The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Just take care to check the difference between entry requirements and NHS funding available for the undergrad course vs the postgrad course. Usmaan Mohamed
Original post by ambercairney
I’m doing the same, can’t think of any reason why it would be a bad idea

Ah nice, good luck with both!
I think they do sometimes offer A100 interviews to applicants who apply for A101, don't meet the requirements, but do satisfy the requirements for A100. I think the interview:redface:ffer ratio is supposed to be pretty good for A100. There was a graduate last year who wasn't eligible for the A101 course but got an offer for A100.
Hello all,
I am new to using the student room - sorry in advance if I make a mistake, I recently submitted my application for the A101 at Sheffield for 2020 and currently work as a pharmacist.

Just wondering if there are any other pharmacists applying at Sheffield or if anyone else wants to share which profession they work in currently or if still studying, what degree they are currently studying.

I am interested in hearing from you all.
Original post by usmaan mohamed
Hello all,
I am new to using the student room - sorry in advance if I make a mistake, I recently submitted my application for the A101 at Sheffield for 2020 and currently work as a pharmacist.

Just wondering if there are any other pharmacists applying at Sheffield or if anyone else wants to share which profession they work in currently or if still studying, what degree they are currently studying.

Hello! I'm a medical secretary myself, although I am hoping to move into a clinical support worker role soon as I want to be more directly involved in patient care. Worried about the pay cut though, so going to see if there's any scope for doing both jobs part time.

We had a clinical pharmacist apply last year, who got an offer but went to Birmingham instead.
Hello all,

Hey! I'm currently a hospital pre-reg pharmacist. The plan for me is to finish (and pass!) pre-reg in June and hopefully start med school in September depending on how things go!

Original post by BoilingMarmalade
Hello! I'm a medical secretary myself, although I am hoping to move into a clinical support worker role soon as I want to be more directly involved in patient care. Worried about the pay cut though, so going to see if there's any scope for doing both jobs part time.

We had a clinical pharmacist apply last year, who got an offer but went to Birmingham instead.

Going through uni is going to be costly so I'll be looking to work part time too. I read that you had an interview last year so you'll probably get one this year too which should be a relief. Best of luck to you!
I have submitted! And I've just sent them an email asking if I can have some feedback from last year's interview. I was on the reserve list for Sheffield last year but rejected outright from everywhere else. I've never been great at interviews as I'm naturally more of a listener, which I've found is what patients like about me (one told me that the other day in fact) but it doesn't help when I've got a mere 5-8 minutes to convince an interviewer of my suitability for medicine!

Good luck everyone - if it's anything like last year, it will feel like we're all family by the time this is over :smile:
Original post by Pseudovyn
Hey! I'm currently a hospital pre-reg pharmacist. The plan for me is to finish (and pass!) pre-reg in June and hopefully start med school in September depending on how things go!

Going through uni is going to be costly so I'll be looking to work part time too. I read that you had an interview last year so you'll probably get one this year too which should be a relief. Best of luck to you!

Best of luck with your pre-reg and good to hear there is another MPharm graduate applying.
Original post by BoilingMarmalade
I have submitted! And I've just sent them an email asking if I can have some feedback from last year's interview. I was on the reserve list for Sheffield last year but rejected outright from everywhere else. I've never been great at interviews as I'm naturally more of a listener, which I've found is what patients like about me (one told me that the other day in fact) but it doesn't help when I've got a mere 5-8 minutes to convince an interviewer of my suitability for medicine!

Good luck everyone - if it's anything like last year, it will feel like we're all family by the time this is over :smile:

It sounds like you gained a lot of experience from the interviews you attended last year. Any tips or advice without breaching any of the terms of the group.

Likewise if I can open the question up to all. I have not had an interview of any kind for a while now so would be good to hear some advice from others.
It sounds like you gained a lot of experience from the interviews you attended last year. Any tips or advice without breaching any of the terms of the group.

Likewise if I can open the question up to all. I have not had an interview of any kind for a while now so would be good to hear some advice from others.

Where else have you applied? Sheffield do a multiple mini interview, 8 stations, 8 minutes each and you will normally have about three questions to answer at each one. Each station has a score out of 5. Your SJT band from your UCAT is marked as an imaginary 9th station, with band 1 = 5 points, band 2 = 4 points etc.

I think the best thing about the Sheffield MMI is that they don't do role plays. Instead, they have a patient volunteer for you to chat with about their condition and the patient will score you based on how well you interact with them.
I've submitted! Exciting! :smile: Hopefully I get an interview :smile:
Just submitted also. I've also applied to Manchester (undergrad), Newcastle (undergrad) and Anglia Ruskin (undergrad). Good luck everyone! Also, has anyone submitted the Widening Participation form straight away or are you waiting for someone to e-mail you it first?
Original post by Cellular-Suicide
Just submitted also. I've also applied to Manchester (undergrad), Newcastle (undergrad) and Anglia Ruskin (undergrad). Good luck everyone! Also, has anyone submitted the Widening Participation form straight away or are you waiting for someone to e-mail you it first?

I was planning on just waiting until they email first, as I imagine they're dealing with a huge influx of applications from undergrad and a chunk from grad.

Very exciting – best of luck to you! I've applied for GEM at Sheffield, Cambridge, Warwick and QMUL :smile:
I've only applied for Sheffield A101 this year. I'm not in a position to leave Sheffield right now and I'm too poor to do A100.

They will send out the WP form, so I'll just fill it in and send it back then.

I was sent an email first from the university requesting me to complete the WP form. I have completed the form and submitted a scanned copy on an email.
I was sent an email first from the university requesting me to complete the WP form. I have completed the form and submitted a scanned copy on an email.

When did you get this email? Was it before or after you sent in your application via UCAS?
When did you get this email? Was it before or after you sent in your application via UCAS?

To be precise; I submitted my application to UCAS on 1/10/19, I then received an email from Sheffield Uni on 2/10/19 confirming they received the application and then on 4/10/19 I received an email requesting the WP form.

I hope that clarifies.
To be precise; I submitted my application to UCAS on 1/10/19, I then received an email from Sheffield Uni on 2/10/19 confirming they received the application and then on 4/10/19 I received an email requesting the WP form.

I hope that clarifies.

Ah yeah that explains it thank you. I submitted late on the 14th so should expect an email soon
Ah yeah that explains it thank you. I submitted late on the 14th so should expect an email soon

You don't have to wait for an email to complete the form! You can download it here: https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/polopoly_fs/1.842106!/file/A101WPQuestionairre2020.pdf (source: https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/medicine/prospective_ug/applying/graduateentry)

I applied on Saturday (12/10) and got an email on Monday (14/10) asking for my form. So I would expect that you'll get an email before the end of this week!

Good luck everyone :biggrin:
I submitted on the 12th and got the email with the form today.

Last year for my mum's occupation I put down what she was doing when I did my first lot of A levels (the ones that weren't good enough for this course), but I don't think they actually specify at what point they want to know your parents' occupation. I'm wondering if I should just put down everything she's done, I'm sure all her previous jobs will fit the criteria.

Latest

Trending

Trending