lot of hope! but did you feel stressed at all balancing both?

in gcse i put WAY too much effort into everything, and whilst it paid off i realised i wasted so much time and caused myself a lot of mental greif. and now im feeling a bit lost at a level because i dont know how much stress is too little (im trying to take it slow right now because i dont want to go through that again), but how much stress is necessary, and how much is too much.
circleofsighs
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
that gives me a lot of hope! but did you feel stressed at all balancing both?

in gcse i put WAY too much effort into everything, and whilst it paid off i realised i wasted so much time and caused myself a lot of mental greif. and now im feeling a bit lost at a level because i dont know how much stress is too little (im trying to take it slow right now because i dont want to go through that again), but how much stress is necessary, and how much is too much.
i was in the exact same situation! when i wasn’t stressed i got stressed about not being stressed. you get used to it though, i promise. you just get into the swing of exams, because you’ll have done it for years by then. a levels were definitely less stressful than GCSEs because i kind of knew how to cope by then? it was weird.
i found mcdonalds pretty stressful when i had too many shifts tbh, but tutoring was great because even on days when i was revising it felt like a break that wasn’t too much. like it was still relevant. i’d definitely recommend tutoring gcse if you want it to feel like you’re learning too!
aeneas_son
Rep:
?
(Original post by circleofsighs)
i was in the exact same situation! when i wasn’t stressed i got stressed about not being stressed. you get used to it though, i promise. you just get into the swing of exams, because you’ll have done it for years by then. a levels were definitely less stressful than GCSEs because i kind of knew how to cope by then? it was weird.
i found mcdonalds pretty stressful when i had too many shifts tbh, but tutoring was great because even on days when i was revising it felt like a break that wasn’t too much. like it was still relevant. i’d definitely recommend tutoring gcse if you want it to feel like you’re learning too!
thank you! i've thought about it quite a bit and i think that's what im gonna do. tutoring for gcse seems like it would be the best for me, considering it's not at too much of a lower level that it's irrelevant (because a lot of a level has a lot of GCSE in it anyway), and it hasnt been too long since GCSEs so hopefully i havent forgotten it all lmao.

thank you for all your help!
circleofsighs
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
thank you! i've thought about it quite a bit and i think that's what im gonna do. tutoring for gcse seems like it would be the best for me, considering it's not at too much of a lower level that it's irrelevant (because a lot of a level has a lot of GCSE in it anyway), and it hasnt been too long since GCSEs so hopefully i havent forgotten it all lmao.

thank you for all your help!
you’re welcome! have fun tutoring, it’s great! and good luck in your a levels!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you work while at uni?

Yes I work at university (26)
30.59%
No I don't (42)
49.41%
I work during the holidays (17)
20%

Watched Threads