The Student Room Group

Grow Your Grade #1

Hey there! So... I didn’t actually end up doing any revision myself this evening as I’ve been on geography field work all day and was too tired to when I got in! I also won’t be able to do any this weekend as I’ll be on a DofE practice expedition but I’ll be making up my daily revision on Monday. But tonight I had my maths tutor as maths is my worst subject and we went though some stuff I wasn’t understanding in lesson and he also taught me some stuff which I’m not going to be learning in class as I’m in too low a set but he really wants to see me doing well! He set me a past paper to do by next Friday so we can see my progress. In the last paper he set me I was one mark off a b :frown: but I really feel like past papers help me in maths as it’s actually giving me questions rather than just facts.

Anyway, that’s all for today x

Scroll to see replies

What year are you in?
Original post by _Mia101
What year are you in?

Year 11 x
Original post by mildredofthetaco
Year 11 x

Ah ok. Good luck :rave:
Hey there! So... I didn’t actually end up doing any revision myself this evening as I’ve been on geography field work all day and was too tired to when I got in! I also won’t be able to do any this weekend as I’ll be on a DofE practice expedition but I’ll be making up my daily revision on Monday. But tonight I had my maths tutor as maths is my worst subject and we went though some stuff I wasn’t understanding in lesson and he also taught me some stuff which I’m not going to be learning in class as I’m in too low a set but he really wants to see me doing well! He set me a past paper to do by next Friday so we can see my progress. In the last paper he set me I was one mark off a b :frown: but I really feel like past papers help me in maths as it’s actually giving me questions rather than just facts.

Having a relaxing evening is perfectly fine :biggrin:

I hope the practice papers help you!
Me too!
Original post by _Mia101
Ah ok. Good luck :rave:

Thank you x

Hey guys!
I was planning on uploading every few days but I’ve just been way to busy this week lol. I don’t know how teachers expect us to revise when they just pile homework on top of us! But this week I’ve been revising a lot in the school library and I’ve found that it really helps. I’ve also ditched my method of writing all my notes in a notebook then change them to flash cards and have now just started making flash cards directly from revision guides/my school books and have found it way more practical. My mum and I also went to b&m today to get a drawer caddy thing to put all my school books and revision downstairs in the porch instead of it all just being dumped in my wardrobe (I’ll probably show that in my next post because I’m really happy with it). I completed my maths past paper, it didn’t go too well but it went well enough. I got a c, it was a non calculator paper and they’re always my worst so I guess it wasn’t too bad. As for history, I’m in the process of making flashcards and using Seneca. Seneca is amazing for all subjects but I find it really helps with history, science and geography. I’ve also been using my freesciencelessons workbooks and I love them! I find them way more engaging than actual note taking and I feel like I’m actually learning. I’ve also asked my chemistry teacher to print me off an exam paper so I’ll be getting that tomorrow. Over half term I’m planning on making flashcards from all of my lessons this year so far so I’m not left doing it in January but I’m also integrating all of my year 10 stuff as well. I’ve also been going to the history revision sessions my school has been offering and I’ve found they’ve really helped with timelines and overviews of all of the topics.

That’s all I have for today, have a nice night! X
Hey guys!
I was planning on uploading every few days but I’ve just been way to busy this week lol. I don’t know how teachers expect us to revise when they just pile homework on top of us! But this week I’ve been revising a lot in the school library and I’ve found that it really helps. I’ve also ditched my method of writing all my notes in a notebook then change them to flash cards and have now just started making flash cards directly from revision guides/my school books and have found it way more practical. My mum and I also went to b&m today to get a drawer caddy thing to put all my school books and revision downstairs in the porch instead of it all just being dumped in my wardrobe (I’ll probably show that in my next post because I’m really happy with it). I completed my maths past paper, it didn’t go too well but it went well enough. I got a c, it was a non calculator paper and they’re always my worst so I guess it wasn’t too bad. As for history, I’m in the process of making flashcards and using Seneca. Seneca is amazing for all subjects but I find it really helps with history, science and geography. I’ve also been using my freesciencelessons workbooks and I love them! I find them way more engaging than actual note taking and I feel like I’m actually learning. I’ve also asked my chemistry teacher to print me off an exam paper so I’ll be getting that tomorrow. Over half term I’m planning on making flashcards from all of my lessons this year so far so I’m not left doing it in January but I’m also integrating all of my year 10 stuff as well. I’ve also been going to the history revision sessions my school has been offering and I’ve found they’ve really helped with timelines and overviews of all of the topics.

That’s all I have for today, have a nice night! X

Okay so I didn’t do a gyg last week because I’ve been suuuupper busy! I’ve been doing so much revision lately it’s crazy. However, to make up for my subsequent lack of posts I’ll try and post three to four times this week to subsidise. Most of my lunchtimes have been spent in the library doing revision which my maths teacher set me on mathswatch as I’m finding it really useful. I got my chemistry past paper, I haven’t done it yet as I’ve just been far too busy but I’m hoping to get that done this weekend to see what I need to work on. Tonight I made a few geography flashcards which I’m not really happy with as I feel like they don’t have enough info so I’ll probably end up scrapping them and making new ones.

I’ve also been quite stressed about all the planning and revision and I think it’s really important to wind down. I like to wind down (especially on a Thursday) by making a big hot chocolate covered with canned cream and watching TV. I love Thursdays because a new episode of RuPauls drag race is out. I’m so happy divina won the Ru Peter badge today!!

Anyway, I digress, yeah I’ll probably end up redoing my geography flash cards and I need to make a revision timetable as well so I’ll be busting myself with that this weekend.

That’s all for today xx
Okay so I didn’t do a gyg last week because I’ve been suuuupper busy! I’ve been doing so much revision lately it’s crazy. However, to make up for my subsequent lack of posts I’ll try and post three to four times this week to subsidise. Most of my lunchtimes have been spent in the library doing revision which my maths teacher set me on mathswatch as I’m finding it really useful. I got my chemistry past paper, I haven’t done it yet as I’ve just been far too busy but I’m hoping to get that done this weekend to see what I need to work on. Tonight I made a few geography flashcards which I’m not really happy with as I feel like they don’t have enough info so I’ll probably end up scrapping them and making new ones.

I’ve also been quite stressed about all the planning and revision and I think it’s really important to wind down. I like to wind down (especially on a Thursday) by making a big hot chocolate covered with canned cream and watching TV. I love Thursdays because a new episode of RuPauls drag race is out. I’m so happy divina won the Ru Peter badge today!!

Anyway, I digress, yeah I’ll probably end up redoing my geography flash cards and I need to make a revision timetable as well so I’ll be busting myself with that this weekend.

That’s all for today xx

Soooo, it’s half term now! It’s supposed to be a time of relaxation and a break but nooooo I’ve got to revise. But I am visiting my nanas in the north east so I doubt I’ll even have enough time to a lot of revision as my whole family has a lot planned for me! I do plan on doing at least a bit everyday-even if it is just going over a few flashcards, which I finally have pictures of!- but yeah I do need to buckle down now. My school has moved my mocks from starting on the 25th November to sometime in the middle in December. The plus is that I get more time to revise, the negative is that it’s going to be Christmas and I won’t even be able to think about that because of my exams. I’m defo going to be doing some revision tomorrow because I don’t think anything has been planned so it’s my perfect opportunity. Also I finally found friends at school-I’ve been having a bit of a rough time lately and it’s nice to have people that can tolerate me around lol. Anyway-here’s the flash cards I’ve made so far. I know it’s not a lot but I have been doing other bits of revision with them. The yellow is food and nutrition, blue is geography and pink is history!

Also I’ve got a revision timetable- I’m using the beta version of adapt because I signed up the waitlist and I’m currently really enjoying it. The layout is super simple and it’s very flexible and customisable to your own needs. I do like the TSR one but I think the adapt one will be better for me because I can choose all my topics and stuff. So far, would highly recommend.

That’s all for today xx
(edited 4 years ago)
Soooo, it’s half term now! It’s supposed to be a time of relaxation and a break but nooooo I’ve got to revise. But I am visiting my nanas in the north east so I doubt I’ll even have enough time to a lot of revision as my whole family has a lot planned for me! I do plan on doing at least a bit everyday-even if it is just going over a few flashcards, which I finally have pictures of!- but yeah I do need to buckle down now. My school has moved my mocks from starting on the 25th November to sometime in the middle in December. The plus is that I get more time to revise, the negative is that it’s going to be Christmas and I won’t even be able to think about that because of my exams. I’m defo going to be doing some revision tomorrow because I don’t think anything has been planned so it’s my perfect opportunity. Also I finally found friends at school-I’ve been having a bit of a rough time lately and it’s nice to have people that can tolerate me around lol. Anyway-here’s the flash cards I’ve made so far. I know it’s not a lot but I have been doing other bits of revision with them. The yellow is food and nutrition, blue is geography and pink is history!

Also I’ve got a revision timetable- I’m using the beta version of adapt because I signed up the waitlist and I’m currently really enjoying it. The layout is super simple and it’s very flexible and customisable to your own needs. I do like the TSR one but I think the adapt one will be better for me because I can choose all my topics and stuff. So far, would highly recommend.

That’s all for today xx

Hello! So, I’ve managed to complete every bit of homework I had to do (until I get set new ones 🙄). But I’m feeling really good about that, now I have time to focus on things that actually need doing... revision! I’ve made a few chemistry flash cards, I’ve done a maths past paper, I’ve gone over some history work and watched a few free science lessons so far. That’s pretty much what I did over the holidays lol. I know it’s not much but at least it’s something. Anyway, I’ve discovered my favourite in between revision snack: special K! It’s so amazing and provides a great energy boost because it’s full of fibre. I love it! I’ve made chemistry flash cards about quantitative chemistry and energy changes (but boring but it needed to be done). Oh I also got set English homework to complete a last exam question about poetry. I’m really struggling with poetry, I don’t know how to answer the questions. My teacher keeps telling me that I’m making ‘sweeping statements’ but I don’t understand why because I always justify and analyse my points.

Anyway, I’ve gotta go for now because I have to get ready for school 💕💕
Hello! So, I’ve managed to complete every bit of homework I had to do (until I get set new ones 🙄). But I’m feeling really good about that, now I have time to focus on things that actually need doing... revision! I’ve made a few chemistry flash cards, I’ve done a maths past paper, I’ve gone over some history work and watched a few free science lessons so far. That’s pretty much what I did over the holidays lol. I know it’s not much but at least it’s something. Anyway, I’ve discovered my favourite in between revision snack: special K! It’s so amazing and provides a great energy boost because it’s full of fibre. I love it! I’ve made chemistry flash cards about quantitative chemistry and energy changes (but boring but it needed to be done). Oh I also got set English homework to complete a last exam question about poetry. I’m really struggling with poetry, I don’t know how to answer the questions. My teacher keeps telling me that I’m making ‘sweeping statements’ but I don’t understand why because I always justify and analyse my points.

Anyway, I’ve gotta go for now because I have to get ready for school 💕💕

Special K really is a great revision snack! I can't believe more people haven't caught on yet :laugh:
Original post by QueenAelin
Special K really is a great revision snack! I can't believe more people haven't caught on yet :laugh:

absolutely! also, stupid question here but do you know how to see where you've posted these threads? I'm doing these for grow your grades but I don't know if I've actually posted it int he forum lol
absolutely! also, stupid question here but do you know how to see where you've posted these threads? I'm doing these for grow your grades but I don't know if I've actually posted it int he forum lol

It's in the right forum! Somewhere around the top/middle left of the screen, you should see something like "My TSR... Study Help > Grow Your Grades 2019/2020! Click on the 2019/2020 link and it'll take you to the forum!
It's in the right forum! Somewhere around the top/middle left of the screen, you should see something like "My TSR... Study Help > Grow Your Grades 2019/2020! Click on the 2019/2020 link and it'll take you to the forum!

thank you! I've been doing this all from mobile (maybe not the best idea) and this is my first time properly using TSR. Thanks so much for your help :biggrin:
Original post by 5hyl33n
Good luck with your GYG! Good to know you have created a revision timetable - that will really help. Also, your flashcards look great!

✌👌😊📒📔📓📕📗📘📙📚✏✒📝

I've been making some more and it's taking me sooooo long lmao
hey guys!
feeling really motivated to post after finishing a revision session today! So, what have I been up to? well, there's quite a bit. I got my mock timetable which is very stressful as I just have basically a week straight of exams and then another week which has way less but I still hate looking at it. I made a revision timetable on the TSR study planner and I'm breaking down my sessions into sub-topics on adapt app. My first exam is geography on the 22nd Nov but they did spring these mocks on us very suddenly so I haven't got enough time to full make flash cards on everything, I'm just making them on my case studies and then using seneca for everything else.
I wanted to do revision yesterday but I was at my friend's 16th birthday party, I didn't get much done because I got back at like 10pm lol. Today I went out into town to get a few bits for my shoebox which I'm giving to the samaritan's purse to give to a child at christmas. I bought an unruled note book from sostrene greene (they have really cute stationery in there btw!), a pack of pens, a set with pencils, a pencil sharpener and a ruler, a pack of 3 scrunchies and a hairbrush. I'm really hoping the girl it gets sent to likes it! Today I also went into quiz and picked my prom dress, I went into quiz because my sister works there and I get 50% off lmao.

Anyway, enough of that! Revision wise today I've done quite a bit! My friend taught me about the Pomodoro method and I've really been liking it!
Basically:
25mins revision
5 min break
25mins revision
5minn break
25mins revision
15min break
and then repeat!
Anyhow, this week I've made 5 English lit posters which I've stuck up on the wall opposite my bed, I've made a history poster and I've made 2 bilogy posters. I also made some more flashcards for geography-these ones were about hurricane Katrina (more like hurricane tortilla) because she's my tropical storm case study. I'm also gonna attach a picture of my current room situation-there is mess EVERYWHERE and it's all school stuff, I have no where to put it! I bought a chest of drawers specifically for school stuff but since the I have accumulate so much school stuff that the drawers can no longer contain it!
I've also attached a picture of the drawers because I just feel like they're my only support mechanism right now lol. In the top drawer I have revision guides and flashcards, in the second drawer I have three folders (one of which barely closes because if the amount of stuff which is piled in it) the third drawer has notebooks and plastic wallets and the last drawer has all my year 11 books in it.

Just for clarification I feel like I should also say what I'm actually studying for GCSE lol, I realised I never actually stated it!
What do you think I took?

Spoiler

Your posters look great! I’d never thought to hang them up around my room before, I’m going to have to steal that idea :laugh: Also, you’re a braver woman than I am, I’d never have the courage to do geography and history at the same time! Are you finding it difficult or is it easier than everyone says?
Your posters look great! I’d never thought to hang them up around my room before, I’m going to have to steal that idea :laugh: Also, you’re a braver woman than I am, I’d never have the courage to do geography and history at the same time! Are you finding it difficult or is it easier than everyone says?

It’s difficult, but it is a lot easier than everyone claims. The main problem is that they’re both so content heavy. But having taken both, I way prefer geography and I even want to do it at a level 💕💓
It’s difficult, but it is a lot easier than everyone claims. The main problem is that they’re both so content heavy. But having taken both, I way prefer geography and I even want to do it at a level 💕💓

Geography is a great subject at A-level! Do you think you’ll go on to study it at uni, too?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending